1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

The Ghost Island of Hashima at Dusk

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by Gakuranman, Feb 20, 2011.

1. Gakuranman

Gakuranman Mu-43 Regular

Mar 22, 2010
    Japan
    A shot from my recent return trip to Gunkanjima. I've started using Raw + Jpeg recently to squeeze the most out of my E-P1 files. Loved processing this one :)

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 7
  2. jimr.pdx

jimr.pdx Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 5, 2010
    near Longview ~1hr from PDX
    Jim R
    Very cool - the abundance of sky detail makes it less important that the island is featureless.
    Thought I saw a ghost for a minute.. but I guess that's a water tower! :smile:

3. Gakuranman

Gakuranman Mu-43 Regular

Mar 22, 2010
    Japan
    Thanks Jim. That was the look I was going for. There was some detail in the raw data that came out, but I decided to set the black point higher to get rid of it and focus on the silhouette :).

The water tower you are referring to is actually a Japanese shrine. It's quite distinctive on this island, standing tall.

4. jimr.pdx

jimr.pdx Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 5, 2010
    near Longview ~1hr from PDX
    Jim R
    Well done for that as well, then!
    Dare I suspect the waves were also 'treated' somewhat? They look a bit more contrast-y than I might expect in nature.

5. Wlodek

Wlodek Mu-43 Regular

Feb 19, 2011
    BC, Canada
    Lift it a bit out of the water and it is Laputa. Great sky.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Gakuranman

Gakuranman Mu-43 Regular

Mar 22, 2010
    Japan
    Yep, I really went all-out on this image, trying a number of new techniques. A lot of selective contrast and brightness adjustment to bring out the rays of light. Maybe I could post the original tonight, but it might let the post-processing secret of photography out the bag ;p.

Laputa! Now that would have been stunning in this light!

7. Spuff

Spuff Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 5, 2010
    Berkshire, UK.
    What an amazing place. Completely new to me.
    This is from its WIKI page:
    800px-Stairway_to_Hell.

• Like Like x 3
  8. Gakuranman

Gakuranman Mu-43 Regular

Mar 22, 2010
    Japan
    That's right - the Steps to Hell. I had to dash up these to grab a quick shot on my last trip. It was harder work than I thought!