1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

The G2 did it !

Discussion in 'The Watering Hole' started by Herman, Oct 8, 2010.

1. Herman

Herman Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2010
    The Netherlands
  2. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    Thanks Herman. An enjoyable read as his tend to be. But it seemed like just a few months ago the epl1 was his favorite camera EVER and then within a couple of months he'd sold all of his m43 gear for the Sony NEX stuff, which he absolutely LOVED, and now he's back to the G2, which he had to buy with his own money....

As he says, he only reviews cameras he likes and doesn't write about the ones he doesn't, so I guess just seeing a review on his site is a strong recommendation. But he does tend to bounce around rather quickly. Or maybe its just because the technology is changing THAT fast.

I'm personally encouraged by what I read about the AF speed on the GH2. I'm guessing within another year or three there will be PEN or GF format cameras with articulating screens, maybe builit in evfs, and super fast AF. Probably even expanded DR... And then maybe I'll think about upgrading. I do think an articulating lcd would be a huge aid in street shooting, but having never tried one I can't say for sure...

-Ray

• Like Like x 1
  3. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    I think the problem is the technology IS changing that fast. Back in the olden days a camera's life cycle would be 5+ years, easy, before new models came out. Nowadays a camera that is 2 years old is practically "vintage".

• Like Like x 1
  4. Vidar

Vidar Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2009
    Bergen, Norway
    I agree with you Ray, it seems he has quite a short attention span... And he likes to write in EVERY article that the M9 is the best camera ever, well worth its price, guess he needs to justify the price for himself..

But I like his site, and the G2 sounds real good!

5. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    BUT he didn't use the G1 much, by his own admission : so why suddenly the G2?
    I did read it and found it interesting but rather ... fannish?

6. semma

semma Mu-43 Regular

Nov 9, 2010
    The most important for me about Steve, he do NOT take the digicams to a testlab, but in the field and shoot with them, and then gives his opinion, just like he feels it.
    In my opinion, a lot more worth then any labtest, like dpreview does, the camera and lenses have to be tested in the field by good photograpers.
    I think all the big brands have to provide photographers like stevehuff all their new stuff so he can test.

When I open my daily websites in different tabs, stevehuff is, beside mu-43, one of them.

And of course he likes the Leica M9, who doesn't? I am also lookign forward to his test in the field with the Finepix100. I call it already the working-man-Leica, and cannot wait till Fuji brings out a second model with a tri-prime-lens... .

Look at the guys' gear, he still has an Oly MFT and kitlens and the 17mm pancake, if his gearlist is up to date.
    He had used over 40 digicams already when he setup hid wordpress website.

I like the simple fieldtest, I do not care how good a G2 does it in a lab compared to a Canon 60D, I wanna see pictures and feel how professional photographers think about it, when they use it weeks, day after day.

I think this quote from a Leica M9-lover (he loves the red point) says more then a thousand lab-tests: "With the 20 1.7 lens, the G2 is an amazing tool. I have gotten better images with the G2 and this lens than some of my M9 and 50 Summicron images."

7. NetizenSmith

NetizenSmith Mu-43 Regular

Oct 28, 2010
    UK
    For all we hear about how much faster Phase detect autofocus is I have to say that the AF on my G2 is as fast or faster than on the Alpha 300 I used to have. All this without the downside of phase detect too (I had to manually adjust the sensor position on my a300 because my Sigma 30mm back focused). The GH2 looks lovely, especially if you're into video.