The EPL1 kit lens vs the 14-42 II R?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by D7k1, May 8, 2014.

1. D7k1

D7k1 Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Nov 18, 2013
    While I'm buying primes, I still would like to have a "reasonable" kit lens like my "L" 14-42. But I want the MSC focusing and the ability to use the MCON1, at the $99 price shipped at Cameta I just might get it for the quicker focus for video and the ability to use the MCON1. I tested my "L" at 14 against the Pany 14 and at 40 against the 40-150 and it was pretty close. Anyone actually own and compare the image quality of these two lenses? I see lots of references to R being better than the ED (both original and plastic mount version). I'm asking if folks think the R is significantly better optically than the "L". Thanks.

2. penfan2010

penfan2010 Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 12, 2010
    NJ, USA
    I had the Mk1 Olympus 14-42 kit zoom that came with my E-P1; I now own the Mk II R version, and, subjectively (i.e., not via hard-core chart testing, just Mk 1 eyeballing), I have found the Mk II R to be much sharper overall. Much nicer build quality and design, too.

• Like Like x 1
  3. tjdean01

tjdean01 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 20, 2013
    I own the Oly 14-42 kit and I like the oddest thing about it: that it's large. Looks like a real lens vs what I bought to replace it: 12-32. I haven't used the 12-32 much but it seems to lack contrast, even vs the 14-42. The again that was an overcast day so you'll have to ask me about this at a later date.

I was all set to buy the Panasonic 14-45 until I saw that the 14-42 was a better looking built IMO and could be had new for $150. I was even going to get silver and sell the 14-42. But I figured I'd just pay the premium for the 12-32 since there will be cases where I want a tiny lens. But in all me readings, I've found that the 12-42 II Panasonic is a very good kit lens.

• Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.