The GM5. The Ultimate in m43 Camera P*rn...

D MATIC

Mu-43 Regular
Has anyone with a GM5 tried using a flash trigger on the hotshoe (not the supplied flash)? Is it indeed capped to sync at only 1/50?

DHart

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Don
Just popped in the charged battery and snapped a few of the Strat I just finished installing some new pickups in (CS Fat '50s and Dimarzio PAF Master humbucker in a 2014 Fender American Standard Strat, Sienna Sunburst finish, for you guitar folks out there).

Shot at ISO 1600. 12-32 lens. Shutter speeds I shot at were in the 1/8th to 1/20th range, hand held.

These are just camera JPGs, so definitely not the best image quality that the camera is capable of, but from just these, I'm really impressed right off the bat. I assume the IS was on (don't even know for sure) but the image quality is very, very good given the very low light levels, high ISO, being hand held, and especially being in-camera JPGs.

From the in-camera noise reduction effects I see in Lightroom, I know these JPGs will be MUCH improved upon when shot in RAW and processed by hand to JPGs.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

This camera is tiny! This camera makes my LX100 seem large!

I was surprised to find that the LCD is a touch screen - NICE! And the viewfinder does a perfectly fine job. I'm not disappointed in the EVF at all. For the size of the camera, it's a great little viewfinder and does just what I need it to do.

So... initial impressions are very, very positive!

Now, to get it set for RAW capture and put it to more good use! The only reason I shot JPG capture was that I forgot to change the settings to RAW. I don't know if the latest Lightroom will convert RAWs from this camera yet.

DHart

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Don
B and H offered the panasonic 100 dollar grip if you ordered the GM5 that offer was good yesterday have not checked if it is still being offered today.
Yep here it is offer is still good.http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1082161-REG/panasonic_dmc_gm5k_lumix_dmc_gm5_mirrorless_micro.html
mftn.... thanks for the info. I'm asking B&H if they will honor it for the GM5 I just received yesterday.

Another pic with the GM5/12-32

Geemone

Mu-43 Regular
I come from an era of SLRs and rangefinders (know what those are ?)

The latest, albeit superb feats of engineering, are simply too small.

I never carried my cameras in my shirt, or trouser pockets.

Dave
Well, why do you bother writing here then in the first place... ? :confused:

D MATIC

Mu-43 Regular
B and H offered the panasonic 100 dollar grip if you ordered the GM5 that offer was good yesterday have not checked if it is still being offered today.
Yep here it is offer is still good.http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1082161-REG/panasonic_dmc_gm5k_lumix_dmc_gm5_mirrorless_micro.html
So looks like the GM5 and the GM1 share the same hand grip. Nice!

I should hope all the 3rd party hand grips fit too. I quite like the one from amazon I have on my GM1.

DHart

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Don
I have the Franiac grip on the way... he makes great stuff. No bottom piece like the Pany part, which keeps the camera true to original concept... s m a l l.

ManofKent

Hopefully still learning
Real Name
Richard
Any left eyed photographers had a play? I went for a GM1 over the GX7 as using the viewfinder invariably involved me changing the settings with my nose. If the GM5's small size doesn't have this problem I might be tempted when prices drop.

Darren Bonner

Mu-43 All-Pro
Just got the GM5 and it feels a totally different camera to the GM1, it's the camera the GM1 should of been in the first place. I use to have a GF3 and found it was a fun camera to use, but wished it was a bit smaller and lighter. When the GM1 came out I had to get it, though I sold the 12-32 lens to pay for the PL15mm. Although I used the GM1 a lot, I never quite bonded with it like I did with the GF3. Also I had to turn the touch screen off as my thumb kept creeping over to the top right hand corner. With the GM5, because of the smaller screen and the thumb rest this now does not happen. Also I am left eye dominant and the GM5 has the option to turn the touch screen focus on or off when using the EVF. I have it set to off so the focus point does not change the second my nose touches the screen, when I take my eye away from the evf I can still use the touch AF on the rear screen. This time I will be keeping the 12-32 lens.

sprocket87

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Just popped in the charged battery and snapped a few of the Strat I just finished installing some new pickups in (CS Fat '50s and Dimarzio PAF Master humbucker in a 2014 Fender American Standard Strat, Sienna Sunburst finish, for you guitar folks out there).

Shot at ISO 1600. 12-32 lens. Shutter speeds I shot at were in the 1/8th to 1/20th range, hand held.

These are just camera JPGs, so definitely not the best image quality that the camera is capable of, but from just these, I'm really impressed right off the bat. I assume the IS was on (don't even know for sure) but the image quality is very, very good given the very low light levels, high ISO, being hand held, and especially being in-camera JPGs.

From the in-camera noise reduction effects I see in Lightroom, I know these JPGs will be MUCH improved upon when shot in RAW and processed by hand to JPGs.
Nice shots, and gorgeous Strat! How you liking the new pups? Also, hello from a fellow THR fan! I own the THR10C, the black one with slightly different modeling than the original. I think the THR is like the M43 of the amp world... It hits way above its weight class! :)

DHart

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Don

DHart

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Don
Nice shots, and gorgeous Strat! How you liking the new pups? Also, hello from a fellow THR fan! I own the THR10C, the black one with slightly different modeling than the original. I think the THR is like the M43 of the amp world... It hits way above its weight class! :)
Thanks, Jesse. Man, I do love the THR10. Amazing amplifier. And the pickups sound just great. I've had the CS Fat '50s for awhile on several Strats.... wonderful. But I've never really liked the single coil bridge pickup on Strats... just too thin sounding. Enter the Dimarzio PAF Master bridge humbucker. Nice, round, fat tone with great articulate clarity. Perfect!

DHart

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Don
I'm finding that the GM5 is definitely not my favorite m4/3 camera, for the obvious reason... it's so dang small and light weight. It is a great choice when you really need very small and very light. And it can output images of just as much quality as larger m4/3 bodies.

But when using a camera, I prefer the size, form, and weight of the GX7 first and foremost, followed by the LX100, with the GM5 a fairly distant third. It's an excellent camera, of course, just that due to size, it's not so much fun for me to work with. I prefer more to hold onto and some weight in the hand.

jloden

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Jay
mftn.... thanks for the info. I'm asking B&H if they will honor it for the GM5 I just received yesterday.

Another pic with the GM5/12-32

Completely off topic but Don I suppose given previous coincidences among the two of us, I should be in no way surprised at your choice in strats... :tongue:

DHart

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Don
Completely off topic but Don I suppose given previous coincidences among the two of us, I should be in no way surprised at your choice in strats... :tongue:

View attachment 39952
Oh man... no, it shouldn't come as a surprise, should it! :) I have made some further changes with this one, due to having a number of Strats and not wanting them all to be SSS. The Sienna SB was HSS when I bought it new. Then I went to black plastics and a Dimarizio PAF Master bridge bucker.

And currently, it's gone completely over to the dark side. (I love buckers in my Fenders, but not at the expense of having some with single coils!) One Islay Single malt scotch WAS consumed during the creation of this image!

jloden

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Jay
Nice (both the guitar and the Islay scotch)! :2thumbs:

I feel the same about the bridge pickup on a standard strat and I never play just the bridge pickup sound. That one I left stock since it came with the S-1 switch already, but I've wired a couple other strats in the past with Fat-O-Caster switches that let you combine pickups for a fuller tone.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom