The Foveon Thread

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by ivoire, Jun 19, 2013.

1. ivoire

ivoire Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2011
    Naperville, IL
    mike
    Since the Sigma DP series cameras are gaining more interest this looks like the right time to see what you have done with yours and trade tips and secrets. All Sigma DP/Foven sensor owners are welcome! Since there are several incarnations, list your camera model with images.

I recently purchased the DP2 Merrill and am enjoying it immensely. I wanted a simple, straight forward daylight camera with excellent IQ and find this one to be a perfect fit. I like the 'no frills' aspect. This camera makes me slow down and think more about how to get the shot.

Here's a couple from the DP2 Merrill

9089135984_f085c57060_b. anderson japanese garden pond by 2Deye, on Flickr

9089343262_b86e255d3a_b. anderson japanese garden pond 2 by 2Deye, on Flickr

Attached Files:

2. ivoire

Aug 6, 2011
    Naperville, IL
    mike
  3. ivoire

Aug 6, 2011
    Naperville, IL
    mike
    • Like Like x 1
  4. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    hard to see the value of the foveon under all that over the top processing.

my issue with foven is that if it is so wonderful why haven't other manufacturers licensed the technology

K

5. twalker294

twalker294 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 18, 2010
    I have to completely agree. To each his own and all but man, the processing in many of these is just painful. The first two especially -- eye burning.

I've read great things about the DP2 Merrill and I'd love to see some OOC shots to see what the camera does on its own.

6. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    I would say this is because depending upon what generation Foveon sensor you have, you lose a lot of Foveon IQ uniqueness at ISO 200 or 400 (again, depending on what generation Foveon that you have)

That being said, if you shoot in daylight, and/or you're a strobist/studio photographer, the ISO high performance should be irrelevant to you. :smile:

7. twalker294

twalker294 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 18, 2010
    RT, those are fantastic. Those colors are what would come closest to selling me on a Sigma camera. Thanks for sharing.

8. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    Point taken.... as I am in sunny LA at the moment as opposed to grey Belgium I am beginning to appreciate lower ISO's.... :)

I can see from your shots some of the allure... my partner had a DP1 and it was a wretched camera to use

K

9. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    If one is expecting "speedy" operations...best to look elsewhere...:biggrin:

But again, I don't know how much of an improvement the new DPMerrills are.....

10. ivoire

Aug 6, 2011
    Naperville, IL
    mike
    RT_Panther... Those are excellent. I took a few this afternoon while walking near the river. Not brilliant colorwise but i love the detail.

[​IMG][/url] flowers n bees by 2Deye, on Flickr[/IMG]

[​IMG][/url] leaves by 2Deye, on Flickr[/IMG]

[​IMG][/url] mushroom by 2Deye, on Flickr[/IMG]

11. ivoire

Aug 6, 2011
    Naperville, IL
    mike

Attached Files:

12. Haans

Haans Mu-43 Regular

Feb 18, 2012
    [​IMG][/url] flowers n bees by 2Deye, on Flickr[/IMG]

[​IMG][/url] leaves by 2Deye, on Flickr[/IMG]

[​IMG][/url] mushroom by 2Deye, on Flickr[/IMG][/quote]

I, for one, think the colors are just right. :thumbup:
    Glad to see you got a hold on PP. Thought your photos on page 1 were taken on another planet.

13. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    Dave
    Are the colors of the Foveon sensor enough to counter the quirks of functionality and short battery life? Because I'm seeing some very strong samples of the Foveon advantage here in this thread...

14. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Tough question.
    IMHO, I'm easy to please so on those sunny days, the DP* series is a nice little body to carry around for mostly static shooting.

I'd say the SD1 would make an excellent studio body but not so for sports...

15. ivoire

Aug 6, 2011
    Naperville, IL
    mike
    In my mind they were.

The colors, somewhat 3d feel and detail make the DP2m worth the effort but for color work you need daytime sun or a tripod. I'm averaging 180 shots per battery. For BnW work you can shoot much higher iso (some have managed 3200) if you are willing to process the images in Sigma Pro 5. This opens up BnW street shooting possibilities. Good info on BnW here:

http://www.getdpi.com/forum/other-cameras/46298-foveon-sensor-better-high-iso-than-i-thought.html

[​IMG][/url] yellow lily 2 by 2Deye, on Flickr[/IMG]

[​IMG][/url] tiger lily b by 2Deye, on Flickr[/IMG]

[​IMG][/url] petals by 2Deye, on Flickr[/IMG]

[​IMG][/url] green puffs by 2Deye, on Flickr[/IMG]

[​IMG][/url] cover by 2Deye, on Flickr[/IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  16. CiaranCReilly

CiaranCReilly Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 18, 2012
    Dublin
    Ciaran Reilly
    Some very nice colours here. In "Leaves" in particular the out-of-focus rendering really looks like the Sigma 30mm DN for micro 4/3 - although the lens packaging is much smaller on the DPs, I think the lenses must be similar optically. Here's a photo of mine with the Sigma on an E-P1 with roughly the same composition as "Leaves" above:

9027015859_7a2fd74908_c.

A reviewer from Lenstip thinks there are bigger differences though, so I'm not sure.
    But definitely both lenses, the DPs' and the DN versions, are of very nice quality, and the great detail retrievable from the Foveon sensor is clearly visible.

17. ivoire

Aug 6, 2011
    Naperville, IL
    mike
    Very nice example. I have the EPL5 and Sigma 30mm and would agree with you on similar rendering. The DP2 just has more detail and 'punch' for lack of a better term.

18. CiaranCReilly

CiaranCReilly Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 18, 2012
    Dublin
    Ciaran Reilly
    Yes, I agree completely, between your photos and some examples on the Sigma DP groups on Flickr, I really want one!!! The detail resolvable is outstanding. However, they are quite hard to find here where I am, especially on the used or bargain market, where I do most of my gear acquisition!