The GM5. The Ultimate in m43 Camera P*rn...

DHart

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Don
Nice (both the guitar and the Islay scotch)! :2thumbs:

I feel the same about the bridge pickup on a standard strat and I never play just the bridge pickup sound. That one I left stock since it came with the S-1 switch already, but I've wired a couple other strats in the past with Fat-O-Caster switches that let you combine pickups for a fuller tone.
I'd love to hear the S1 in the Strat! Yes, I'm not a fan of the stock single coil bridge pup. Wind it heavier or, better yet, pop a PAF humbucker in there and I'm loving the bridge tones!

Darren Bonner

Mu-43 All-Pro
I went out yesterday with the GM5 for the first time yesterday armed with the 12-32 & 45-150 lenses. The whole set up worked very well. For me imo the GM5 is much improved over the GM1 in terms of handling. The raised thumb grip at the rear makes all the difference, I don't need the optional front grip. I also liked the fact you now have a dedicated ISO switch. I do not mind the 16:9 screen, at least I can leave the touch screen on and I am no longer changing the focus area to the top right hand corner as I was doing with the GM1.
For me, the GM5 is the small camera that I always wanted and that I can carry in my jacket pocket. The 45-150 can fit in the other pocket and that is not to big or heavy either. Here's some photo's I took yesterday.

GM5 + 12-32 & 45-150 by Darren Bonner, on Flickr

With the 12-32.

GM5 17-01-15 by Darren Bonner, on Flickr

With the 45-150.

Darren Bonner

Mu-43 All-Pro

Ian.

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Ian
If you do a size to sensor comparison, the GM5 shows that most other m43 cameras are oversized and bulky. This is terrible!
My E-M5 is the same size as my full frame OM-2. What are they thinking?
Rant over.
Hooray for the GM5!

madmaxmedia

Mu-43 Veteran
I like that new GM5 control wheel, the standard wheel/4-button setup is always somewhat fiddly to me. I have to consciously try not to accidentally push buttons when spinning the wheel, but then sometimes I lose grip of the wheel.)

The only other problem I have with GM1 is accidentally changing focus point, I disabled the touch focus since I normally just do center focus and recompose anyway. This way I never have to think to myself, "wait did I change the focus point?" (because I'm really good at overlooking where the indicator is!)

Otherwise the GM1 is a great camera. Actually the E-PM2 is still a great pocketable camera, except the GM1 autofocuses a lot better with the Panasonic 20 (which I own), has better video quality, and silent electronic shutter is nice.

hazwing

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
question for those with the gm5 (or GM1)... does it have any "preset" modes like the "mysets" on the olympus cameras?

I am contemplating getting this as second body if/when the price drops.

Darren Bonner

Mu-43 All-Pro
Does it take much to access c2, c3 on the gm5?
Not really, press the menu button, go straight to the custom menu and it's on top of screen 1 as "Cust. Set Mem." Selct that and it shows yo C1, C2 & C3. You can use the four way controller buttons or the touch screen which is even quicker to get there.

Ian.

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Ian
I can't get over the AF mode dial. Surely it could have been put to better use? Are people changing AF mode all the time on the GM5?
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

DHart

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Don
I can't get over the AF mode dial. Surely it could have been put to better use? Are people changing AF mode all the time on the GM5?
I rarely change the AF settings. I would have used that dial for ISO setting or for exposure compensation, although the rear wheel works well for exposure comp.

As with every other camera there is, improvements can be made!

brettmaxwell

Mu-43 Veteran
Agreed! And why only one C on the mode dial? The GM1 has C1 and C2, if anything they should eliminate other options to give it a C3 and even C4.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom