1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

The gear paradox

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by tkbslc, May 14, 2016.

1. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

At home browsing internet: "I need 14 lenses, 10 filters, 3 cameras, 2 tripods and 7 bags so I can always have the perfect gear for every scenario"

Traveling/out taking photos: "why do I have all this crap? I should trade it all for à premium compact"

• Funny Funny x 13
    • Like Like x 6
  2. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    It's only funny because it's true!

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    ... and then you suddenly realise one day "hey, all I need is my GF and a 20mm 90% of the time" and you decide to have an eBay cleanout sale

I barely use this 300 f4 ... except at bird nesting time
    ... and at the sports carnival
    ... oh and my 14 is really handy too ... and the GWC-1 .... and I really do like the 45

wait ... why is my cupboard full again!

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    But our gear is both premium and compact ;)

It's alright to own all of it, you just have to make the decision what to bring and what to leave behind. Taking it all would be like taking an X100, Ricoh GR and LX100 out on a stroll!

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. MoonMind

MoonMind Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 25, 2014
    Switzerland
    Matt
    Yes, it's sort of a conundrum - but we walked into it with our eyes wide open: Of course, all those lenses *are* very nice and usable and will help you create pleasing images if used correctly ... But it's a fact that in many cases (if not most), less is more if your actual goal is taking images: Be it a single prime or a competent zoom, once it's on the body, it'll simply let you shoot, whereas a bag full of lenses on your side will, more often than not, leave you agonising over which one to use ... Been there, done that.

M.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  6. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    and still doing it looking at your sig ;-)
    :2thumbs:

7. MoonMind

Oct 25, 2014
    Switzerland
    Matt
    Yes, I stand by that - I still love my primes! And I actually do use them regularily - I just have stopped carrying all (or most) of them all of the time.

Only a little while ago, I used to go out with the 12mm, 20mm, 45mm, 60mm, and frequently the 7.5mm and 300mm in the bag; however, most of the time, the 20mm (or one of the other lenses, but less often) would be the only one I actually used. So I started to put the E-PM1 with the 20mm in one pocket and either the 45mm or the 30mm in another one (the 30mm is a little more versatile on the street than the 45mm - and it's also cheap and chearful, so nothing much to worry about). Since I got the 17mm, I tend to actually use that stand-alone (after the E-PM1 died, I got the E-PL7 for that very purpose). And if I feel like more versatility, I use the 12-40mm on the street (attached to the E-M10 with ECG-1). When travelling, I now have a core setup (E-M10, 25mm, 12-40mm, 14-150mm II) to which I may or may not add one or two additional primes (the 7.5mm being a favourite) and a second body (up to now, the E-PL7 with the 17mm attached) - though the latter only happens on dedicated photography trips.

On the smaller bodies, I hugely prefer single primes. What's more, I have actually used those primes with very satisfying results - I have shot whole events (not as the main photographer, mind) with the 45mm on the E-PM1 for portraiture, and some of my favourite images have been created with the 60mm because I can rely on its outstandingly even rendering ... The 20mm still sees some use (even though it has been sort of superceded by both the 17mm and 25mm for their respective merits) on the old GF1 that I still love taking out for a stroll.

So, yes, the cupboard is still full - simply because I haven't sold anything yet. But even so, I really like having the choice. I just don't think it's necessary any longer - and I'm aware that it may create problems instead of solving them. It's your way of using your gear that determines what's sensible and what isn't.

M.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    I'd be the last one telling you that having more lenses isn't sensible ;-)

9. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Yes, but for some us (including me), part of the fun is the gear in itself. I love taking images too of course, but it's more than that.

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. MoonMind

Oct 25, 2014
    Switzerland
    Matt
    I agree to a large extend - joy (and sometimes pride) of ownership, love of experimenation/hands-on experience ... I certainly own way more gear that I have any sensible expectation of ever really using to its fullest potential - but I certainly love to try and do my best when using it, and, however slowly, I learn. Interestingly, this might very well - over time - lead to considerably less gear. But I'm really not there yet ...

M.

11. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    Gear: We generally have less than we want but more than we need.

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Like Like x 6
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. MAubrey

MAubrey Photographer

Jul 9, 2012
    Bellingham, WA
    Mike Aubrey
    I have about twenty lenses between my two digital systems (Sony FF & μ43), but I never have more than one or two lenses with me at any given time unless I'm being paid.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    Taking the last sentence more seriously, what cameras would make the shortlist for 'a premium travel compact' as a one-camera solution that would satisfy those of us who are currently enjoying our m43 gear? What camera would you pick?

14. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    There are a few that come to mind I might pick. Sadly they all have the one flaw I can't seem to get past, the power zoom. They all drive me buggy.

• Informative Informative x 1
  15. NoSeconds

NoSeconds Mu-43 All-Pro

Ricoh GR II...

It'll be my next camera if I can resist the lure of the GX85

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. PakkyT

PakkyT Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    In my 4/3rds days I was actually very good at NOT buying a lot of lenses even though I often thought about buying many more. I used the 12-60mm and the 50-200mm as my one-two punch and then had the Sigma 30/1.4 as my "low light" lens back when bodies I used often were not much good after ISO 800 (the E-3 did 1600 ok). And then for fun the Peleng 8mm fisheye. In a way we were "fortunate" to have been deprived of prime lenses since it saved us from buying them all.

But then Olympus put out the Pens followed by the OM-D models and then those bastards had the gall to start releasing a TON of great primes we never had before followed by really nice PRO lenses. What were they thinking? So inconsiderate of them. ;)

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    I have a lot of lenses, but for any given weekend or trip I'll only have 2-4 of them in my bag, and whenever I'm actually going out to shoot I almost exclusively carry just 1 body and 1 lens. Occasionally I will bring a second lens in a small belt bag or sling pack (usually that is the 20mm/1.7 and the 50/1.4 combination for shooting portraits, which is a tiny, tiny set), depending on what else I have to carry with me that is non-photographic.

I enjoy having choice, but hate dealing with gear, so I don't.

It helps that all my lenses put together cost less than a 24-70/2.8 does, and several very nice ones have been purchased for under $100 (sometimes well under).

18. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    For a single compact then many would want a zoom of some sort. There are increasingly fine options with many zoom ranges from the 1" sensor world. OTOH, the fixed lens compacts are really excellent cameras, from the GR to the X100 to the RX1. I can easily see myself ending up with a collection of compacts for all occasions and then being undecided about which one to take.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    I went to Ethiopia a year ago with two GX7s, 9-18, 14-140, 100-300, 12/2, 20, and 42.5. This was the second trip with this pile and in both cases I never mounted a prime.

Came back home and sold all the primes. So I'm not exactly down to a premium compact but when the 9-300 f2.8 comes along I'll be down to one lens!

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  20. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    Did you do any shooting in low light? I know that when I go on those kinds of trips, I'm often worn out from a day of walking and I'm rarely interested in bringing along a camera to dinner "just in case." One more thing to carry, one more thing to worry about. Different trips of course demand different gear. I only used 2 lenses on my trip to the Galapagos, a 14-140mm for pretty much everything, and a 7.5mm for a little bit of astrophotography. I mounted the 20mm/1.7 while killing time on a patio at sunset at the airport, and no other time. Realistically, for that trip I'm sure I would have been happy with the FZ1000...though that camera is noticeably bigger than the GX7 + 14-140, weighs as much with my 14-140 v1 (more with the v2), and wouldn't have been suitable for the astro shots. Everything's a tradeoff.

The FZ1000 would also have cost as much or more than my GX7 + 14-140 did, so it's also no benefit in that respect.

• Like Like x 2