The G9, the Oly 60mm and HighRes with Tethering

D7k1

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
So today, about our millionth day of rain here in Oregon, I wanted to see if the Pany Tethering program would transfer HighRes when shot to my computer. I just put my camera/lens on my desk to a small fossil (this Pelecypod is only 3/4" long, but about 8" in this image (crop of the HighRes)). This camera, this lens, and the tethering software continues to blow me away, yes it does transfer the HighRes images to my set folder on my desktop.

This is just a test using my desk lap, the lens cap to lift the lens high enough to focus on the fossils. This is from the RAW 80mpx file with camera set on the desk - a proof of concept so to speak. I have a Tri-ocular stereo microscope on which I mount either a ZWO 224 or 294 astro camera when I want to go quick and have very high magnification. But with a lot of talus (rock that falls out of a formation) to work on, and seeing the image on 50" screen this setup may be my "first look" setup.

If you have a camera that can tether (or just HDMI out to your TV), this might open up a new "game" for CD-19 time.

HighRes.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited:

RAH

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Rich
It's a real shame that for reasons that I cannot fathom, the Olympus E-M5.3 cannot tether. So I cannot try what your interesting experiment shows, even though my E-M5.3 can do all the other tricks necessary (i.e. hi-res mode). Guess I'll need to buy an E-M1.3 (ANOTHER good excuse to get it!! ;) ) or G9.

It's a real shame that for reasons that I cannot fathom, the Olympus E-M5.3 cannot tether. So I cannot try what your interesting experiment shows, even though my E-M5.3 can do all the other tricks necessary (i.e. hi-res mode). Guess I'll need to buy an E-M1.3 (ANOTHER good excuse to get it!! ;) ) or G9.
I am curious as tethering is in my future with the em5ll which I haven't done but understand it will do why they would remove this feature. Sounds like a question for GWC Rob Trek.
Edit: I googled it and am not sure if this is germain but:https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4462514

Last edited:

RAH

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Rich
I don't really think that deliberately dumbing it down to not be Pro level is the reason. I have no reason to say this except what I think. I mean, for example, other systems have tethering and don't seem to think of it as a pro-level feature. For example, even the consumer-level Canon DSLRs have tethering (at least they did with the Rebel T5i).

I am kind of hoping they just rushed the camera out the door and didn't have time to upgrade the software to handle its hardware to allow tethering. Wishful thinking? Perhaps. Anyway, I think it's VERY odd, and I agree that the oddity argues strongly for a deliberate dumbing-down.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom