The Fifa World Cup 2010 Thread

Discussion in 'The Watering Hole' started by Vidar, Jun 11, 2010.

1. Vidar

Vidar Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2009
    Bergen, Norway
    Yes! It has finally started, the 2010 world cup!

Unfortunately my country didn´t qualify as we were just not good enough:frown: But there are going to be many great matches!

It started today with two draws. South Africa could have gotten a perfect start but Mexico (deservedly) equalised. But what a beautiful goal by SA´s Tshabalala!

Felt the France - Uruguay (0-0) was a little boring, but I am sure that France will show better things later, and also Uruguay with their great forward Forlan.

But who will win? Who are your favourites?

I am cheering for our neighbours Denmark and also really like England. But also really hope to see an African country get far, so many great african players playing in europe.

But I think Brazil will win it! (I know not very controversial).

But who knows, anyone can win! Maybe it will be New Zealand and North Korea in the final, or maybe Honduras will shock us all.

What do you think?

• Like Like x 3
  2. peterpix

peterpix Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 8, 2010
    So. Maine
    Peter Randal
    Ghana soccer

Not a m/43 shot, but a favorite soccer shot.On the beach before CapeCoast Castle where President Obama visited. Ghana's Black Stars are a top team.

Attached Files:

3. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    Probably Spain but Brazil are always strong contenders and you can never write the Germans off (unfortunately :tongue:)

One thing I'm sure of, it won't be England - or any nation that calls football "soccer!" :dash2:

I'm just determined to enjoy some great football, even after England have flown home the day after the quarter finals (I heard a rumour that the plane tickets are already booked :sad010:)

Mind you, we might get a bit further than I think if Rooney doesn't get :banned: and Peter Crouch gets to do a few of his :dance2:. But as for winning it :flypig:. Mind you, if by some miracle we do, I'll be :whoo: :yahoo: :alcoholic: and on :cloud-9-039:

• Like Like x 1
  4. stanleyk

stanleyk Guest

May 26, 2010
    I think Germany will win this one. No one is paying much attention to them.

5. stanleyk

stanleyk Guest

May 26, 2010
    Vidar,

I think the Germans will be very strong in this tournament.

Also, don't count out Argentina.

6. BillN

BillN Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    SW France
    we will see tonight, (tonite?), with the USA - that match will not be easy for England - we may get a shock

But they, footballers, are all a set of overpaid "fairies" anyway and I could not care less who wins...........another good reason not to go near the rectangular box

no photographs please!!!!!!!!!!

7. Vidar

Vidar Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2009
    Bergen, Norway
    I agree stanleyk.. Germany is a team that always do well in these tournament, unlucky that Ballack got injured, but maybe some of the young players will step up?

Argentina too has a great team, I am really looking forward to see what Messi can do! But will Maradonas tactics be good enough?

Todays matches are:

Argentina - Nigeria
    Korea Republic - Greece
    England - USA

Goldenlight, I think England can get far in this tournament. But Rooney needs to keep his temper, maybe the new captain, Gerrard, can controll him?

8. rst

rst Mu-43 Regular

Jan 25, 2010
    Germany
    I think the English team will do very well ... as long as they do not end in a penalty shoot-out :wink:

I am not so sure about the German team. They usually do very well in these tournaments but this time the German team is a pretty young team, so we will see how that goes.

I would think the Netherlands, Spain, Brazil and some other team will be in the final four.

Cheers
    Ruediger

9. Pelao

Pelao Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 3, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    Well, I am not big on soccer, but do enjoy some of the 'big' games. But - my wife is Chilean, so the World Cup is a huge part of our household right now. My oldest monster is in Cape Town right now. She claims it's for the soccer, but I suspect the associated parties are the real attraction...

10. Vidar

Vidar Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2009
    Bergen, Norway
    Ok, good luck England and USA! I am watching and hoping for lots of goals!

11. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

We're watching too! It's pretty cool to be able to do so at the same time.:biggrin:

P.S. Just wish everyone would cool it on those horns.

12. Bullfrog

Bullfrog Mu-43 Top Veteran

The Brit in me (born in N.I) roots for England, my Irish in me will curse Tierry for years to come and the fact that I've lived in The Netherlands for years means I will be weeping into my beer for both Holland and England when they both get hosed in the quarter finals.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Bullfrog

Bullfrog Mu-43 Top Veteran

Half time in the England/USA game. England are f**ked - a midfield that didn't bother showing up and one of the worst goalkeeping howlers in history. On track for a typical England tournament performance :dash2:

14. Vidar

Vidar Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2009
    Bergen, Norway
    That poor keeper must not read the english newspapers tomorrow....

I feel sorry for him, his team mates didn´t even try to cheer him up.. But I can understand them..

15. Vidar

Vidar Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2009
    Bergen, Norway
    Argentina - Nigeria 1-0
    Korea Republic - Greece 2-0
    England - USA 1-1

Had hoped to see more of Messi today, but he was not bad...

South Korea did well, but I was disappointed over Greece...

And England... Well I think they will come back stronger. To bad they have a goalkeeper problem. USA showed that they have a strong team.

Hoping for more goals and better play tomorrow!

• Like Like x 1
  16. stanleyk

stanleyk Guest

May 26, 2010
    Vidar,

Too bad about Green. England really should have won.

I think Germany will surprise in this tournament. Sami Khedira will fill just fine and might change their approach. I still remain unconvinced on Klose and Podolski, but whoever plays them will have to beat them, they won't beat themselves. You put Rooney or Messi on Germany's team and they would be as good as anyone Argentina looked pretty good today. Nigeria is a good team.

My other pick is The Mighty Orange. I think the Dutch will do well.

In the end the obvious teams will advance in this round and we'll find out in the next round who is for real.

Lamm is my only concern with Germany.

Try living in Texas and following the World Cup. I don't know anyone here who is interested. Sigh.......................... :)

17. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    hahahahahhahahahahhahhahahahahahhahahaha

as a scotsman living with an american england doing so badly made my day :)

you have to understand as a scot you are taught to always support the team playing england

big smiles

kevin

18. goldenlight

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    I think it was a very encouraging England performance. Hesky was outstanding and instrumental in many England attacks that breeched the USA defence. Most promisingly, he gelled nicely with Rooney. The midfield were very strong going forward and linked well with the strikers, they also got back quickly and covered well when they needed to defend. Terry and King looked solid and the backs were adventurous, demonstrating plenty of pace when England attacked.

Of course, in the true England tradition they couldn't make it easy, either for themselves on the pitch or for us frustrated fans back home. Sure, Green made a howler, but he attoned for it with very fast reactions to make a save when nobody would have blamed him if it had been a goal. However, the one big minus for the outfield players was their inability to score more than one goal; if they'd capitalized properly on their inventive approach play and scything attacks it would have been a comfortable win and Green's slip would have been little more than a minor embarrasment.

Credit must go to the USA for defending resolutely and taking the attack to England on so many occassions. Contrary to popular belief they are no push over for any team and seem to improve with each successive World Cup. "Soccer" as they call it (and I really wish they wouldn't) is still not a major spectator sport in the States but rather suprisingly it is the most played team sport with the highest number of active participants. The way the game is developing over there it is surely only a matter of time before they join the ranks of the major footballing nations.

Going back to Green's gaff, it's almost mandatory that we have an incident like this or a controversy in every major international tournament. In the past we've had Beckham's petulant sending off, Roony falling foul of his clubmate Ronaldo's tricks, and of course the famous "hand of god" goal. Let's hope tonight's little drama is it for this World Cup - far better to get it out the way in the group stages than have it happen in the semi-final against Brazil, as it did to David Seaman when he was lobbed from forty yards!

• Like Like x 2
  19. goldenlight

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    I'll remember that when Andy Murray gets trounced at Wimbledon! :tongue:

20. stanleyk

stanleyk Guest

May 26, 2010
    As an admittedly dumb American, can some please explain to me this "talismanic" thing, as in the talismanic Michael Ballack or the talismanic Wayne Rooney. :)

BTW- Goldenlight the photos on your site are really stunning!!