The Gh6 -why the mystery?

D7k1

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
It would seem that the Gh6 is being unusual in the secrecy surrounding it. 43rumors has show several posts of Panasonic's commitment to M43 (one new vlog and the pro level video camera). I do think that we are going to see at least a replacement cycle closer to 3 rather than 2 years now. I have my pennies saved for the next time the G9 drops in price to add a second one. But if the Gh6 was announced as long as it was <$2K, I would consider saving for it instead. I can only think that Panasonic decided that to be competitive in the video market the Gh6 had to be 8K, they had 6K figured out on the Gh5/G9 - you can get a 10 minute fantastic 6k video with sound from those cameras. Are they waiting on a new sensor or having production issues, or something else. If it is an 8K camera, I think delivery time is going to be long and they will sell tons of them. Could there be a simultaneous release of the G10 (heck 10 minutes of 8K would be fabulous in a $1500 camera).

I don't need a second body as my G9/Gx85 give me a primary camera and a great travel/B roll/intown shooter. This makes me more anxious than the election:)

DanS

Mu-43 All-Pro
It would seem that the Gh6 is being unusual in the secrecy surrounding it. 43rumors has show several posts of Panasonic's commitment to M43 (one new vlog and the pro level video camera). I do think that we are going to see at least a replacement cycle closer to 3 rather than 2 years now. I have my pennies saved for the next time the G9 drops in price to add a second one. But if the Gh6 was announced as long as it was <$2K, I would consider saving for it instead. I can only think that Panasonic decided that to be competitive in the video market the Gh6 had to be 8K, they had 6K figured out on the Gh5/G9 - you can get a 10 minute fantastic 6k video with sound from those cameras. Are they waiting on a new sensor or having production issues, or something else. If it is an 8K camera, I think delivery time is going to be long and they will sell tons of them. Could there be a simultaneous release of the G10 (heck 10 minutes of 8K would be fabulous in a $1500 camera).

I don't need a second body as my G9/Gx85 give me a primary camera and a great travel/B roll/intown shooter. This makes me more anxious than the election:)

IMO, people aren't ready for 8k yet. A lot of professionals don't even think it's worth it. If i had to guess they are more likely working on the processor so they can record internally at higher frame rates, bit depths, chroma samplings, and across various codecs.

A lot of low end pros and high end consumers wet themselves all the time about being able to record in raw, and you can tell they haven't really thought about it. Raw video is a storage eating monster, specially at high resolutions and or frame rates.

If I had to guess I bet they are trying to get 10bit 4:2:2 h.265 working at all framerates. That has unforeseen selling points, because it means you don't need ssds to record to, and a lot of computers can use hardware to decode it.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom