The flashlight on E-PM1

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Jüri, Jan 13, 2014.

1. Jüri

Jüri Mu-43 Regular

Dec 14, 2013
    Tartu
    Jüri
    For some unimaginable reason Olympus decided to add a powerful blue flashlight by the power button on E-PM1. I'm obviously talking about the power indicator light that makes shooting in dark environment extremely unpleasant, not to mention the drain on the battery. Are there any tricks out there that enable to cover this light and thus make the camera usable in dark? At the moment I'm just using a piece of electric tape, but this doesn't look very aesthetic. I'd even be willing to remove the LED altogether, but this seems to be a too arduous process.

2. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    Is it brighter than your screen when shooting in a dark environment ?

3. aidanw

aidanw Mu-43 Regular

Nov 19, 2012
    Wellington, NZ
    I agree with this. Try going somewhere to shoot glowworms and the blue light in a cave is actually very distracting because it's on even if the screen has dimmed or is off.

4. Jüri

Jüri Mu-43 Regular

Dec 14, 2013
    Tartu
    Jüri
    I haven't compared, but I'm quite sure it is. The indicator is bright enough to aid me finding things in my camera bag, so (unnecessarily) useable as a flashlight. However, this is not pleasant when trying to remain unnoticed among people. As mentioned by previous poster, when shooting in enclosed environment photos will be polluted by the blue glow and it's difficult to cover the indicator with finger at low shutter speeds. I was hoping there were some tips that would help to deal with this.

5. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    lol i just bought a demo model from cameta to perm slap my bcl on... that light is CRAZY bright! everyone who has seen the new cam has said something about it. i cant believe i never heard about this beacon to pluto before!

6. Kingsfan

Kingsfan Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 22, 2010
    highland park, CA
    Q
    2014-01-15-1171.

tape it (gaffers)

7. PeeBee

PeeBee Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 17, 2012
    UK
    Don't disable that light, it could save your life if you ever find yourself lost in the wilderness! Yes, its a little bit excessive and I used to have a problem with a reflected blue cast in some images. At first I cut a tiny piece of tape that fit perfectly in the dip and let just enough light to show the camera was on. I found it would slide or fall off in time, so after a few replacements, I just trained myself to put a finger over the LED whilst framing a shot. I don't know why they didn't make it a bit dimmer and position it on the back?

8. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX