1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

The EM1 and 4K video

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by D7k1, Jun 18, 2015.

1. No, 4K video even with a stills setting has no use for me

14 vote(s)
    46.7%
  2. Yes, I am looking for a 4K camera

5 vote(s)
    16.7%
  3. I have an EM1 and would like to have 4K video and stills

11 vote(s)
    36.7%
  1. D7k1

D7k1 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2013
    So this week we've seen on rumors the statement that Olympus will have future updates for the EM1 and it will be the best video camera in the Oly lineup. If Oly doesn't physically update the EM1 in fall or early winter that would leave almost a year with no change in its video capabilities without a software update for the current EM1. Remember the rumor when one of the EM1 testers said that he saw an EM1 with 4k in the menu system? At $1200 us or below, I would certainly jump at the current EM1 if it had 4K. And I think this would be a huge PR boost for Oly and it would probably make the current owners feel pretty good to get such a performance boast for no big dollars.

The next six months should be an exciting time for m43 users. If I go Panasonic I will have to buy at least two more lenses. If I go Oly then I could get the 12-40. 4K video just has too many benefits to me as a photographer not to want it in my next camera. Would 4K in the current EM1 (even only 30 fps/100 mb) make a difference in what you would buy next?

2. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    There should be an - I have an EM1 and still don't care about 4k video.

That being said, I think it makes sense for Olympus to at least be on par with the EM5 Mk II in video capabilities if not better. Getting 4k video might be that thing they choose to do.
    Then again, they might, as you've alluded, wait for the EM1 Mk II announcement and have 4k there along with other potential things like hand holdable high res mode (or at least a better merging engine to allow for subject movements to a reasonable degree. Perhaps a new sensor, maybe backlit for better hi ISO low light performance.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. JDK504

JDK504 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 28, 2013
    Whats the likelihood that the EM5 II gets an update so it can record 60fps in All i mode?

4. D7k1

D7k1 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2013
    No "I have EM1 and Don' care" because that is a given for many folks here. I'm just seeing if adding it would give additional life if the cycle really goes a year before renew for those who care about such things - me being one:) But if I did have one I would like the extra value it would add to the camera.

5. Growltiger

Growltiger Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2014
    UK
    No option that expresses my view, so I can't vote.
    A software upgrade for 4K would not make it current because for me it is current.
    Or perhaps I don't understand the question.

6. D7k1

D7k1 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2013
    Well You don't need 4K and could have voted that way. A top of the line camera without 4K is behind - Gh4, A7r II, Canon's top camera = all 4K. Nikon lags also without a 4K camera IMHO. 4K is important for folks who need very fast action /turnaround in stills (can you think of any camera that can shot stills at 30 fps?) and the ability to crop in video is a great benefit to wildlife and other outdoor imagers. For you camera is "current" - cameras like Gh4 & A7r II say it isn't IMHO.

BTW the world current in the title referred to the camera you can buy now and not a new version of the EM1.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2015
  7. DaveEP

DaveEP Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 20, 2014
    York, UK
    I have an EM1 but currently use the GH4 for 4K video (professional shoots). Adding 4K video, or quite frankly even 1080p would be awesome as long as they also support 25p! I can't currently use the EM1 for video at all (even 1080p) because it currently only supports Japan / US frame rates. There's more population in the world at 25p than 30p but oh well...!

Adding 4K to the EM1 is wishful thinking. Panasonic said they needed the extra heat sink to make 4K work, which is why the GH4 couldn't have IBIS. However, if they make it work (even 1080/25P - pretty please!) then I'll be happy.

8. D7k1

D7k1 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2013
    The Sony A7R II has IBIS and 4K, so it is possible.

9. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

It (Sony's A7R II with IBIS and 4K) is possible because the hardware had been designed for it. It doesn't mean the E-M1 is hardware designed for it even though the sensor is capable. If in fact the E-M1 was tested & seen (with photos being faked for us to see by that annoying blogger), then it doesn't mean that there is sufficient heatsinking that would allow more than a very short video burst of it. Also, the Panasonic sensor was made available to Olympus for the E-M1 with a restricted use & that contract was for two years (according to Simon) ending in September 2015. It is likely we may see more frame rates (for 50Hz countries) but I'm not sure how much other video features could or will be added though. I guess we'll have to wait & see. Hopefully it will be enough to make the E-M1 a desirable camera for another year for when the E-M1 Mk II would come in September 2016.

10. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    It also has four times the area (more than likely 8 or more times the volume), this massive increase in thermal mass for the same end output is a pretty big advantage if you're pushing a thermal limit (especially if the sensor is already near the limit of what it can do without thermal runaway).

You can't make blanket statements like this because different implementations handle different scenarios differently even if the hardware is otherwise identical (or in this case, not). An analogue of this would be comparing optical stabilization provided by a Sigma, Canon, or Nikon lens; they all do the same job and use the same principals (in the case of Sigma and Nikon they're close enough to ignite a patent war) however they vary in effectiveness despite this. Even different lenses from the same generation and brand have different levels of performance.

11. D7k1

D7k1 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2013
    I said "possible" in general sense in that IBIS and 4k can work (A7R II is proof) I don't know if the EM1 can or will as I don't know how the EM1 is designed. I don't know what will happen but its only a few months until we find out.

12. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    I believe that the A7R II does not use the full sensor, but a crop for 4K. I haven't seen a review of the A7R II using both 4K and IBIS at the same time yet.

I agree that E-M1 needs to add 4K to remain competitive.

13. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Atlanta
    If I wanted M43 4K video, I would have a GH4.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    Rob
    Nevertheless it needs 4k to be considered a flagship. It will need a bigger, higher res EVF, pixel shift, swiveling lcd, more megapixels and improved C-AF. The e-m1 is already being criticized for having too little to offer compared to the 5, mk 2. So it's a given if for no other reason than Oly can't risk the criticism they'd get and still hope to sell them in adequate volume.

Can't wait for it and the new 300mm.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. DaveEP

DaveEP Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 20, 2014
    York, UK
    This may well be true, but if I had to go buy another body today (for photography) it would be the EM1 over the EM5 simply because of the way it feels in the hand.

For video I'd go (and did go) with the GH4, and even now I would with the GH4 over the EM5.

16. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Atlanta
    Not by me. I did not shoot video with my years of Canon DSLRs and I do not plan to do so now.

Not by anyone who's photography opinions matter to me. You can always find a product being criticized by someone.

Looks like over 60% of the poll responders don't care about 4k video either.

17. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    Rob
    Once all high-end cameras are capable of 4k, it will be an issue. Every review, every competitor's marketing will mention the e-m1 in a derogatory manner of it doesn't.

I bought my e-m1 for stills not video, and I'll upgrade for stills related features, but it will have 4k video. I certainly won't refuse to buy because it has 4k. Some won't buy if it doesn't, so Oly has to accommodate.

18. memzinla

memzinla Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 31, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    I wish it had 4K video.

19. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Atlanta
    Likely EM1 Mark 2 will be launched at Photokina Sept 2016 with 4K, high res mode, more pixels, better CAF....etc. I am sure Olympus can hold on until them unless Panasonic really pulls a rabbit out of the hat. If they need to introduce 4k video I am OK with that. It is just nearly as important to me as support for stills. The high res mode, better CAF, higher ISO, more pixels...etc. are the types of improvements are what I would like to have ASAP. Can they introduce them with just firmware changes.....I wish so...but think not.

• Like Like x 1
  20. D7k1

D7k1 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2013
    Or to look at another way, in a rapidly declining market 40% of those do and you will lose that 40% to another brand if you don't respond. 4K will come the question is soon (if technically possible) or later (with the EM1 II), I was just curious about how folks here felt since we have all put our money in Olympus products. To be honest 40% is a very high number, I thought it would be closer to 20% who really wanted/needed 4K.