The Fifa World Cup 2010 Thread

goldenlight

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
John
As an admittedly dumb American, can some please explain to me this "talismanic" thing, as in the talismanic Michael Ballack or the talismanic Wayne Rooney. :)

BTW- Goldenlight the photos on your site are really stunning!!

I'm afraid that is a rather overused cliche which is a slight distortion of the true meaning of the word. It implies that the player to whom it is applied is not only super human but also something of a lucky charm. What the user really means to say is that player is significantly better than his team mates and acts as an inspiration when playing, boosting the confidence of the whole team that they can win and therefore making it more likely that they will. It could therefore be said that such a player contributes far more than his own ability and performance by raising the performance of the whole team.

Wayne Rooney is a good example because it is widely acknowledged that England's chances in this World Cup largely depend upon his continued good form and fitness. Were he to be injured during the tournament his loss to the team would be greater than his own performance and abilities because it would affect the confidence and self belief of the whole team. In the past the same thing could be said of Paul Gascoigne for England and Eric Cantona for Manchester United. To put it into an American context, I would imagine that the same could be said of Joe DiMaggio.

Thanks for your kind comment about my website. :smile:

Vidar

Mu-43 Top Veteran
That was really a good explanation of the "talismanic" thing by goldenlight:smile: And I too can really reccomend you all to check out his website :John Perriment Photography: Welcome, some beautiful landscapes there that I only one day can hope to come near to in quality in my pictures...

Anyway, football!

Todays matches are:

Algeria -Slovenia
Germany-Australia
Serbia-Ghana

goldenlight

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
John
That was really a good explanation of the "talismanic" thing by goldenlight:smile: And I too can really reccomend you all to check out his website :John Perriment Photography: Welcome, some beautiful landscapes there that I only one day can hope to come near to in quality in my pictures...

Anyway, football!

Todays matches are:

Algeria -Slovenia
Germany-Australia
Serbia-Ghana

Thanks Vidar. Your Flickr has some great images too. I especially like your B&W work (Barcelona in the rain is wonderful) and it takes a lot of skill and photographic understanding to get successful pictures with a Holga (that row of trees - wow) or a Lomo.

Enjoy todays matches. :smile:

Caroline

Mu-43 Regular
goldenlight - llike Vidar I think your web site is amazing :thumbup: and to me at least, your photography seems to have a great affinity with the Romantic movement and in particular the mountain imagery of Caspar David Friedrich (The Wanderer above the Mists) :smile: - something which I personally really respond to very positively :thumbup:

Bullfrog

Mu-43 Top Veteran
As an admittedly dumb American, can some please explain to me this "talismanic" thing, as in the talismanic Michael Ballack or the talismanic Wayne Rooney. :)

In footballing terms it means the poor sucker on which press and punditry will vent their entire frustration/joy depending on the result of any given match.

Vidar

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Todays results:

Algeria - Slovenia 0 – 1
Serbia-Ghana 0 – 1
Germany- Australia 4 – 0

I am impressed by Germany today, and finally some goals:smile:

stanleyk

I think this is a different German team than the last two World Cups. I still want to see Spain, the Netherlands, and Brazil.

They looked very sharp today. Very aggressive. The score actually could have been worse.

Vidar

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Todays matches!

Netherlands - Denmark
Japan - Cameroon
Italy - Paraguay

Exiting to see two of the favourites in action today, Netherlands and Italy!

(My dear neighbours Denmark is losing :frown:)

Vidar

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Todays results:
Netherlands - Denmark 2:0
Japan - Cameroon 1-0
Italy - Paraguay 1-1

I must say Netherlands looked real strong, really outplayed my dear danish neighbours:frown:

Strong win by Japan in a rather dull match.

And Italy.... Well I think they will grow much better than this, usually a good tournament team.

stanleyk

I managed to get off work yesterday, today, and tomorrow. I'm looking forward to seeing Spain play. I must say my ears have a drone from the vuvuzelas. I'm not sure I can take three more games.....

For more experienced fans which team has looked the best so far? I think Portugal had the toughest opponent so far.

BBW

Super Moderator Emeritus
Your comment about the "vuvuzelas" is so true for me! I can't imagine being their in real life, I'd need ear plugs for sure.

Earlier today a friend of ours from Portugal was watching that game with us and he was appalled at Portugal's playing... I guess he really wanted them to trounce The Ivory Coast team.

goldenlight

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
John
I managed to get off work yesterday, today, and tomorrow. I'm looking forward to seeing Spain play. I must say my ears have a drone from the vuvuzelas. I'm not sure I can take three more games.....

For more experienced fans which team has looked the best so far? I think Portugal had the toughest opponent so far.

Well, North Korea palyed well above their ranking tonight but the true class of Brazil shone through. I know it was against "lowly" opposition but the pass that created Brazil's second goal would have ripped any defence apart and the finish was truly World class. However, the German performance earlier in the week was ominous....

I know how highly rated Spain are but I wouldn't be surprised if Germany beat Brazil 2-1 in the final. Just a hunch.......:wink:

In the meantime, though, lots more games to enjoy - except when England play, I always find that too tense to be truly enjoyable. :eek:

photoSmart42

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I think Germany is the team to beat this year. Simply perfect! After they scored their first goal, they were just toying with the Aussies like a cat playing with a small mouse. They managed to frustrate them into making mistakes, and to get one of their players ejected in the process. Germany looked like they were running on all cylinders.

rst

Mu-43 Regular
I think we can not say much so far. What we saw was mainly teams with fear about loosing the first match and that made most of the matches tie games. The matches were dominated by avoiding counter goals instead of being dominated by going for goals. So what I missed is teams going risk from the first minute and show us that they want to win. At the moment - too many wimps and cowards.

Cheers
Ruediger

Vidar

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I think we can not say much so far. What we saw was mainly teams with fear about loosing the first match and that made most of the matches tie games. The matches were dominated by avoiding counter goals instead of being dominated by going for goals. So what I missed is teams going risk from the first minute and show us that they want to win. At the moment - too many wimps and cowards.

Cheers
Ruediger

I completely agree with this. It can only get better....

Letrow

Mu-43 Regular
This isn't too difficult.
The Netherlands will go to the final, where they might win or lose of course.

If the team remembers to play as a team that is:wink:

Bullfrog

Mu-43 Top Veteran
If the team remembers to play as a team that is:wink:

Never happen. We'll get out of the group but then fracture in a mess of bloodied egos and finger-pointing whinging. Probably much like England as well now that I think about it :smile:

And kudos to the North Koreans - them getting a goal against Brazil, who would have thought it??

Bullfrog

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I think Germany is the team to beat this year. Simply perfect! After they scored their first goal, they were just toying with the Aussies like a cat playing with a small mouse. They managed to frustrate them into making mistakes, and to get one of their players ejected in the process. Germany looked like they were running on all cylinders.

And we learn they've been playing with the new ball for a while....Efficient as always :wink:

They look very impressive.

Latest threads

Top Bottom