1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

The GH2 Experiment begins!

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by nickthetasmaniac, Apr 2, 2011.

1. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    Well I've had the GH2 for a week now and I'm *beginning* to get my head around it... For a body with scene modes, this thing has a whole lot going on!

(Brief) impressions so far:

- User interface is stella :) Controls all where you want them, wonderfully customisable, comfortable to hold and the only dSLR I've used with useable live-view (amazingly handy when it works seamlessly).
    - High-ISO is great - comfortable at 1600 and plenty useable at 3200.
    - Low-ISO not so great. Shadow noise at base sensitivity, especially visible in matte/flat surfaces. Cleans up easily without loss of detail, but still not ideal...
    - FAST!!!! Everything - turns on instantly (unlike E-3), reacts instantly, AF is quick in all light (better than E-3 in dubious light) and accurate.
    - Buffer is shit. Panasonic claims unlimited full-size jpegs at 5fps - it does about 7 with a 45mb/s card...
    - EVF - ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Good buttttttttt. Colour reproduction is terrible, and a loooooong way off the LCD, which I don't get. Also displays a lot less DR than the sensor is capable of. Still, it's very big a bright and very handy with MF and composition and so on...

5581225761_85cafa11de_b.
    7-14/f4 ASPH

5581223383_252f6ac80d_b.
    14/f2.5 ASPH

14/f2.5 ASPH

14/f2.5 ASPH

14/f2.5 ASPH

5581437824_0929a62f0c_b.
    14/f2.5 ASPH

5581434376_62886d3458_b.
    7-14/f4 ASPH

5581225001_5d7f8fd8f6_b.
    7-14/f4 ASPH

• Like Like x 2
  2. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    That body is kind of funny looking with the little 14mm on it. I shot extensively with that combination at an event at my wife's school where I needed the low light and the quickness of the camera but the 20 just wasn't wide enough for the tight quarters I was working in. A couple of the Dad's in the room that day were into cameras and they kept asking me why I was shooting without a lens... :rolleyes: They were half joking but it does kind of look like a body cap on that camera.

I agree with your assessment, particularly about how instant and accessible everything is. The more I use the camera the more I appreciate how good it is. Unfortunately it just doesn't feel right for most of the shooting I do so its sort of become a specialty camera rather than one I tend to grab day to day for general shooting, where I usually grab the gf1 or the Nex, depending on the lens I want to use. But I'm going to give the GH2 a good workout now that baseball season is starting. We have regular tickets at a bunch of Phillies games and I'm gonna have some fun with the 100-300...

-Ray

3. nickthetasmaniac

Jan 11, 2011
    Hi Ray. I've really been digging the 14/f2.5, really like the length and speed for general day to day stuff, and its so little that most people don't even notice!

Gotta agree though, it does look odd. A few photography mates at uni have been giving me funny looks - I think they're used to seeing me with the E-3 and 12-60 :-D

4. Christilou

Christilou Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 25, 2010
    Camberley, Surrey
    I've only had mine less than a week! I bought it primarily to use my 4/3rds Zuiko 50mm macro lens. I sold my EP2 a while ago and replaced it with an EPL1 at Christmas but I didn't like the feel of the shutter button and the manual focus assist was not that easy to use without a vf. Anyway, the GH2 feels quite cheap and insubstantial but the evf is great for manual focus. I like the touch screen too. My only gripe is the thumb wheel. I find it a bit too stiff and uneven when trying to move it with my thumb to change the aperture and sometimes I've pressed it in by mistake and changed the ev compensation! Anyway, early days yet and I do like the look of the pics from that 14mm 2.5 lens :)

5. nickthetasmaniac

Jan 11, 2011
    I like the built quality on the GH2, although I agree that the mode dial isn't very tactile, the E-3 was great like that...

Something that's surprised me has been the responsiveness compared to the E-P1 and E-PL2, both of which I've used extensively. I didn't expect it to be so much quicker!

6. RonSmith

RonSmith Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 7, 2010
    Michigan
    Among other improvements, such as resolution, high ISO and AF, I especially like the improved EVF, which coupled with the one-touch-of-the-thumb-wheel, makes the GH2 the very best m4/3 for using Leica and other legacy lenses.

7. nickthetasmaniac

Jan 11, 2011
    Hi Ron, I've got a PK-m43 adapter in the post, so I hope you're right! My Pentax K and M primes want a home ;)

8. RonSmith

RonSmith Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 7, 2010
    Michigan
    You're going to love it, Nick.

I got started with m4/3 specifically to be able to use my Leica lenses. I also have a G1 and a GF1, and the GH2 is by far the best yet.

9. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