1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

the full frame siren song

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by caimi, Nov 15, 2013.

1. caimi

caimi Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 13, 2012
    middle US
    Caimi caimiphotography.com
    It's calling again: the full frame siren song. With the soon to be released Nikon Df, I'm thinking full frame again . The Df has features that put me in mind of some of the great SLRs I either shot or lusted after in the 70's. And since it has been so long since I shot a DSLR, I'm sure I've forgotten the thing that got me to switch to m43 - size.
    So, today I'm going to the local camera shop to handle some DSLRs to be reminded of their garganutan, unwieldy makeup to help me overcome this insidious nostalgic g.a.s that seems to be preoccupying my mind. Wish me luck.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I'm drifting back the other way. Have owned many full frame cameras in the past: 5D, 5D II (briefly), D700, D600 (briefly), M9. Recently sold the M9 with intention to get a Sony A7R to shoot with my M mount lenses. However, I also picked up an E-M1 and am wondering why I want to shoot full frame at all... The ultra shallow DOF stuff is fun sometimes (eg, Leica 50/1.4 Summilux on A7R compared with Leica 25/1.4 on E-M1), but you give up face detection, IBIS, quiet shutter, etc... Right now I'm leaning towards picking up a GX7 to complement my E-M1.

That said, the perks of full frame - big optical viewfinders, very shallow DOF, better maximum image quality especially when needing high shutter speed in low light - are appealing and I'm sure another one of those will be in my future at some point if not sooner than later.

3. jeffryscott

jeffryscott Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 2, 2010
    Arizona
    I am missing my m43 gear, but am very happy with the increased performance, specifically AF-C, of my DX camera. I am now considering a move to FX. Wish I could own both, but there are just certain things the larger format offers.

Sent from my Event using Mu-43 mobile app

4. caimi

caimi Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 13, 2012
    middle US
    Amin:
    I've owned D700, Leica M8 and M8.2 and more film cameras than I can remember. I must admit missing the very shallow dof and I hope not to get blasted but the overall IQ seems to be just a bit better with FF. I never use face detection. IBIS is great but I'm not sure I ever had a problem steadying a camera. Quiet shutter is not a selling point to me either. It pretty much comes down to size. I transitioned fromSLR to various early Nikon D's to D700 to Leica to E3/E5 to m43 so my crossover was gradual. If I jumped back to any FF now from using m43 exclusively I'm sure I would notice it.

Jeffrey:
    What is it exactly that you find yourself missing about m43? If I go back to FF it will have to be at the expense of my m43 gear and I find myself wondering if it will be missed.

5. carpandean

carpandean Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 29, 2010
    Western NY
    I have a D600 with 50/1.8G and Tamron 24-70/2.8 VC. There's a lot to love, but the weight, especially with the zoom, is not one of them. I am asking myself if the advantages are enough. I can't afford both systems, but I might be able to swing a smaller m4/3 body and single fast prime (17/1.8, 20/1.7) for a jacket pocket portable cam, if I stuck with the FF.

6. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    at the end of the day its a personal decision on whether the limiting factor on getting your particular vision, effectively communicated to your audience is the choice of equipment or your own ability.

If you pay 500 dollars for a camera today, you will have a device that has the capability produce photographs that will satisfy the vast majority of audiences

Full frame... or as some us used to call 'a camera' is not a magical thing... yes it may offer a shallower and so much harder to focus depth of field,, and hey maybe it is better than smaller sensors when you get to stratospheric ISO numbers.

If you have to have the debate about going to full frame... you don't need full frame

K

• Like Like x 3
  7. slackercruster

slackercruster Mu-43 Regular

Jul 18, 2012
    NE US
    FF has it uses. But I only use a dslr for sports or macro. But for street, I don't use a dslr any longer.

I've given up on M43 for most of my work and use Fuji X. But...I dusted off my Oly m43 gear for some recent shoots. For stealth, nothing beats my m43.

8. darosk

darosk Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 17, 2013
    Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
    Daros
    I'm shooting a local MMA event today. My previous 5DIII would chew through this without breaking a sweat, so I'm curious to see how my E-M5 will do. I've never really put it through it's paces in an event like this, and this should be a good testing ground (it's indoors, and I'm assuming terrible lighting).

In the past, I've always disliked the idea of owning more than one system, but I think I may, in the future, have to re-add a DSLR system - however small - to my current camera kit.

9. Just Jim

Just Jim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 20, 2011
    I'd say do it. keep a m4/3 lens or two. the Em5 will be under $300 by next x-mas if you miss the m43.

Some people get sparked up by new gear, some are sparked by perfecting their old gear.

10. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    darosk

would be interested to know whether your doubts were actually based on the ability of the sensor/lenses or other factors such as flashbattery lie etc

K

11. darosk

darosk Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 17, 2013
    Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
    Daros
    Kevin: I'm mostly thinking AF performance. I've never really had to shoot fast-paced action in low light with the E-M5, it's not usually something I do.

Jim: I may do so before the end of the year. I'll wait to see what I think after this event.

• Like Like x 1
  12. jeffryscott

jeffryscott Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 2, 2010
    Arizona
    What I miss with m43 is fast and accurate AFC and fast long lenses. Otherwise, m43 does everything I want.

Sent from my Event using Mu-43 mobile app

13. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I love face detection. Not so much for the focus, though that too is nice, but for the way our cameras automatically meter for proper exposure of detected faces. Its priceless for event photography in difficult, changing light.

I used to think it was a gimmick. Now I hate going without it.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Mu-43 mobile app

14. Pecos

Pecos Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 20, 2013
    The Natural State
    I thought of getting a D600 briefly before m43 early this year, but the problems with mirror oil and dust scared me away. I'm glad, as the E-M5 is excellent for my needs. As Amin said, face detection is pretty neat at social events.
    If they could make a "full" frame the size of my Nikon FE at a reasonable price (oh, come on), I'd buy it. But then I'd have to deal with the larger lenses to boot.
    I agree with what Kevin said in his first post in this thread.

15. I hereby validate your desire to own a full frame camera.

Please sign here, here, and initial here.

16. digitalandfilm

digitalandfilm Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 18, 2011
    When it comes, it comes.. the FF thing is all nice, but I'm getting used to the APS-C that I have now.. can easily change to FF with Sony A-Mount.

17. daggah

daggah Mu-43 Regular

Feb 28, 2013
    Rapid City, SD
    David
    My OM-D made me realize my D7000 was pointless to own. But I did buy a D800 recently, and I'm not giving it up. It's a fantastic camera, and my OM-D just can't match it. But my OM-D is far more portable and still a fantastic camera.

18. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    What I miss most are the lenses. Plentiful. Inexpensive. Autofocus. And on lower MP bodies (like my old Nikon D700), more than good enough.

24/2.8 ($250) vs. 12/2 ($550)
    50/1.8 ($100) vs 25/1.4 ($475)
    24-135/3.5-5.6 ($250) vs. 12-60/2.8-4.0 ($475)
    28-75/2.8 ($350) vs. 12-40/2.8 ($800)

etc.

But I don't miss it enough to carry around the big camera. The price penalty of m4/3 is well worth the convenience to me. Even if there is still no m4/3 zoom faster than f/5.6 (f/11 equivalent) for less than $800...

• Like Like x 1
  19. caimi

caimi Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 13, 2012
    middle US
    Yeah, I miss many of those inexpensive Nikon lenses too. They'll probably increase in price if the Df is as big a seller as Nikon hopes.