The Ghost Island of Hashima at Dusk

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by Gakuranman, Feb 20, 2011.

1. Gakuranman

Gakuranman Mu-43 Regular

Mar 22, 2010
    Japan
    A shot from my recent return trip to Gunkanjima. I've started using Raw + Jpeg recently to squeeze the most out of my E-P1 files. Loved processing this one :)

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 7
  2. jimr.pdx

jimr.pdx Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 5, 2010
    near Longview ~1hr from PDX
    Jim R
    Very cool - the abundance of sky detail makes it less important that the island is featureless.
    Thought I saw a ghost for a minute.. but I guess that's a water tower! :smile:

3. Gakuranman

Gakuranman Mu-43 Regular

Mar 22, 2010
    Japan
    Thanks Jim. That was the look I was going for. There was some detail in the raw data that came out, but I decided to set the black point higher to get rid of it and focus on the silhouette :).

The water tower you are referring to is actually a Japanese shrine. It's quite distinctive on this island, standing tall.

4. jimr.pdx

jimr.pdx Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 5, 2010
    near Longview ~1hr from PDX
    Jim R
    Well done for that as well, then!
    Dare I suspect the waves were also 'treated' somewhat? They look a bit more contrast-y than I might expect in nature.

5. Wlodek

Wlodek Mu-43 Regular

Feb 19, 2011
    BC, Canada
    Lift it a bit out of the water and it is Laputa. Great sky.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Gakuranman

Gakuranman Mu-43 Regular

Mar 22, 2010
    Japan
    Yep, I really went all-out on this image, trying a number of new techniques. A lot of selective contrast and brightness adjustment to bring out the rays of light. Maybe I could post the original tonight, but it might let the post-processing secret of photography out the bag ;p.

Laputa! Now that would have been stunning in this light!

7. Spuff

Spuff Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 5, 2010
    Berkshire, UK.
    What an amazing place. Completely new to me.
    This is from its WIKI page:
    800px-Stairway_to_Hell.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  8. Gakuranman

Gakuranman Mu-43 Regular

Mar 22, 2010
    Japan
    That's right - the Steps to Hell. I had to dash up these to grab a quick shot on my last trip. It was harder work than I thought!