1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

The "family life doesn't leave much room for my DSLR" thread.

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by deprivedofsleep, Jul 29, 2012.

1. deprivedofsleep

deprivedofsleep Mu-43 Regular

Jul 26, 2012
    Northants, UK
    Hello all.

I expect my story will be familiar to a great deal of you. I'm firmly routed in the amateur camp, photography is one of my many hobbies and I'm enthusiastic if not overly gifted.

I already have a modest DSLR kit (D3100, 18-55, 55-200 and a lovely 35 1.8), but as my thread title gives away, we have a 2 yr old son and another baby due in less than a month. These days I'm either too short on time to get any creative photography done or too loaded down with bags to take the Nikon on any family outings.

So when I saw a GF2 with the 14mm 2.5 reduced to £200 I jumped in with both feet.

First impressions are that its fun! I love the way it feels in the hand, and the focus speed is great for off the cuff captures.

Cycling, running and recently climbing are my other interests and I'm hoping to put it's compactness to good use and take it with me.

Anyway this is a great board, already helped me out having read the jpeg tuning threads. Look forward to learning more.

Cheers all

• Like Like x 2
  2. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    Having read your current familly circumstances I can see where your user name came from! Good luck juggling your hobbies around the expanding family! Sounds like the Panasonic is just what you need with all the other paraphonalia you need to cart around with you. Enjoy your photography. :smile:

3. deprivedofsleep

Jul 26, 2012
    Northants, UK
    It really is a revelation to be honest, I bought it on a whim due to it's low price and to serve as a slightly-better-than-a-pas backup to my SLR.

But, ISO performance aside, I'm really very impressed by the results.

4. blue

blue Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2010
    UK
    You know, you can get an adapter for your Nikon stuff ? The 35mm 1.8 may be worth using as a nice portrait lens.

• Like Like x 1
  5. BSH

BSH Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 18, 2012
    WI
    I love, LOVE your subject title. I used to have hobbies. I had a planted fish aquarium that I took care of and built a stand for. Our last fish finally passed away recently, and there are no more animals, and no fish tanks in the house. I used to take photos for fun, and I have a box full of prints & slides from 'back then'. I've taken scarcely any pictures NOT of family in the past 7 years. Heck, I only bought a digital camera to make family snapshooting easy. Only just now am I starting to tentatively get back into any kind of hobby shooting. Our youngest is 4.

Micro Four Thirds may be ideal for photographers with families. You can't pack your DSLR gear in a diaper bag, but you can the GF2. That's all that needs to be said. :)

• Like Like x 2
  6. deprivedofsleep

Jul 26, 2012
    Northants, UK
    Cheers for the tip, unfortunately all my Nikon lenses are G variants so no aperture ring on them. Still might give one a try though for shooting wide open.

Yep, 95% of my shots feature my little boy as the subject these days. I'm not complaining, he's very photogenic! But, I miss taking time out to do it for my own sake. Same goes for the myriad of other interests which gather dust these days. Hence why I intend to combine some of them together to maximize my time.

I've even taken to getting up at 5am some days for a couple of hours to myself, means I can get the best of the days light as well. Planning to do some early morning urban photography and see what I can get.

7. sprocket87

sprocket87 Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 29, 2011
    Nice thread. I'm indeed in the same boat.

I was really getting into hobby photography around the time I got married 6 years ago. I went from a point-and-shoot to a Panasonic superzoom to a Konica Minolta DSLR to a Nikon DSLR (to another Nikon, and another until I got a D700). But then we had 2 kids, and now we have a third on the way (3 in 3 years, woohoo!).

I was at the point where the idea of getting the camera out of the closet/bags, mounting huge lenses, and messing with all that weight was just too much on top of wrangling the kids. A little over a year ago I picked up a used GF1 + 20mm 1.7 to see if it could be "good enough" for the around the house/walkabout/vacation shots. It was, and then some. It got to the point where I never touched my D700 except for the occasional paid gig.

Since MFT was working so well, I decided to sell my whole Nikon kit, get an OM-D and a handful of compact lenses, and start actually shooting again. It's only been a couple weeks but so far it has been great! I get the manual control of my D700, most of the quality, and sooo much more convenience.

If it weren't for my family I don't think I ever would have considered it. But there's a lot to be said for having this much photographic power in a compact, go-anywhere package. Plus I had enough left over from my Nikon fire sale to pay for all my new goodies PLUS a bunk bed + mattresses for the kiddos... with #3 on the way it's time to consolidate! :)

Don't have any kid samples from my OM-D handy but here's some from the GF1+20mm:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  8. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Oh my goodness! This is my life! Haven't even read the thread yet, but thanks for posting and at least writing that title!

