1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

the Gary Ayala experience

Discussion in 'Street, Documentary, and Portrait' started by Adubo, Nov 20, 2013.

1. Adubo

Adubo SithLord

Nov 4, 2010
    Globetrotter
    Andrew
    okay, i've had this thread running on my head for a while now. i've been in the US for four and a half months, just going around, travelling, meeting new people, taking photographs, and along the way, i met some amazing people, and of course, the Ayala household is at the tippy-top.

i knew G some 2-3 years, now. we got in touch via this forum, in the real street thread (i think). i was curious to know if he was a Filipino, so i PM'd him and as they say, the rest is history. he took me under his "teaching", it was never formal, we never spoke of anything that he'll teach me something, nor was it just a photobuddy. i knew he was somebody who believes in my photography; somebody who has the skills, knowledge, and experience to teach me things i didn't even know i can do. he even went to the extent of sponsoring my website, taught me a lot of things, became my photo critique, and one of the few people i know who wont bull**** me when it comes to my photography, simply because he wants results and he knows the results he's looking for.

[​IMG]

and the "relationship" didnt stop at photography, i've learned a bunch of life lessons, he guided me through decisions, gave me incites about the pros and cons of my actions and its subsequent effects. and when i was asked if i wanted to go to the US, the first person i told/asked about it was G. i knew it was a chance for me to meet him, learn more about him and who else can show me around LA like an LA Times photographer can?

we drove from San Jose, CA to La Mirada in some 359mi, and there, i met the beautiful Mary Lou. always smiling, always friendly, and always on the lighter side of things. we spent my first night staying home for a wonderful dinner, the home made Salsa, was the BEST i've ever had. the next day, was another fantastic meal, Phillipe's.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

we drove around, ate a lot, took a lot of pictures, and in my book, one of the best experiences i'll ever cherish.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

as i write this, the only thing that keeps popping on my head is, i'm going back home to Manila in a few weeks, spend Christmas with my family, attend to my relatives' need in the typhoon hit region of the PI, and early next year, go travel somewhere new.

this has been, no doubt, one of the best times of my life. possibly THE best, and i hope i'll have another chance to meet the family.

i'd like to thank Gary, for everything that he has done for me, you keep on saying that you didn't really teach me anything, that you cant teach me what you know, but believe me when i say, i've learned so much and became a better photographer.

10970123125_9a3f1f60f2_c.
    the Gary Ayala experience by adubo., on Flickr

I'd like to thank Mary Lou, for welcoming me to your home, taking me in as if i'm no stranger and the experience wouldn't be complete without you.

10970369403_1c5126f1bb_c.

special thanks to cookie! if there was a dog who idolized Ghandi, that's cookie. calm as a cucumber!

10970368853_ec64bdbe2c_c.

some images that I took

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

maraming salamat Gary, the experience is over whelming and will always be cherished.

• Like Like x 39
  2. CarlB

CarlB Mu-43 Veteran

Excellent experience and pics. Thanks for sharing them!

• Like Like x 1
  3. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    Thanks for sharing your experience! Lovely images, too! It's nice to read about friendships being developed from and beyond this online community...

• Like Like x 1
  4. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    Gary's a good egg!

I've never had the pleasure of meeting him in person myself but I hope sometime to visit L.A. and get the chance. He's inspired many of us on the forum(s), myself included - whether he knows it or not!

Glad you had a great trip Adubo, and I've enjoyed your photography on the forums many times so I think those not-teaching moments with Gary must have been paying off :wink: The shots here look great too... #5 with the trumpet player looks like a Gary Ayala specialty with a tight-in shot full of impact :biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
  5. Adubo

Adubo SithLord

Nov 4, 2010
    Globetrotter
    Andrew
    thanks, Jay. i love LA, aside from the heat when i was there, the place, the vibe, the people are awesome. yeah, i think i'm as lucky as i could be being mentored by people i look up to as photographers. Gary Ayala, Tony Remington, and 3 other Filipino greats in Luis Liwanag, Alex Baluyut, and Jojo Pensica. they're all great to me and the experience of being taught, whether they know it or not, is a fun experience.

• Like Like x 1
  6. yekimrd

yekimrd Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 14, 2012
    Cincinnati, OH
    Mikey
    Wonderful shots, kabayan! When were you there? Gary has been and is a great inspiration to both MFT and Fuji X users alike. The 1-day photo drive I had with him was a truly 'legendary' experience.

• Like Like x 1
  7. lakemcd

lakemcd Mu-43 Regular

May 27, 2013
    Montana
    Gary
    Great post thanks for sharing. Great that as a community we can see the goodness in one another.

8. Adubo

Adubo SithLord

Nov 4, 2010
    Globetrotter
    Andrew
    Hi Doc Mikey, i was there september i think... We were talking about your trip to LA and that a relative of yours live near/in la Mirada...? Have fun!

9. Adubo

Adubo SithLord

Nov 4, 2010
    Globetrotter
    Andrew
    Amen to that!

10. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
    Hey Andrew,

I know exactly what you mean about Gary, I even believe we might have met as i was up there and was supposed to meet with Gary while you were there or something couple of months ago!.
    Im glad you had a great experience and Gary is THE man!. amazing person amazing photographer!.

great shots! keep up the great work!.

• Like Like x 1
  11. mnhoj

mnhoj There and back again

Dec 3, 2011
    Los Angeles
    John M
    Outstanding article Andrew.

And it reminds me that I need to get together with him and try out his Zeiss 12mm.

12. Adubo

Adubo SithLord

Nov 4, 2010
    Globetrotter
    Andrew

thanks Chris! hope to shoot with you, soon. :)

13. Adubo

Adubo SithLord

Nov 4, 2010
    Globetrotter
    Andrew
    ooh! those Zeiss lenses are evil, i tell you. EVIL!

14. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    Dave
    what an experience! thanks for sharing. gary you're the man!

15. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    Anpther thumbs up i iny book. When I started out learning, Gary and I exchanged several PMs and emails and helped me get on my feet, and started to really develop a professional working attitude towards improving.

Sent from my LG-P769 using Mu-43 mobile app

16. GeBathan

GeBathan Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 11, 2012
    Los Angeles CA
    Gerard
    what a great experience for you Adu ! thanks for sharing it here with us too. I thought you were coming down here again this November before going back to Phil?

17. Adubo

Adubo SithLord

Nov 4, 2010
    Globetrotter
    Andrew
    Thanks Ge! Yeah as much as i want to, the funds for the remainder of the trip wont suffice. May be next year...? :biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
  18. Dan Lopez

Dan Lopez Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 12, 2011
    Gary was the first person to greet me and welcome to this forum back when I first joined, I would love to have an opportunity to learn from the likes of such a storied Photographer. Excellent post!

• Like Like x 1
  19. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Thanks Andrew and to all the photogs here.

Gary

_DSF5031-L.
    Andrew at the Cock-A-Doodle.

PS- Damn Andrew, I was expecting you at least one more time before you leave the USA.
    =G=

• Like Like x 3
  20. Adubo

Adubo SithLord

Nov 4, 2010
    Globetrotter
    Andrew
    no G, thank you. and to Mary Lou, too. i'm sorry i can't go to SoCal anymore, but if you wanna go here for a post-thanksgiving party, i'd be honored. :biggrin: sorry about that