The far side of Mt. Hood

Discussion in 'Nature' started by sparklehorse, Aug 12, 2010.

1. sparklehorse

sparklehorse Mu-43 Regular

Apr 4, 2010
    Portland, Oregon
    Last Sunday I did another hike on Mt. Hood. This time it was the Cooper Spur trail, which is on the far side of the mountain from where I live. It's just about opposite from the McNeil Point hike I posted last week, in fact at the top I was only about three miles from where I'd been the week before, yet the drive to this trailhead is nearly twice as long! This hike goes even higher on the mountain, as high as 8600 feet, making it the highest official trail in the state. There aren't as many flowers up here, but the sweeping views are fantastic, and the weather was perfect:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Awesome day on the mountain!

Gordon

• Like Like x 4
  2. john1027

john1027 Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 5, 2010
    Alexandria, VA USA
    Another great sting of images. Is this side of Mt. Hood opposite of where the Timberline Lodge is located?

3. ricseet

ricseet Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 20, 2010
    Singapore
    Hi Gordon, another gorgeous set of pics from the mountain. My fav is the second one.

cheers

ric

4. chuckgoolsbee

chuckgoolsbee Mu-43 Regular

Apr 6, 2010
    Bend, Oregon
    Agreed. Second pic is by far the best.

5. sparklehorse

Apr 4, 2010
    Portland, Oregon
    Hi everyone, and thanks for the nice comments!

John, yes this is sort of opposite from Timberline Lodge. The Lodge is on the south side of the mountain, Cooper Spur is a long ridge on the northeast side. Interestingly, the Cooper Spur area has a historic lodge of its own, the Cloud Cap Inn, which was built in 1889, and barely survived the large Gnarl Ridge fire that scorched this side of the mountain two years ago. The fire went right over the old lodge, but firefighters had already encased it in heat-resistant reflective wrap which likely saved it. The rough, dusty road that leads to the old inn winds through miles of burnt forest now. It was quite shocking to see, as this was my first visit to the area since the fire.

Gordon

• Like Like x 2
  6. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator Moderator Subscribing Member

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    Great series Gordon - I'm not sure I have a favorite, but I love this kind of photography. And I envy you having Mt. Hood nearby to play on.

Question about the mountains we're seeing. I assume we've got Adams, St. Helens, and Rainier in that shot of three consecutive peaks in the 6th shot? And it's the St. Helen's crater sticking up above the clouds in the 5th? I lived in the Puget Sound area for many years (Olympia and Seattle, so a couple of different angles on Ranier and St. Helens) and love those mountains. I had a few shots of them from a plane window a couple of months back, but not nearly so clear. Just trying to get a point of reference.

Thanks for sharing these,

-Ray

7. sparklehorse

Apr 4, 2010
    Portland, Oregon
    Hi Ray,
    Sorry, I probably should have ID'd the peaks in the original post. Here's the scoop:

Pic #5 is Saint Helens (complete with halo, natch)
    Pic #6 (L to R) is actually Broken Top, The Three Sisters, and Mt. Jefferson. So we're looking south in that one.
    Pic #7 is Mt. Rainer and Mt. Adams
    Pic #8 is Mt. Adams

Regards,
    Gordon

8. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator Moderator Subscribing Member

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    I guess I was totally out of whack on #6, but the others are about what I thought.

Thanks,

-Ray