The Faroe Islands - report, Olympus OM-D and pics

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by Tobers, Jun 22, 2012.

1. Tobers

Tobers Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 8, 2010
    Guildford, UK
    I spent a superb week in the Faroe Islands recently. Amazing amazing place. It's pretty cheap & easy to get to (direct from Gatwick, under £200 a ticket if you book early) and staggeringly dramatic.

Whilst I had some lovely Canon kit, I used my Olympus OM-D for almost all my landscape pictures, and everything that you'll see in the links below.

Click the pic for the gallery. Click this for the blog writeup.

• Like Like x 16
  2. peterpix

peterpix Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 8, 2010
    So. Maine
    Peter Randal
    nice work. Love the image on your post and the one of the two girls on horseback. Would have liked to see more people. Maybe your next trip!
  3. alans

alans Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 28, 2010
    Very nice b& work work. I'll be going back to revisit these shots!
  4. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Love the vignetting effect you added.

What sw did you process in?
  5. Tobers

Tobers Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 8, 2010
    Guildford, UK
    Ta v much. All done in Lightroom. OM-D pics are RAW, converted to DNG on ingest into Lightroom. I have some B&W presets which I've had to tweak for the Olympus, but I do like the results. I have colour pics too but the B&W ones suit the subject matter really well I think - very moody place the Faroes.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. thearne3

thearne3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2010
    Redding, CT USA
    Beautiful...probably a bit harder to get to from NY, thanks for sharing!
  7. hsteeves

hsteeves New to Mu-43

Apr 26, 2012
    you have a beautiful set of images and yes, they do work better in black and white.
  8. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    wow man...just wow!. awesome shots, nice review...perfect. Once again with this kind of results you can tell that the magic is not necessarily on the camera itself but on who handles it...congrats on the amazing shots!
  9. jeffryscott

jeffryscott Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 2, 2010
    lovely images and interesting report. Thanks, looking forward to the football report.
  10. Beautiful images. Thanks for sharing the photos & story.

"live bulb", nice feature. Does the OM-D allow you to switch the LCD from color to monochrome?
  11. Tobers

Tobers Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 8, 2010
    Guildford, UK
    Thanks all.

I don't know actually. I guess if you are recording the image in one of the presets like monochrome it will display it in monochrome. I'll have to try it out.
  12. The 1st gen mu43 panys I use allows switches from color to mono. But you need to go through Qmenu, change the film type to one of your B&W options. Wondering if the OM-D give you the option to use one of the fn buttons for "instant" change ? If so, another + for the OM-D. This would be nice for the times I need to compose in B&W. Sometime color is just distracting.
  13. tubedriver

tubedriver Mu-43 Regular

Mar 30, 2012
    Perth, Western Australia
    My thanks for assembling and sharing such a wonderful group of black and white landscapes. WELL DONE!!
  14. tanngrisnir3

tanngrisnir3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 18, 2011
    You lucky skunk UK glorious bastard! You've acquitted yourself and your camera as well in equal measure.

I've obsessed with the Faroe Islands for years, and they're just too far gone for a Californian to find the time to get there, spend there and then spend coming back from there, but your shots are inspiring me to keep trying. That you have them in your relative backyard is envious.

Southern Bolivia, then the Queen Charlotte Islands and THEN the Faroes.

Maybe when I'm 60.
  15. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    Yes, the OLED shows in B&W if you select monochrome. When selecting contrast filters, the result is also displayed. You can add your own contrast filters to the lens, and in conjunction with the built in filters, you can get some really wild effects. By adding filters on the lens, you are actually blocking or limiting light of a specific wavelength.
  16. Yohan Pamudji

Yohan Pamudji Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 21, 2012
    Mississippi, USA
    Absolutely phenomenal work. You have a terrific eye for B&W. Thanks for sharing these photos.

It was also good to hear that the E-M5 was up to the task, although I'm sure you would have gotten great results with whatever camera you had available to you.