1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

The G9 as a video camera.....

Discussion in 'Filmmaking' started by D7k1, Jun 23, 2019.

1. D7k1

D7k1 Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Nov 18, 2013
    I've had my Gx8's for about 4.5 years, my Gx85 for about 2.5 years, and my G9 for about 2 months. It is an amazing stills camera, pretty closely matching my buddies D500 even for BIF's. But what about video?

In another month or two I'll have an in-depth review, but some thoughts:

1. You need more than 10 minutes of fps 60 4K, well then it won't work for you.
    2. Need more than 30 minutes with a 1/2 second of interruption to continue, won't work for you.
    3. Need any 10 bit and better codec not for you.

However, if you need a great stills camera and a camera that can extremely clean 4K video at varying frames rates and did settings with reasonable in camera sound and HDMI and in/out audio jacks with fantastic 1080P stuff, then for the true hybrid shooter this camera will and can work for you.

Since I shoot in 4K and produce in 1080p , I now have A,B, C roll cameras that all produce really fine documentary, indy, and serial product. Oh, and did I mention I now have 180FPS 1080P for slow motion as well as 6K that shoots at 30 FPS at what every shutter speed I need (of course its in H265 format so I trans-code to an intermediate codec to work with it).

Hoping to do some documentary work this summer on a serialized project to really get back into video and I believe that the G9 will produce some amazing footage. We will see.

• Like Like x 1
  2. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    Doesn't it also AF track better than the GH5?

3. If you need 1, 2, and 3 you'll need a GH5. For the G9 also keep in mind that regular 4k at 30 fps is the normal 30 minute per clip limit. You can also record longer than the clip limits if you have remaining battery power or use a powerbank for even longer shooting, you'll just have to start each new clip over and over. Many people mistakenly confuse the 10 minute record limit of the G9 for all 4k when it's only a 10 minute limit for 4k at 60fps.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Michael Meissner

Michael Meissner Mu-43 Veteran

I don't own a G9, but people have posted this link to remove the 30 minute limit on the G9. Evidently the one drawback is that the G9 won't connect to your PC:

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. ToxicTabasco

ToxicTabasco Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 2, 2018
    South West USA
    Yes, Lumix G9 makes for a great 4K video camera. It has better rolling shutter performance than FF mirrorless and APSC, and better IBIS for hand held shooting. And, no compromises on AF in 4K like the Sony cameras. No 4K crop. And in camera slow motion feature for 4K 60P, and 180P for FHD. And, can do 4K 30p without overheating for 30 min. And can use focus peaking and AF while rolling.

There are many great cameras out there for 4K hybird shooting. However, those options have limitations/compromises when they shoot 4K. Some compromise their phase AF tracking, focus peaking, exposure setting features, touch AF feature, have huge crop in 4K, massive rolling shutter, time limits on 4K 30p, etc... When you look at the total video functionality of the Lumix G9, GH5, GH5s, you don't find those compromises when shooting 4K. And some of the new cameras can't shoot 4K 60P without a external 4K 60P recorder. These are just a few reasons I went with the G9 vs other cameras.

6. ToxicTabasco

ToxicTabasco Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 2, 2018
    South West USA
    Great tip on the record limit. I was wondering if anyone has used this hack to get max 4K 60p record time from the G9. And, if there were any overheating issues shooting over an hour straight. Or if there were any write to card errors.

7. Michael Meissner

Michael Meissner Mu-43 Veteran

I've seen reports on this forum that somebody got 34 minutes at 4K/60p. Elsewhere I think I recall somebody get 50+ minutes, though I don't recall if it was 4K/30p or 4K/60p.

Note there are some other limits to think about:

1) How long do your batteries last for recording? My G85 is somewhere over 1.5 hours on a single battery. Of course you can use the grip to double the number of batteries. The G9 also allows external USB-C power.

2) How much space does the video take on the card? I don't know for 4k/60p, but I remember doing the calculations that 4k/30p will fill a 128GB card in about 2.5 hours (maybe 2.75 hours)..

3) And of course are your cards fast enough to record that much data?

4) Is your computer up to processing that much video?

5) If you upload your video, what are the limits of your video hosting system?

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  8. I want to add that if editing 4k60 fps, you need adequate video editing software that can handle the codec that comes from the G9. I have sony movie studio that I've been using for the longest time version 13 and it handles 4k 30p just fine, however while my computer is competent enough to handle 4k60p editing, that particular software doesn't know how to process the codec from the g9 when doing 4k 60p and the video file comes out all jittery. I know my computer can handle 4k60p just fine since one it's a highend pc and two it can playback undedited 4k60p files straight from the g9.
    Just something to ponder about. Not too big of a deal for me as I continue editing 4k 30p and see no need to upgrade my software to something else for the time being. Most youtubers don't export their videos in 4k anyways so for me 4k 30p is fine for now.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  9. D7k1

D7k1 Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Nov 18, 2013
    I highly recommend using proxies when editing 4K60 FPS.My setup is i7700 4200 32 gig ram AMD 480 8 gig gpu 500 SSD render. Really (imho) you need a 16 core or more and 64 gig memory and maybe 2 GPUs if not using proxies. I use VPRO16. Use handbreak or somethings to turn it into a intermediate codec to work with also.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2019
    • Informative Informative x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.