The GM5. The Ultimate in m43 Camera P*rn...

stickles

New to Mu-43
Love this gem. Any one got the silver/green yet? Been debating whether to get the black one or the green one. The green leatherette seems to be more interesting looking. How does black color wear after use?

wjiang

Mu-43 Legend
Hi Dave, is it possible to take it off after a few months, without ruining the leatherette material underneath? Thx.
I have one for my GM1, Richard's instructions did say it can be carefully removed. Unfortunately I didn't do it before sending in my GM1 in for warranty servicing of a sensor/debris problem, they need to do a replacement so I'm not sure if I'll get my grip back...

m43man

Mu-43 Veteran
The GM5 kit is available on Amazon right now for $680, is this good value? I wonder how much further will it drop?

Should we expect it to go down to GM1 level when the successor comes out at the end of this year? Currently there is a store selling GM1 kit for $530 on Amazon too.

m43man

Mu-43 Veteran
Guys, does GM5 allow you to set minimum shutter speed in AutoISO mode? When I had the GM1, this was not possible.

Darren Bonner

Mu-43 All-Pro
Guys, does GM5 allow you to set minimum shutter speed in AutoISO mode? When I had the GM1, this was not possible.
On the GM5 you can select auto iso on the manual mode, I think this is only available on the GM5, GH4 and maybe on the GF7 on the Panasonic M43 cameras. I'll check later today after work.

hazwing

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
On the GM5 you can select auto iso on the manual mode, I think this is only available on the GM5, GH4 and maybe on the GF7 on the Panasonic M43 cameras. I'll check later today after work.
Yes you can do auto ISO in M mode. However m43man's question was whether you can set a minimum shutter speed when in auto ISO modes.
e.g. you prefer a slower shutter speed than what the camera processor prefers (usually 1/2xfocal length) and instead bumps up ISO.

Darren Bonner

Mu-43 All-Pro
I'm trying this out now with the 12-32mm lens. Let me know if I have got this right, minimum shutter speed = 16,000th sec correct or not?
This is what I have found out with the shutter speed set to 16,000th sec at f22 will fire on ISO as long as the Auto ISO limit is set at 1600 or above. It will fire at 16,000th sec at F3.5 when the Auto ISO limit is at ISO400.
I hope that answer your question.

Darren Bonner

Mu-43 All-Pro
Just tried the auto iso at slow shutter speed 1/15 sec at f4.1 at 18mm on the 12-32 lens limited the auto iso to 12,800 & 400 in various lighting situations. In auto focus mode it worked unless it could not achieve focus in very dark situations, worked more with the focus assist lamp on, in silent mode, less so. In manual focus, it fired away whether in focus or not.

hazwing

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I could be wrong, but I think m43man's question is slightly different to what you are testing for...

E.g. you are shooting in Aperture priority mode. You are using a 45mm lens. You are shooting wide open at f1.8. Usually by default the camera will set the shutter speed to 1/2xfocal length = 1/90 . This is the usual rule of thumb for shutter speed needed to avoid camera shake. Based on the metering of the scene the camera decides ISO should be ISO1600. If you feel you have a particularly steady hand or if you are using a lens with OIS, you might feel you could get away with a lower shutter speed than 1/90... you might feel you could get steady images up to 1/40 shutter speed. Using this slower shutter speed will mean the camera might only need to use ISO800 which has less noise. Is there a way you can tell the camera you are happy to use a shutter speed up to 1/40 for you photos, instead of increasing the ISO?

On the olympus em5 - the minimum shutter speed is the same as slow flash sync speed. I used to have this at 1/30 as the IBIS allowed you to use slower than normal shutter speeds.

I guess you can also shoot manual mode in this situation, but then you lose the ability to do exposure compensation. You also lose the ability for the camera to choose automatically choose shutter speeds between 1/40-1/90 .

Hope this makes sense. Reading back on this... I don't think feature is that critical for me. I guess I'd just switch to manual mode instead.

m43man

Mu-43 Veteran
Yes you can do auto ISO in M mode. However m43man's question was whether you can set a minimum shutter speed when in auto ISO modes.
e.g. you prefer a slower shutter speed than what the camera processor prefers (usually 1/2xfocal length) and instead bumps up ISO.
Thanks hazwig, that's exactly what meant. Oly cameras have the flash sync hack, but I'm not sure if GM5 has it, at least on my GM1 it didn't. This comes in really handy in situations like when I am in moving vehicles, or standing on unsteady platforms etc..

I know AutoISO in M is an alternative but it's still not the same, without the exp comp

m43man

Mu-43 Veteran
Another question, is there some sort of "distance scale" in Manual focus mode so it's possible to set up hyperfocal distance?

Darren Bonner

Mu-43 All-Pro
I think I know what you guys are talking about, is this the same function that appears on the Ricoh GR and the Nikon Coolpix A? I don't think that function is on any Panasonic camera that I know of, it's only recently they have added auto ISO to the manual mode.

For manual focusing, you just get a line with the macro symbol at one end and the infinity at the other, just like all the previous Panasonics M43 cameras, no actual distance scale.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom