The GM5. The Ultimate in m43 Camera P*rn...

TwoWheels

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Evan
Battery Life vs. GM1

For those of you who have had the GM5 for a while, how is the battery life? I'm specifically interested in how it compares to the GM1 for anyone who may have upgraded. It can hardly be worse. :frown: But is it any better?

tkbslc

Mu-43 Legend
If you do a size to sensor comparison, the GM5 shows that most other m43 cameras are oversized and bulky. This is terrible!
My E-M5 is the same size as my full frame OM-2. What are they thinking?
Rant over.
Hooray for the GM5!

They are thinking people might like a well handling and balanced camera for the rest of their shooting needs. The GM5 is really practical for only a few lenses. Even the 20mm f1.7 is fatter than the camera and makes it so it can't sit flat!

Ian.

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Ian
Right. But the OM-D has a big hump that does not help the handling and makes the camera quite bulky.

Imagine the GM5 with an attachable grip that contained another battery and some extra controls. That you can take off when travelling light.

Darren Bonner

Mu-43 All-Pro
For those of you who have had the GM5 for a while, how is the battery life? I'm specifically interested in how it compares to the GM1 for anyone who may have upgraded. It can hardly be worse. :frown: But is it any better?

Roughly about the same, but I have not done all day shooting with the GM5 yet, if I did, you have the option to turn the display screen off and use the view finder only, that might save a bit.

GertJan

New to Mu-43
I am new in the M4/3 world and only entered with the arrival of a really small body with EVF basically to replace my Pentax Q
which i used along my Pentax K3 with pancake lenses.
The m3/4 set should be significant smaller than my Pentax APS_C system, but with a way larger sensor than the Pentax Q (1/2.5" sensor) and yes the GM5 fits in here wonderful.

The GM5 is mainly bought for street photography and should fit in the coat pocket.
From the shop i got the 12-32 zoom and the 14mm 2.5 for free :) both tiny.
But i prefer the rendering of a faster lens so first I tried the Olympus 17mm, but i did not like the out of focus rendering and chose the Panasonic Summilux 15mm 1.7 instead.

For the portret reach i went with the small Olympus 45mm 1.8.

To fill the gap between 15 and 45 I tried the relative small Olympus 25mm 1.8 and yes it is nice but, but not special...
So i think i will end up with the bulky Summilux 25 1,4 without hood it is more or less the same length as the 15 with hood.

The dilemma of system size versus "special" :)

At the end of the day i enjoy shooting with the GM5 and finds it easy to handle if you use the lefthand thumb at the bottom of the body and the lefthand index finger on the top plate there is plenty of grip.

A second battery comes in handy if you shoot more than 200 frames a day.

So this starts to look like a mini review :)

So long Gert Jan

sabesh

Mu-43 Veteran
I am new in the M4/3 world and only entered with the arrival of a really small body with EVF basically to replace my Pentax Q
which i used along my Pentax K3 with pancake lenses.
The m3/4 set should be significant smaller than my Pentax APS_C system, but with a way larger sensor than the Pentax Q (1/2.5" sensor) and yes the GM5 fits in here wonderful.

The GM5 is mainly bought for street photography and should fit in the coat pocket.
From the shop i got the 12-32 zoom and the 14mm 2.5 for free :) both tiny.
But i prefer the rendering of a faster lens so first I tried the Olympus 17mm, but i did not like the out of focus rendering and chose the Panasonic Summilux 15mm 1.7 instead.

For the portret reach i went with the small Olympus 45mm 1.8.

To fill the gap between 15 and 45 I tried the relative small Olympus 25mm 1.8 and yes it is nice but, but not special...
So i think i will end up with the bulky Summilux 25 1,4 without hood it is more or less the same length as the 15 with hood.

The dilemma of system size versus "special" :)

At the end of the day i enjoy shooting with the GM5 and finds it easy to handle if you use the lefthand thumb at the bottom of the body and the lefthand index finger on the top plate there is plenty of grip.

A second battery comes in handy if you shoot more than 200 frames a day.

So this starts to look like a mini review :)

So long Gert Jan
What do you think of the 14/2.5? Can you lay the GM5 flat with it attached? Thx.

gravijaflare

Mu-43 Veteran
What do you think of the 14/2.5? Can you lay the GM5 flat with it attached? Thx.

yes, the 14mm is like the 15mm, that it sits flat on the mount as seen in pocketlint's review

phpmaidxj.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited:

brettmaxwell

Mu-43 Veteran
My 20/1.7 basically lives on my GM1, and it really doesn't bother me that it doesn't sit flat. If you're going to put a tripod plate on it may interfere, so best to get a small one and with a slotted mount to move it forward/back.

ManofKent

Hopefully still learning
Real Name
Richard
The Panasonic grip adds enough depth to the body for the larger lenses to sit flat - the grips really improve the handling or me - just a shame they're not threaded on the base

brettmaxwell

Mu-43 Veteran
The Panasonic grip adds enough depth to the body for the larger lenses to sit flat - the grips really improve the handling or me - just a shame they're not threaded on the base

This grip looks perfect to me; it's fairly minimal, has a threaded base, and leaves battery access. http://www.ebay.com/itm/HOSON-ZA-1-Black-Hand-Grip-for-Panasonic-DMC-GM1-DMW-HGR1-/

I just refuse to pay $80 for the thing. I'm happy with my stick-on Franiec grip (for my GM1, not sure if GM1 grips are compatible with GM5).

Darren Bonner

Mu-43 All-Pro
This grip looks perfect to me; it's fairly minimal, has a threaded base, and leaves battery access. http://www.ebay.com/itm/HOSON-ZA-1-Black-Hand-Grip-for-Panasonic-DMC-GM1-DMW-HGR1-/

I just refuse to pay $80 for the thing. I'm happy with my stick-on Franiec grip (for my GM1, not sure if GM1 grips are compatible with GM5).

I had this grip for the GM1 and it sits in that grip perfectly, it is very well made and looks miles better than the panasonic grip. I was hoping it would fit the GM5, unfortunately it does not fit the GM5, it's base is just a millimeter or two thicker and wider.

sabesh

Mu-43 Veteran
My 20/1.7 basically lives on my GM1, and it really doesn't bother me that it doesn't sit flat. If you're going to put a tripod plate on it may interfere, so best to get a small one and with a slotted mount to move it forward/back.
Hi Brett, Any chance that you can post a couple of shots with the 20/1.7 mounted? Thanks much.

EDIT:
Nevermind, I found some pictures. Thx.

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/52574444

Last edited:

brettmaxwell

Mu-43 Veteran
Hi Brett, Any chance that you can post a couple of shots with the 20/1.7 mounted? Thanks much.

EDIT:
Nevermind, I found some pictures. Thx.

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/52574444

Those are taken with a wide angle, and you know how a wide angle up close can make people's noses look really big? I feel like it's doing it to the lens there. Here are a few taken with a telephoto, which I think are a better indication of the lens' true size:

001__3857_small.jpg
002__3858_small.jpg

Last edited:

gravijaflare

Mu-43 Veteran
i've contacted gariz, the korean maker of leather half cases, if they'll make one for the gm5. unfortunately, they responded that there are no plans to make one...

too bad as i really wanted one since the one for the gm1 looked really nice, adds a bit more grip to hold onto, provides some protection to the lower parts of the body, gives access to the battery and sd card and still has a tripod mount.

sabesh

Mu-43 Veteran
Those are taken with a wide angle, and you know how a wide angle up close can make people's noses look really big? I feel like it's doing it to the lens there. Here are a few taken with a telephoto, which I think are a better indication of the lens' true size:

001__3857_small.jpg
002__3858_small.jpg
Thx Brett, I appreciate that. It doesn't look that bad. I'm trying to decide between getting the 20/1.7 and 15/1.7.

Ricoh

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Steve
The GM5 plus the P15 f1.7 seems ideal companions. As I understand it, in Aperture Priority you can set the aperture using the lens and use the rear rotary dial to adjust exposure compensation, and ISO can be adjusted using the multi function controller as required. I like using touch screen focus and separately the shutter release. Having assigned the focus point on the screen, is it stable or is it easily displaced due of proximity of the buttons and dial, i.e. is in a bit twitchy in use?
The appeal for me is the small pocketable size making it an ideal stealthy street camera.

JoFT

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Johannes
Battery Life vs. GM1

I have both cameras since a while - i do not see any difference in the battery life time: You will need a spare battery if you shoot a lot during a day...

JoFT

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Johannes
The GM5 plus the P15 f1.7 seems ideal companions. As I understand it, in Aperture Priority you can set the aperture using the lens and use the rear rotary dial to adjust exposure compensation, and ISO can be adjusted using the multi function controller as required. I like using touch screen focus and separately the shutter release. Having assigned the focus point on the screen, is it stable or is it easily displaced due of proximity of the buttons and dial, i.e. is in a bit twitchy in use?
The appeal for me is the small pocketable size making it an ideal stealthy street camera.

The GM5 & GM1 are definitely an ideal street camera. I came to the GM1 because my family disallowed to take my big stuff (Canon 5D MkIII) in the streets in Africa....

I made a series of photos in Stonetown, Sansibar... http://delightphoto.zenfolio.com/p773710852

Shooting my favorites out of this series I had the camera in front of my belly and I used the touch release... The only disadvantage: My belly is shooting some stochastic shots... but those you can erase easily... I put the camera into the silent mode - and nobody realized what I was doing...

In this case: the lens was the 12-32 kit lens, which is ok, but the Primes are way better, especially the Summilux f1.7/15mm.

140423_GM1_0288.jpg
140423_GM1_0362.jpg
140423_GM1_0363.jpg

Ricoh

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Steve
Ok, I blame you guys, I've just pulled the plug, now awaiting delivery of a GM5 coupled with the P15mm f1.7.

Latest threads

Top Bottom