The first sun since a long time - walk in the afternoon ...

Discussion in 'Black and White' started by rst, Feb 22, 2010.

1. rst

rst Mu-43 Regular

Jan 25, 2010
    Germany
    It has been some time since we really had some sun here in this region. So yesterday we had the sun coming out of those clouds a bit. Who can stay inside then?

All done with the G1 + 20mm, B&W conversion in Lightroom.

Cheers
    rst

• Like Like x 6
  2. Iconindustries

Iconindustries Mu-43 Hall of Famer

G'day Rst, I like your second photo. The sun behind the clouds at that angle really gives a really good impression of a flat undersurface.

I was wondering how you converted the images to black and white in Lightroom? I installed LR on my computer today and was wondering where to change the image. Is it in Library or Develop?

Do you import Raw images? I tried to import raw tonight but LR said it doesn't recognise it.

Sorry about the questions. If it too hard to explain, please let me know and i can find out elsewhere :)

Thanks,
    Brady

• Like Like x 1
  3. rst

rst Mu-43 Regular

Jan 25, 2010
    Germany
    Brady,

I use Lightroom 2.6, but also the 3.0 beta does. Lightroom recognizes the raw files of the Panasonic G1, I do not know how it deals with the other m43 cameras raw format. And yes, I shoot raw because it gives me the most flexibility in post-processing.

If you select an image in the Library module and go to the develop module you can change the handling from Color to grayscale (b&w in 3.0). You have several ways to handle you b&w image then from selective color adjustments to duo toning etc. Just play around with your image, once you are done you can save your changes as a new preset and apply it to other images. Be careful which options to include in your preset. I usually do not include the basic raw handling adjustments.

There is a good amout of tutorials about this topic out there in the web. iirc this is a good starting point: Lightroom Resource Center

Cheers
    rst

• Like Like x 1
  4. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Nice moody sky captured well with the 20mm.

They look great, very powerful and gritty in B&W

• Like Like x 1
  5. hodad66

hodad66 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 27, 2010
    Indialantic, Florida
    wonderful, moody, images....... lovely

• Like Like x 1
  6. jhob

jhob Mu-43 Veteran

They're beautiful, amazing skies. I would be interested to see what the first photo looks like with toning akin to the second.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Beautiful presentation,:bravo-009:
    shooter

• Like Like x 1
  8. rst

rst Mu-43 Regular

Jan 25, 2010
    Germany
    Thanks for the kind comments folks.

It would look like this:

clouds.

Cheers
    rst

9. jhob

jhob Mu-43 Veteran

I think I prefer the toning there! The toning on the first looks just a little overdone, in the way that makes you really notice it. I like toning where it's subtly used and doesn't draw attention to itself.

I also think that the images would work better together if they all had the same toning, that way they become a set, which they are, rather than 3 separate images.

That 20mm pancake sure is an amazing lens!

• Like Like x 1
  10. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

Beautifully done. I tend to comment more within the galleries as I notice people's uploads or see their photos across the top of the forum.

• Like Like x 1
  11. rst

rst Mu-43 Regular

Jan 25, 2010
    Germany
    I tend to agree with you. Thanks!

Cheers
    rst

12. pointoneeight

pointoneeight Mu-43 Regular

Feb 11, 2010
    Brighton, UK
    As of LR 2.5 it supports the GF1 and E-P1 as well.

Lovely captures, send some sun over to the UK please :)

• Like Like x 1