1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

The EM5 regain it's position in M4/3 mirrorless game!

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Halaking, Jan 29, 2014.

1. Halaking

Halaking Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 17, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Morris
    I guess most of us the EM5 owners are happy cause by the unusual features added 2.0 firmware update, I just hope they are keep coming, for some of us did not upgrade to the EM1, this is great refresh for the new year start.

Of course, the EM5 does not have all the features like the EM1, sensor without AA filter, PDAF/CDAF, focus peaking, better weather proof, 1/8000 shutter, better LCD, much better viewfinder, no one doubt the EM1 with the 12-40mm pro is great combo, but if you want to keep smaller body with all the small fast primes, 5 AXIS and weather proof as package, the EM5 still the only option.

If the price factor is concern and the size is matter, the EM1 $1399 VS EM5 $799, I will pick EM5 again!

• Like Like x 2
  2. JamieW

JamieW Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 25, 2013
    I don't know about regaining it's position (I don't keep track of such things), but every once in a while I take a peek into the E-M5 image thread and I'm shocked to see that the camera didn't stop taking great photos when the E-M1 came out. :)

• Like Like x 2
  3. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I don't think it ever lost it's position, the middle and main model of the OM-D line. Unless you are talking about it being the top of the line, in that case it lost to the E-M1 the instant it came out and will never regain that. Overall it is better than the new E-M10 but since it is an older model it is lacking some features, most notably is focus peaking{shame since that could have been added via firmware!}. I predict that a replacement for the E-M5 will be announced before the end of this year. When it comes out it will be almost as good as the current E-M1{I doubt it will have the hybrid AF - Olympus will leave that for the top model only to sell to pros who own 4/3 lenses}.

EDIT! There is a rumor that focus peaking may be coming to the E-M5 very soon!

http://www.43rumors.com/peaking-mode-coming-soon-on-the-e-m5/

If this does happen then the E-M5 will be well placed as the middle model of the OM-D line.

• Like Like x 1