1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

the favourite side of portraits

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by silverbullet, Oct 22, 2010.

1. silverbullet

silverbullet Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 10, 2010
    During reflecting my photographs due to the sometimes not so easy to find real good answers for pictor, I made an interesting point of my head shootings......

Most of them have the left side (looking to the object) a little bit pronounced. I would say that this is my sweet spot, but why?

I know, if I would do boxing, my left hand and arm would be the 'leading' hand as I'm a right-hander (hope the translation is clear).:rolleyes:

That means that without even thinking about my movements in front of the subject I nearly always take the same position.

BTW: I heard that polar bears are left-puncher and the dogs from innuit would attack the right side........:biggrin:

For my shooting there are two things important:

1. I feel save and comfortable

2. all pics have a visual 'print' say it's easier to recognize the invisible 'watermark' of my pics.

It could be that due to the above theory the object feels in the opposite way a bit uncomfortable when the approach comes from the 'wrong' side for them and reacts different or softer.....

Whhoww! What an investigation.....could this be or is it the result of too much coffee? :rofl:
    Do you have the same feeling or did you never think about it?

2. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Bernd,
    The old school shooters called that, "His Style".
    Perhaps without realizing it, you rediscovered your style.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Gwendal

Gwendal Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 6, 2010
    Bernd, I'd agree with you on the principle, also because most people feel they have a "good " and a "bad" profile - not sure left is more important than right though. Same thing for the photographer - I know for instance that I have a tendency to shoot the camera slightly tilted to the right.

4. Streetshooter

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Gwendal,
    What does that mean, tilted to the right?
    It's interesting to me... Dunno?

5. Gwendal

Gwendal Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 6, 2010
    I meant not perfectly horizontal. I have a bent back myself, which might explain that ;-)

6. Streetshooter

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Well, that's better...I thought I was the only one who did that....
    or had a bad back.....
    Don