The Forth Railway Bridge

Iansky

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I attended a meeting at a venue almost directly under the bridge, it was low cloud but I still managed to grab a shot of the bridge.
GF1+20mm
The_Old_Forth_railway_bridge.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

sprinke

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Debi
I like the clouds too. You could probably do something really dramatic using Silver Efex.

ripleys baby

Part time philistine
Real Name
Forgot
border ?

Loving the shots. Great subject, classy processing.
Just not liking the border.
Could you post bridge shot without border ?
Thanks.

Caroline

Mu-43 Regular
Hi Ian, you've posted some really great B&W shots in this thread and the Scottish landscapes one too, and I particularly like the "vintage" feel of them.

I'm curious how you got this effect (particularly the borders but also the tonal range too) - what software did you use and / or would you mind sharing some of your PP secrets with us?

Thanks,
Caroline

aznick

Mu-43 Regular
I love the shot with the borders and I also would like to know what software you use for the borders.

Alanroseman

Super Moderator Emeritus
Hi Caroline,

I'm not answering for Iansky, just offering some info. Iansky uses Silver EFX Pro. And he's really really good at it...

As far as his technique, I'll leave that all to him.

Cheers, Alan

Hi Ian, you've posted some really great B&W shots in this thread and the Scottish landscapes one too, and I particularly like the "vintage" feel of them.

I'm curious how you got this effect (particularly the borders but also the tonal range too) - what software did you use and / or would you mind sharing some of your PP secrets with us?

Thanks,
Caroline

Iansky

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Apolgies - been away

Thanks,
Caroline

Hi Caroline and other interested parties, sorry but I have been away with work from the past 2 weeks and did not take my personal laptop with me........work, work, work!

I always shoot just Raw and using Photoshop to do initial editing (Levels,contrast,colour and sharpness), I then use Nik Silver Efex Pro2 to convert to B&W - I choose the "High Structure" setting, increase structure to about 64 then decide on any toning I want to apply followed by vignetting, and then choose my borders.
SFX (Silver Efex Pro2) is a superb package that I would recommend to anyone interested in good B&W conversions (I find them better & faster than using photoshop to convert).

I was lucky enough to pick my SFX up before price hike but to my mind it is still good value for money.

Caroline

Mu-43 Regular
Thanks Ian - that's very interesting. I did download a copy of Silver Efex at one point but didn't really play around with it enough to discover these effects - in the end I let the trial expire. However seeing your photos and what you've done with it may well inspire me to have another go!

Thanks,
Caroline

Latest threads

Top Bottom