The Folly et al.

JensM

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
As screename
Had some time on my hands earlier this week and thought I would spend it with the camera. Tried something I havent done before and shot manual, which was... interesting, and also with heftiest the black and white simulation profile in the G9, alongside raw.

Things I took away from the experience:

Even at high noon colours works (somewhat).
BW is texture, patterns and such.
Manual is great fun, but keep an eye on the Exposure compensation auto stuff. Must look a bit closer into it. I normally shoot aperture priority, but will put a bit of effort into working the other possibilites on the camera. Probably "force of habit" from the fifteen years I used the analog EOS.
Winterwonderland-16.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
Winterwonderland-2.jpg
The folly.jpg
The tree.jpg
The optimist.jpg

Last edited:

Brownie

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Tim
Manual is no mystery, it works exactly the same except you don't need exposure compensation because, well...you just choose which setting to change. If you want exposure comp you get to choose if it will be in aperture, shutter, ISO, two of the three, all three, etc.

I shoot in M the majority of the time for no real reason other than I am used to it. Exceptions are when I'm out driving around and I stop in the middle of the road to take a shot, then the camera stays on P because it's faster. If I want to change something one dial does it, but I take what I get because there usually isn't time to be picky. At the drag strip I use a custom P mode with exposure compensation assigned to the front dial...sometimes. The rest of the time I just shoot in M, and if I need adjustment I choose whether it's to shutter or aperture. Not a big fan of fussing with ISO unless I have to, probably another holdover from film.

Rarely, if ever, do I use A or S. I've probably used iAuto more than the two of those combined!

robcee

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Rob Campbell

JensM

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
As screename
Manual is no mystery, it works exactly the same except you don't need exposure compensation because, well...you just choose which setting to change. If you want exposure comp you get to choose if it will be in aperture, shutter, ISO, two of the three, all three, etc.

I "grew" up with the Olympus OM1 and somewhat the Rollei 35, so I have done it, it is just not very current so to speak. Got lazy somewhere in the 90s and kept on the EOS620/Yashica T3 combo, with an occasional use of the manuals. Probably first time since the turn of the century this one. Found that the Ex.Comp worked as the old needle lightmeter, punching values up and down as I manipulated the shutter/apperture wheel. Could have been clearer when I typed it out. :)

Brownie

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Tim
no mystery to you, but to someone whose never used it before it might be. :)

But it doesn't need to be. Do you know why people find it so hard to lose weight? It's because everyone keeps telling them how hard it is to lose weight.

If anyone has ever observed settings when in PAS, then they already know the M. They're no different except the camera isn't choosing them, they are. Use the camera in preferred mode and watch the settings change as the dial is moved. No difference.

I can understand the fear of the unknown back when all you had was film and learning this could be costly. Nowadays the only thing you risk is having to hit the delete button more often!

I "grew" up with the Olympus OM1 and somewhat the Rollei 35, so I have done it, it is just not very current so to speak. Got lazy somewhere in the 90s and kept on the EOS620/Yashica T3 combo, with an occasional use of the manuals. Probably first time since the turn of the century this one. Found that the Ex.Comp worked as the old needle lightmeter, punching values up and down as I manipulated the shutter/apperture wheel. Could have been clearer when I typed it out. :)

Been there, done that. With me is was a Minolta Maxxum. It was soooo cooool! It did everything for me! Hah! Take that you K-1000 suckers! No moving dials for me! I spent the big bucks!

And became very, very lazy. Then when video cameras became affordable, it got worse yet! When I got back into photography made myself shoot in M. Made my daughter learn, and to this day I make myself shoot in RAW with only the rare exception, for no other reason than to try and get better at processing.

Maybe I'm just anal? :laugh1:

JensM

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
As screename
Sounds about right, I shot JPEGs for the first 15 years digitally, 9 years with a PS combined with the 620 for "serious work" (read hollidays) the first 4-5 years of that. Didn't get into RAWs proper before I ventured into M43/LR in 2016. :whistling:

John King

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
John ...
Sounds about right, I shot JPEGs for the first 15 years digitally, 9 years with a PS combined with the 620 for "serious work" (read hollidays) the first 4-5 years of that. Didn't get into RAWs proper before I ventured into M43/LR in 2016. :whistling:
Hmmm, Jens.

I'm just reprocessing all my old Nikon Coolpix E5000 RAWs as modern RAW processors do a far superior job. I'm comparing CS2 with 2020 CC.

JensM

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
As screename
no mystery to you, but to someone whose never used it before it might be. :)

There's a book I recommend a bunch called Understanding Exposure. It talks about the Exposure Triangle (ISO, Aperture and Shutter Speed) and explains the mechanics. Was originally written for film cameras but applies just as well to DSLR and mirrorless systems.

https://www.amazon.ca/Understanding-Exposure-Fourth-Photographs-Camera/dp/1607748509/

I have the first or second edition of that on the shelves. I probably should read it soon. :drinks:

JensM

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
As screename
Hmmm, Jens.

I'm just reprocessing all my old Nikon Coolpix E5000 RAWs as modern RAW processors do a far superior job. I'm comparing CS2 with 2020 CC.

Sorry for the late reply, I must have missed your post the first time around.

I have some notions on wringing all the old JPG (or at least those that are not totally trash) through the JPG to Raw converter in Topaz . It will not render then 100% as RAW goes, but I think it will be a worthy upgrade, there are some strings that will go through Gigapixel as well and I will see how it fares from there.

I have been very moderat in the culling on them and hangs on to even blurry pics if the pics falls into the "family" categori, but I havent been a heavy shooter and quite a few are probably lost to time, so in average I think it will be manageable to do in batches. I would guess its about 1000 pics pr year in average, but then again, its over 15 years.

Planning is underway to get the workflow and archiving down pat, and needless to say, there will be back-ups before anything is started. Not entirely sure about what/how to intergrate them back in the loop afterwards though, it is a bit the same with the analog family collection that I am digitialising, it stretches over about 110 years.

Am thinking separate catalogue for that project, may even divide them into which parts of the family they are stemming from.

John King

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
John ...
But it doesn't need to be. Do you know why people find it so hard to lose weight? It's because everyone keeps telling them how hard it is to lose weight.

If anyone has ever observed settings when in PAS, then they already know the M. They're no different except the camera isn't choosing them, they are. Use the camera in preferred mode and watch the settings change as the dial is moved. No difference.

I can understand the fear of the unknown back when all you had was film and learning this could be costly. Nowadays the only thing you risk is having to hit the delete button more often!

Been there, done that. With me is was a Minolta Maxxum. It was soooo cooool! It did everything for me! Hah! Take that you K-1000 suckers! No moving dials for me! I spent the big bucks!

And became very, very lazy. Then when video cameras became affordable, it got worse yet! When I got back into photography made myself shoot in M. Made my daughter learn, and to this day I make myself shoot in RAW with only the rare exception, for no other reason than to try and get better at processing.

Maybe I'm just anal? :laugh1:
Tim, my 'problem' was always composition, not the technical stuff.

I read a lot, and can recommend some good books, if anyone's interested.

My aim was to try to take pictures of what I was seeing, not what I was looking at.

To try to force myself into that mode of seeing, I vowed never to crop (maybe the occasional straighten ... ). I think that this strategy gradually worked.

My artist wife now thinks that my composition of form and colour has improved dramatically over about 5-10 years. I still don't crop. Maybe 1 in a 1,000 photos, and then minimally.

Almost all the photos I post here and on my web site are OoC JPEGs with a small USM applied.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom