The Forth Railway Bridge

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by Iansky, Oct 16, 2011.

1. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    I attended a meeting at a venue almost directly under the bridge, it was low cloud but I still managed to grab a shot of the bridge.
    • Like Like x 12
  2. chrism_scotland

chrism_scotland Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2011
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Cracking shot! Looks really good in B&W! I'd put that on my wall!
  3. FetterSteve

FetterSteve New to Mu-43

Oct 10, 2011
    Excellent shot. The low cloud adds to the pic IMHO
  4. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Thanks Both,

I wanted to create an image that did not look modern and date the end result.
  5. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    I like the clouds too. You could probably do something really dramatic using Silver Efex.
  6. ripleys baby

ripleys baby Straw clutcher

Aug 10, 2011
    border ?

Loving the shots. Great subject, classy processing.
    Just not liking the border.
    Could you post bridge shot without border ?
  7. Caroline

Caroline Mu-43 Regular

Mar 4, 2010
    Hi Ian, you've posted some really great B&W shots in this thread and the Scottish landscapes one too, and I particularly like the "vintage" feel of them.

I'm curious how you got this effect (particularly the borders but also the tonal range too) - what software did you use and / or would you mind sharing some of your PP secrets with us?

8. aznick

aznick Mu-43 Regular

Mar 4, 2010
    Arizona USA
    I love the shot with the borders and I also would like to know what software you use for the borders.
  9. Alanroseman

Alanroseman Super Moderator Emeritus

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Hi Caroline,

I'm not answering for Iansky, just offering some info. Iansky uses Silver EFX Pro. And he's really really good at it...

As far as his technique, I'll leave that all to him.

Cheers, Alan

10. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Apolgies - been away

Hi Caroline and other interested parties, sorry but I have been away with work from the past 2 weeks and did not take my personal laptop with, work, work!

I always shoot just Raw and using Photoshop to do initial editing (Levels,contrast,colour and sharpness), I then use Nik Silver Efex Pro2 to convert to B&W - I choose the "High Structure" setting, increase structure to about 64 then decide on any toning I want to apply followed by vignetting, and then choose my borders.
    SFX (Silver Efex Pro2) is a superb package that I would recommend to anyone interested in good B&W conversions (I find them better & faster than using photoshop to convert).

I was lucky enough to pick my SFX up before price hike but to my mind it is still good value for money.
    • Like Like x 2
  11. Caroline

Caroline Mu-43 Regular

Mar 4, 2010
    Thanks Ian - that's very interesting. I did download a copy of Silver Efex at one point but didn't really play around with it enough to discover these effects - in the end I let the trial expire. However seeing your photos and what you've done with it may well inspire me to have another go!