1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

The GM5. The Ultimate in m43 Camera P*rn...

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Andym72, Sep 15, 2014.

1. Andym72

Andym72 Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 4, 2013
    Reading, UK
    ... especially a black one with the 15mm prime lens kit, and added black 12mm, 25mm and 45mm primes. Oof, I'm having a crisis!

2. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    The LX100 is stealing all the press, but I agree the GM5 is tempting. I'm not big on multi-aspect sensors or 4k video, so that puts this much closer to the LX100 as a place to spend my next $900.

3. alex66

alex66 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 23, 2010
    I am waiting for a UK pre order to come up, want it its divine, it ticks all the boxes for me in that it has an EVF some control over shooting parameters and its small very small. You are right with a small set of primes it will make a heavenly kit, the diddy 35-100 zoom is tempting also. I can see my bag in December being the two diddy zooms a few primes this and an EM10, its got to be the red one though.

4. brettmaxwell

brettmaxwell Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 8, 2012
    I've been loving my GM1 as my everyday camera (Nikon FX professionally), and the GM5 looks to fix every complaint I have; EVF, hotshoe, and rear dial. I sure hope they improved the flash sync speed though, the hotshoe isn't nearly as useful if it stays with a 1/50 flash sync.

5. biza48

biza48 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 31, 2014
    Portugal
    I understand the trend for smaller and smaller, but... sometimes, it gets so small that it gets in the way of properly handling the camera to take photos. I tried the GM1, and it was just too small for me. The GM5 is a bit larger, but still too small? Have to try it.

The truth is, for me, the EM1 with the Leica 25 1.4 is already small and light enough for my travels. If I go smaller than that, I will be looking at EP5 or GX1/GX7 size. Or the new LX100.

6. broody

broody Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 8, 2013
    That's my worry too. I find the GM1 controls cramped, but manageable with my average-sized hands. However, I'm seeing a lot more handling problems with the GM5 in spite of the grip. The room for those controls above the touchscreen is way too small and as capacitative screens are so sensitive I can see one endlessly moving focus to the edge of the screen almost all the time when reaching for those buttons and dial.

Also, the tiny EVF seems uber lame to me in spite of its resolution, and a flash hotshoe on a camera with 1/50 max sync speed? Lol... I'm just not seeing it for the asking price, and not when the GM1 is bound to fall in price after these news.

That's my impression too. It seems M43 has no answer for the ultra compact F/1.8-2.8 its own maker has released.

7. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    WOW - I want one!!! I've been eyeing an RX100III, but this is way more practical. Kudos to Panasonic.

8. microfourthirdsnut

microfourthirdsnut Mu-43 Regular

Oct 8, 2012
    Well I pre order the GM5 now have to sell my GM1 don't need two of them. The EVF was the deciding factor for me. I also am going for the tiny 35-100mm .

Cheers.

9. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    The GM5 is a tech wonder, but I'm not sure it's worth replacing my fire sale E-PM2+VF-4 combo I got for way under $200! It's still my favorite camera at Photokina though.

• Like Like x 1
  10. DeoreDX

DeoreDX Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 13, 2013
    Alabama
    $200 for a VF4 + E-PM2? That's like getting a free E-PM2.

• Like Like x 2
  11. alex66

alex66 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 23, 2010
    I paid £150 for mine with an EVF3 and 17mm pancake,also it had a useless leather half case.

12. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Gotta love fire sales and Olympus refurbs + discount codes! :wink:

13. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    The EVF makes the GM5 far more appealing than the GM1, at least to me. As for the LX100, some of us shoot a lot outside the 24-75 range.

• Like Like x 2
  14. broody

broody Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 8, 2013
    Still, now you have Panasonic charging less for a compact 24-75-equivalent 1.8-2.8 with a whole camera attached, than they do for their much bulkier 12-35mm F/2.8 on its own. Even if you have a M43 kit already, the LX100 basically makes their 'pro' zoom look like a poor offering.

• Like Like x 2
  15. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    No question, the LX100 could be an amazing camera. Pro Zoom or LX100, it's a bunch of $$$ into Panny's coffers, and I bet the LX100 will sell to a much broader demographic.

16. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    I would hold off until we see some pictures. There had to be some compromises I'd gather. You still need to fight physics. Also, no IS? I just realized that...

17. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    Absolutely. I was tempted by the GM1, but not enough to buy one. The GX7 is just so much better, though not nearly as small. I am likely to buy a GM5, at some future point, however. (The GX7 remains my most often used body and it won't be going anywhere.)

As for the LX100, that's a dream of a compact, general-purpose camera for me; one I will have with me at all times. (Pre-ordered one today!)

But I agree with you, the LX100 does not meet all of my imaging needs (especially in the wide angle area) and it will only supplement my GX7, EP5 and a dozen or so m4/3 lenses, not replace them.

A GM5 with the 9-18 mounted (and a kit of 12, 20, and 45 nearby) would be a great little set-up!

• Like Like x 1
  18. cprevost

cprevost Mu-43 Regular

Oct 31, 2012
    The gm5 is a camera you buy with your heart and not your head. It's way too expensive for the feature set for sure. Having said that I put in my pre order with Amazon this morning. :) Looks like it will be a blast to shoot with. Might pair it with the new Oly 25mm lens. Could make a really nice walk around combo. With the 14 and the 45 in my pocket it's a nice small size kit for awesome image quality.

19. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Yup. Rationally, I'd stay pat with what I have now. There's really not a lot of extra capability in these new cameras. Fortunately for the Mu43 makers, my trigger finger isn't always connected to my head.

20. MrKal_El

MrKal_El Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 24, 2011
    This was by far my most anticipated product announcement since buying the GM1...which I love.

Couple of things...I really wish they were able to fit the flash in... and WHY OH WHY couldn't they have added a control dial on top?!