The Forgotten PEN?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by scantron, Nov 29, 2011.

1. scantron

scantron Mu-43 Regular

May 10, 2010
    Just a silly thread here-

I'm still shooting with an E-PL1, but I rarely see them mentioned here. Regularly I see threads on the E-P1, 2, and later L-series. I can understand the E-P1's lasting appeal since it was the first, and the E-P2's lasting appeal since it was an improvement on the first... (great prices on E-P2's these days, btw)

Is the E-PL1 the forgotten PEN model? Or are we PL1 shooters too busy out shooting with a great camera to write about it?
  2. avidone

avidone Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 24, 2011
    Rome, Italy
    at least in Italy, and I think elsewhere, new E-PL1 kits are now available at great prices, meaning probably more people are happily using them, but on this here forum we are mostly a bunch of gearheads, so we don't talk about it... I have to admit that I bought an E-P1 as a second body, but it has become the Number One, with E-PL1 relegated to second-- it still makes great pics, just not quite as nice to handle as the E-P1

At the great prices that are showing up now for twin zoom sets and so-on, I would not hesitate to recommend E-PL1 to anyone wanting to start out in the EVIL camera world
  3. carpandean

carpandean Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 29, 2010
    Western NY
    They're kinda like mopeds - fun to use, but you hope your friends don't see you doing it.
  4. Rudi

Rudi Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 16, 2010
    FWIW, I used to have an E-PL1, but found that I didn't use it too often because I found it a little lacking. The LCD screen was useless in bright sunlight, and it didn't like to focus in low light. It was a little too slow and sluggish all around, too. That said, I loved the images that came out of it. So I replaced it with an E-P3 not that long ago, and couldn't be happier. The E-P3 is what I always wanted out of a :43: camera.

If you can live with the E-PL1's shortcomings, I think it's a great camera at today's prices. You can buy one NEW for around $250 or less these days, and they are well worth that price!
  5. s0nus

s0nus Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 13, 2010
    Hah! I think this is your answer.

I picked up my EPL1 sometime late August of 2010 I believe. At the time, my choices were EP1, EPL1, and EP2 from the Oly line. I went with the EPL1 since the EP2 was too expensive for me and the EPL1 has a flash and other minor enhancements over the EP1. It was the obvious choice for me then, and I suspect other buying during this period came to a similar conclusion as me.

I'm happy with the camera and happy with the images it produces. I go through bouts with GAS every once in a while, but I try to remind myself that it's not the camera that is limiting me creatively (although I would love a thumb-wheel to change aperture!).
  6. Jorg.S

Jorg.S Mu-43 Regular

I bought a twin lens kit 3 or 4 month ago on the cheap to try out and see if I like m4/3.
    I'm constantly blown away by this little cam but I have to say that I do miss a viewfinder.
    I have really been considering getting one of the evf's but can buy a G2 or G1 for the same price and am very conflicted by this and on what to do.
    But back to the EPL1 this camera is very impressive for the cost and would make a great start into m4/3 for anyone even with it's little quirks here and there.
  7. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    It was my first foray into m43. I got a lot of great shots with mine. In the end I found that it's shortcomings were such that I wanted something different. It's a heck of a bargain and a really capable camera but you're right it lacks the sex appeal of the E-P1/P2 and the features of the E-PL2. It also doesn't help that it's cosmetically challenged.

If you have one...celebrate your uniqueness!!!
  8. Hyubie

Hyubie Unique like everyone else

Oct 15, 2010
    I love my E-PL1, so much so that it's a hindrance between me and the G3. :smile: I really don't want to part with it, but I am selling it because at this point I don't need two bodies. If someone only bought my G3 when I was selling it...
  9. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    You couldn't sell the G3? Seriously?
  10. Brewed4Thought

Brewed4Thought Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 18, 2011
    Santa Rosa, CA
    I love my PL-1. Not sure what dixeyk means by "cosmetically challenged," I love the way it looks and get compliments on it all the time.

I plan on sticking with the PL-1, even though I have noticed some weaknesses, until Olympus improves their sensor. All the other features the newer bodies offer don't really do it for me as I can take great pics with the PL-1 and have little interest in a touch screen.

11. Hyubie

Hyubie Unique like everyone else

Oct 15, 2010
    Look at the classifieds, recently there's a lot of G3's for sale, and there are no bites, unless you really bring the price down I guess. I'd rather use it than take the hit. :smile:
  12. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    In all honesty I have to say I find the E-PL1 rather homely. Curiously, I find the build quality quite nice which is something that I had read was a complaint about it. I realize that attractiveness is really a matter of taste. One of my favorite cars was a 1986 Subaru GL wagon and by all accounts it was ugly, slow and prone to rust. I still adored moine and would gladly have one again.
  13. drizek

drizek Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 5, 2011
    Absolutely how I feel. The PL1 gives the same pictures as any other 4/3 camera. Until they make one that is actually better, I'm sticking with it. If the G3 had IBIS I would buy one in a second, but it feels a bit like two steps forward one step backwards.
  14. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    I'm still pondering whether or not to convert my E-PL1 into an IR body...:smile:
  15. drizek

drizek Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 5, 2011
    DIY or professionally?
  16. ZephyrZ33

ZephyrZ33 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern California
    Love the capable EPL1 but it's definitely one of those "set-it-and-forget-it" cameras since you have to go digging back and forth in those menus. You also have to trust your shot since the LCD isn't so great.

And the only reason I ever harped on the look, was because it's siblings EP1-2 looked so damn good. I still prefer it's form over the psuedo-dslr shape.
  17. timallenphoto

timallenphoto Mu-43 Veteran

May 20, 2011
    Kent, England
    I think the biggest issue with the E-PL1 is that it's truly hideous to look at. I know looks shouldn't really matter but man it's one fugly camera, especially when sat next to any other Olympus body.
    • Like Like x 1
  18. drizek

drizek Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 5, 2011
    I think it looks good with the 20mm, and not too bad with the 45mm.

Lenses like the Mk.I and the 40-150 can make any camera look terrible.
  19. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    Totally agree, i wouldn't shoot with it if you paid me.
  20. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I fell in love with EPL1 and my only problem was slow shutter speed, and refuse to focus in low light . Apart from that EPL1 was my favourite camera and Infact when I look at the pics which i took with it , I regret a lot. None of the later PENs offered me the same IQ as EPL1 . I am thinking of getting it back again and just add panny 14 mm on it and leave it.
    Here is one sample