1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

The future of OIS?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by dav1dz, Aug 1, 2013.

1. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    Canada
    GX7 is incorporating in-body stabilization that is as effective as Mega OIS.

Mega OIS is currently incorporated in all Panasonic OIS lenses except for the following that incorporates the more effective Power OIS:

Lumix G X 12-35 f/2.8
    Lumix G X 35-100 f/2.8
    Lumix G X 14-42 f/3.5-5.6
    Lumix G X 45-175 f/4-5.6
    Lumix G 14-140 f/3.5-5.6

Panasonic is likely to get better with their in-body design, obviously. Older Panasonic bodies still sell like candy, so I don't expect to see a change immediately, but what about the long-term?

How much longer before Panasonic updates their lenses to gain the extra weight and incorporate the better Power OIS?

Would Panasonic elect to lose the extra weight and incorporate no OIS of any kind?

I know I have a lot of question marks, what are your thoughts?

2. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    I think you can expect Panasonic to continue to put OIS in their premium lenses (like the 12-35) and especially the longer focal length ones. But this provides a benefit for the smaller (e.g., 20mm) and wider lenses.

But I have no more knowledge of Panasonic's plans than you do.

3. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    Canada
    I should add, what would you like to see happen?

4. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    Where are you getting this information?? I seriously doubt that to be the case. It is more likely Panasonic is combining the stabilizing effects of OIS and IBIS as they apparently do in some other cameras and camcorders. So, OIS will live on :smile:
    Edit: ahh, found it. Yes, I guess I was wrong and the 2 will not work together. I have my doubts as to how good it will be. oh well..

5. madogvelkor

madogvelkor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 22, 2013
    Connecticut
    I think they've added IBIS to encourage people who like using legacy glass, 3rd party, and Olympus lenses. Their lens based OIS is still better for video, so this just puts them on more equal footing with Olympus on stills.

6. eljay

eljay Mu-43 Regular

Jul 8, 2013
    Here's a statement from Adorama's GX7 product description page:
    ------
    In-Camera Stabilization for Non-Stabilized Lenses
    The LUMIX GX7 incorporates an optical image stabilizer-like technology directly in the camera body. This in-camera LUMIX MEGA O.I.S.* technology works as effectively with interchangeable non-optically stabilized lenses, to enjoy blur-free photography.
    * Nearly as effective as the LUMIX MEGA O.I.S. in LUMIX DSLM lenses.
    ------

Interesting that they actually call out that the new IBIS is not as good as the MEGA OIS in their lenses.

7. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    Canada
    Would be nice if it's a combination of two IS systems...

8. htc

htc Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 11, 2011
    Finland
    Harry
    But isn't Mega OIS light year behind the new Olympus IBIS? If so I can sleep peacefully without the fear of GX7 bankruptcy :smile:

It sounded too good to be ALL true.

9. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Big picture wise, there's some good in lens stabilization especially how Pentax implements it on their primes...
    Sony uses it
    Nikon uses it
    Pentax uses it

10. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    Pentax actually uses IBIS.
    Sony uses IBIS in their DSLRs/SLTs and OIS in NEX.

11. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
  12. htc

htc Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 11, 2011
    Finland
    Harry
    Sorry. I meant that GX7 IBIS is at the level of Mega OIS ("nearly as good") and that's not good at all? Please, tell me that I didn't understand correctly?

13. Petrochemist

Petrochemist Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 21, 2013
    N Essex, UK
    Mike
    If you read the messages you linked to you'll see they have comments like 'works with all lenses' A typical sign of IBIS. Yes the Primes are stabilsed (by the body) It doesn't work quite so well with older zooms as the system doesn't know the focal length being used.

The only PK mount lenses that have in lens stabilisation are I believe third party ones by Sigma. Where the same lens is sold in a variety of mounts.
    Unfortunately you can use both forms of stabilisation at the same time, where effectively one cancels out the assistance of the other.

14. meyerweb

Sep 5, 2011
    Performance of IS systems is very difficult to measure, because almost by definition the inputs are random and variable. One might work better for one person, the other better for someone else, or under different conditions.

Most of the comparisons I've seen indicate that the 5-way IBIS is superior with short FL lenses, OIS perhaps superior with long ones, but in neither case is the difference huge. Both are significantly better than Oly's old 2 axis IBIS.

So no, OIS is not "light years behind." The only people who believe that are those with a vested interest in, or love affair with, Olympus cameras.

15. meyerweb

Sep 5, 2011
    As does Canon.

16. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    X2

17. The difference isn't huge comparing lens OIS versus the 5-axis IBIS, but it is comparing those nice unstabilised prime lenses on an unstabilised body versus a 5-axis stabilised body.

18. htc

htc Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 11, 2011
    Finland
    Harry
    I have found that my own short MEGA OIS zooms (2) are at the level of older Oly bodies which isn't much. Panasonic claims the newer POWER OIS is 2 times better in certain conditions.

And now comes GX7 with "NEARLY as good as MEGA OIS"! I sincerely hope we are talking different MEGA OIS here because if it's the old one it's definitely nothing to die for.

What is interesting that they have dropped off MEGA/POWER OIS marketing names from the newest Nocticron lens. Also their primes and UWA zoom doesn't have OIS (except 45 mm macro). It's hard to make any conclusions from that. Sounds weird and expensive to have OIS and IBIS together with other switched off.

19. What would be nice is if it were impossible to have both IS systems turned on at once, assuming that they interfere as in the case of Oly body IS and Panny lens IS.

20. gregorywe

gregorywe Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 2, 2013
    Indiana
    I think it depends on if Panasonic will include IBIS in their other cameras going forward too. If only the GX line gets it and it's treated as kind of a side feature, I'd fully expect Panasonic to continue adding OIS to their lenses