9. deprivedofsleep

Jul 26, 2012
    Northants, UK
    Lovely pics, one of the great things about taking photos of your kids is when you manage to nail all their little personality traits and ideosyncrasies in a single shot.

Edit: In fact, whilst we're sharing - here's one of mine: :)
    7671335356_fa157dd0c0_c.
    P1000284 by deprivedofsleep, on Flickr

Please no more though - it's hard enough to resist spending out on the 20mm as it is, I don't want to be swayed any further! :biggrin:
    Doesn't help that Panny have a rebate offer on in the UK at the moment....

Solidarity my brother. :wink:

• Like Like x 2
  10. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

LOl..welcome to the wonderful world of MFT . You can name ur next baby after a MFT camera model..lol :rofl::rofl::rofl:

OlyOMD Smith etc .. or Catherine GF3 :wink::wink:

11. Hyubie

Hyubie Unique like everyone else

Oct 15, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Herbert
    Just wanted to chime in and be counted in this club! :biggrin:

This is one of those "it's so obvious why didn't I think of that" threads. :2thumbs:

12. deprivedofsleep

Jul 26, 2012
    Northants, UK
    Good to know I'm not the only one in this boat. :)

13. msk

msk Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 10, 2012
    NW Indiana
    Mike Kehle
    You most definitely are not!! I am right there with you!

14. deprivedofsleep

Jul 26, 2012
    Northants, UK
    Welcome to the support group? :wink:

GX1 + 12-35 2.8 is a nice setup you've got there. Assuming you ditched your Canon kit to make the change? How you finding it, any regrets?

Been looking at some nice m43 glass and wondering if I should sell up my Nikon kit.

15. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    I understand you completely here as a parent myself :wink: but what I don't understand is how "we" sometimes continue to post some type "ha ha!" thread against DSLR owners.

Different strokes for different folks is how I see it :smile:

16. deprivedofsleep

Jul 26, 2012
    Northants, UK
    Don't think there's any intended "ha-ha" against DSLRs in this thread. More "boo-hoos" that I don't have the time or carrying capacity these days to use mine to its potential!

A camera is a camera is a camera as far as I'm concerned, just some fit my immediate needs better than others.

• Like Like x 1
  17. penfan2010

penfan2010 Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 12, 2010
    NJ, USA
    And it doesn't stop when the kids get older! I had the same sentiments in the first 10 years of having kids; looking back at many of the family photos I took, though, I realized the same photographic "eye" was at work, and my OM-1n didn't feel like it was working beneath it's capability when it was constantly being pointed at babies, little boys, and their sleep deprived mother. The family just became an integral part of the composition: a key foreground "element" in a great landscape, bit players in a typical street photograph, the main point of focus in a beautiful, window-lit group portrait. If anything, shooting regular family life while still striving to maintain great composition and capture great light and the easily-elusive decisive moment helped me become a much better documentary/all-around photographer. And that was before auto-exposure and AF became de-riguer in my cameras! Ultimately we shoot best what we have the most passion and understanding for; it's not surprising that for some of us, family falls into that category.

Now my older boy is 18 and off to college in a week, his younger brother is going into 8th grade, and my wife and I are wondering where all the time went. At least, we can look back at all the fun photographs to remember.

Of course there are images we all still want to make of subjects-other-than-family, and it's important to take the time to go on the solo photo hunts to find those images (just went on one yesterday). And to the OPs original point, :43: sure makes it easier to capture the fleeting moments with family and in other aspects of our lives, just because I am more likely to carry a light :43: than a boat-anchor of a DSLR. Works for my non-pro photographer shooting style and subject matter. :smile:

18. msk

msk Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 10, 2012
    NW Indiana
    Mike Kehle
    Thats what I am thinking!

In terms of my Canon gear I have most of it up for sale. Too much money sitting around not getting used. I would rather help out some other shooter looking for nice glass or a good price on entry level dslr (30D). I loved my 30 and we had some good times together...but this GX1 is just too damn sleek to pass up. I have sen many photos that look amazing coming from this small format. I am anxious to learn the nuances of the Panny!:thumbup:

19. cariocaleo

cariocaleo Mu-43 Regular

Jul 30, 2012
    I agree as well, I loved the performance and IQ of DSLR... But the size was a pain. I sold my DSLR for a GX1. Yay for technology huh?. When did anyone ever think that a little "cropped sensor" could give what we all want? And the ability to haul it around everywhere is excellent.

20. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Agreed none of that in this thread.
    But I still want to make note of your second sentence - a DSLR fits others needs :smile: