The end of an "error" - how sad ...

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by Wasabi Bob, Aug 24, 2012.

1. Wasabi Bob

Wasabi Bob Mu-43 Top Veteran

I heard this announcement on this mornings news

"As part of its ongoing recovery efforts after filing for Chapter 11 bankruptcy, Kodak has announced its plans to sell its film, commercial scanner, and photo kiosk businesses."

Read the full story here:
    Kodak announces plans to sell film, commercial scanner, and kiosk divisions | The Verge

It's so hard to accept the fact that the company who virtually gave us photography let it slip right through their fingers. The belief that film could hold it's place against digital turned out to be a fatal "error".

"Kodachrome . it gave us nice bright colors!"

2. stingx

stingx Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 10, 2012
    Weird, NJ
    Hugh Douche
    I was listening to this news on my morning commute. I found it sad in a nostalgic way. I cannot even begin to count how many rolls of Kodak film I must have burned through in the 80s alone. I developed a penchant for Fuji Velvia 100 eventually but I still have those Kodachrome moments tucked away....

3. rhoydotp

rhoydotp Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 5, 2012
    Toronto, Ont
    rpamparo
    sad news, indeed ... unfortunate really. this reminds me of DEC (Digital Equipment Corporation). Both were too slow to adapt to the changing market of their respective fields.

• Like Like x 1
  4. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    For those who once shot film, particularly sad.

• Like Like x 1
  5. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Bad management - plain and simple.
    Evidence = Fuji is stil making film.

Nostalgia = Four Thirds was created by Kodak & Olympus :smile:

• Like Like x 2
  6. TDP

TDP Guest

"I can read the writing on the wall"
    Paul Simon, Kodachrome - 1973
    When I read the news article back a few years ago about Kodachrome production stopping I had that song stuck in my head for a week. I thought Kodak dropped the ball and didn't evolve with the times.

After some reading I found out a Kodak engineer invented the Bayer filter mosaic pattern for CCD color image sensors in the mid 70s, then in the mid 80s Kodak invented the first megapixel camera - so it wasn't like they were missing the digital technology boat or anything. There must have been other problems.

7. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Corporate momentum and compartmentalization played a big part.

8. Just Jim

Just Jim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 20, 2011
    lol I still shoot film, but I don't use Kodak, execpt for some portra 400. It's too expensive at about twice the price of Ilford and Fuji, and doesn't even scan as well. Hopefully, a decent company will pick up their emulsions and improve upon them.

9. RobWatson

10. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    I have an old film camera loaded with a part exposed roll of K64. I'm leaving it like that, partly for nostalgia and partly as a tribute to the company whose products I used exclusively for several decades. Every so often I open the back to gaze at that familiar film cassette - sad, I know.

11. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    Truesense Imaging was already sold. The question is about what remains. And that has nothing to do with digital imaging.

12. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    I have a small unopened package of Kodak Azo paper. The expiration date is 1918.

13. Wasabi Bob

Wasabi Bob Mu-43 Top Veteran

In the good old days.

You got me beat - I have two 1 Qt cans of D-76 and 1 Dektol. I also have an unopened box of Panatomic-X (36 Exp) with a 1976 expiration date. Remember those neat screw top aluminum cans that Kodak film came in?

Has anyone ever tried using "Press 25" flash bulbs with digital?

14. RobWatson

What I mean't was if there is a viable customer base for the products then that division will be bought. Really comes down to a matter of price. If the investors don't want to pay whay Kodal is willing to sell for then no deal (until the two sides come to an agreement).

15. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    Sure. But film production is not a booming industry. At most you can hope for flat growth. And if you take over the factories, you are also taking over the liabilities for the clean up--film plants are nasty toxic messes. Chip plants are nasty toxic places too, but that were also built under tighter environmental rules and have not been operating as long.

16. RobWatson

Guess you won't be in the buyers circle then?

Flat growth ... sounds like my love life (according to some). Wait, is this the old guy thread?

17. madmaxmedia

madmaxmedia Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 20, 2010
    Kodak was at the leading edge of digital actually, and actively sought to develop a digital business as it did see the writing on the wall.

Here is an excellent slide show on this:
    ('slideshare.net/Christiansandstrom/kodak-destruction' since the automatic embed seems broken)

[ame="http://www.slideshare.net/Christiansandstrom/kodak-destruction"]Disruptive Innovation, Kodak and digital imaging[/ame]

18. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    I' ve been shooting more and more black and white film in a couple of rangefinders and am enjoying it, so I don't plan on stopping anytime soon. I just hope the sale includes the recipe for the late, great Plus-X, a film I love, and that whoever takes over keeps making HC-110 That said, the film delivery that UPS just dropped off was for Ilford HP5, Fuji Acros 100, and Rollei (Agfa) Retro 80s, the last two being attempts to fill the void left by the demise of Plus-X. I just never cottoned much to FP-4.

The company that bought Agfa's chemistry business still makes Rodinal, and there is, I hear, a reasonable substitute for Agfa 100 B&W film. But the lovely Portriga bit the dust. Selenium toned Portriga was gorgeous!

There are still film and silver paper folk out here, hiding anti-socially in darkened rooms, inhaling the perfume of photo chemistry, and having a lovely time. If you leave the forums devoted to digital cameras, you might be surprised at how many die-hard film users there are. The digital world has changed the economics of things (thus Kodak's problems), but there are going to be those of us who play LP records and shoot film (not at the same time usually) for some time to come.

19. zpuskas

zpuskas Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 25, 2011
    Santa Barbara, CA
    I loved Agfa films and especially Brovira paper, lightly selenium toned...oh the days.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Llamaman

Llamaman New to Mu-43

Apr 20, 2012
    I still use the little plastic pots 35mm film came in.

With the demise of film, where will I store my elastic bands now?

This is an important issue! ;)