The Fifa World Cup 2010 Thread

Letrow

Mu-43 Regular
Never happen. We'll get out of the group but then fracture in a mess of bloodied egos and finger-pointing whinging. Probably much like England as well now that I think about it :smile:

And kudos to the North Koreans - them getting a goal against Brazil, who would have thought it??
:biggrin:My fears exactly

JoepLX3

Mu-43 Top Veteran
This isn't too difficult.
The Netherlands will go to the final, where they might win or lose of course.

If the team remembers to play as a team that is:wink:
Saturday we loose from Japan and we win the final against them?

JoepLX3

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Gosh, Switzerland is 1-0 ahead against Spain!!!
- a little over half an hour to go...

rst

Mu-43 Regular
I know - wow, is right! I don't really follow soccer normally but isn't this rather unexpected? Maybe Switzerland is going against the grain that rst and Vidar alluded to earlier?
No, not really. They stood good in their defense, but they had only two good moments in front of the spanish goal. One resulted in a goal which I would say was more of an accident. Normally I am with the underdog, but this time I feel sorry for Spain. :frown:

Cheers
Ruediger

BBW

Super Moderator Emeritus
Agreed. After I posted that I realized I wasn't being quite accurate. I felt sorry for them, too. As I said, I don't follow soccer normally but this is different.

Looking forward to more - and I really enjoy reading everyone's comments here from across the globe.

goldenlight

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
John
The Swiss did it!
Every World Cup needs a few surprises to make it interesting. :biggrin:

Actually, there are very few "easy" international games these days. That's why I get cross when the English press hammers our national team when they can "only" draw against the likes of the USA. Apart from demeaning the USA who are now a very good international side it puts so much pressure on our team it's no wonder they choke in a big match - each and every one of our players must be terrified of being villified like Robert Green if they make a simple mistake.

Green has been mangled by our press, blamed for our failure to win, depicted as incompetent and presented as a laughing stock with inane headlines such as "Hand of Clod." James has had fitness problems and Hart is still relatively inexperienced at international level. Quite apart from the apprehension this attitude could cause Hart, why destroy the confidence of Green who might yet have a big part to play for us in the competition?

Had I been reporting on the match I would have written along the lines of; "Green makes brilliant save to keep England in the game and atone for his unfortunate mistake earlier." However, despite a cynical pretence of being patriotic, some of our daily press are only interested in selling more papers through sensationalism.

We've actually got a half decent chance of getting to the semi finals if results go the right way and, although I would expect to be knocked out at that stage, with a little bit of luck who knows? As Switzerland have proved today, it's a funny old game. One thing's for sure, though; if we are to progress very far the players need to be relaxed and confident. Unfortunately with all the media hysteria that isn't likely to happen. :mad:

Do other nations knock their heroes down like we do? :confused:

goldenlight

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
John
Interesting to hear Maradona complain about tactical fouls and call upon FIFA to enforce their Fair Play policy. Does that include tactical handballs I wonder?

Yes, all these years later we're still smarting over that one and I can remember how generally dirty and cynical the Argentinian teams of Maradona's era could be when games weren't going their way. If there is one team I would like to see given a good thrashing during this World Cup it's Argentina, principally because Maradona is their coach. :tongue:

BillN

Mu-43 All-Pro
Interesting to hear Maradona complain about tactical fouls and call upon FIFA to enforce their Fair Play policy. Does that include tactical handballs I wonder?

Yes, all these years later we're still smarting over that one and I can remember how generally dirty and cynical the Argentinian teams of Maradona's era could be when games weren't going their way. If there is one team I would like to see given a good thrashing during this World Cup it's Argentina, principally because Maradona is their coach. :tongue:
You are probably too young - but I still remember an Argi right back called Ratin

Oh and Diego wants to stick to sniffing "coke" in the dressing room

goldenlight

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
John
Oh no! The hosts, South Africa, are as good as out of the competition after losing 3-0 to Uraguay. Why couldn't man of the match Diego Forlan play like that when he was with Manchester United?

JoepLX3

Mu-43 Top Veteran
South-Korea is fighting back

75% done

Argentina - South Korea : 2 - 1

They might be scared of Noth-Korea :eek:fftopic:
But they are trying hard to come back from 2-0 and already had some significant oppertunities on 2-2

goldenlight

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
John
Well, I want Argentina to get through to the knock out stages where hopefully we can have a pop at them. I'd love to see Rooney make their net bulge - at least three times - and for Robert Green to save a penalty, which would have been the equaliser, in the last minute of the match. :cloud-9-039:

Bitter? You bet I am! :rofl:

goldenlight

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
John
France v Mexico....mwaahh haah hah!!!! (I'm Irish). Mexico I LOVE you!
On that performance I think the French would have been less embarassed if they hadn't qualified. That was by far the worst performance in the World Cup so far, simply appalling, and us English think we have problems! :biggrin:

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom