THe E-PL5 totally amazes me (Warning:9 pictures)

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Malo1961, May 21, 2013.

1. Malo1961

Malo1961 Mu-43 Regular

May 17, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Hi all,
    I thought....lets share my amazement about this little gem.
    Last Monday I went to a small air-show near my home town in the rural N-E of The Netherlands. I just had bought the E-PL5 with the MK2 14-42 kit-lens. No other lenses yet.....
    Not the lens to take at a air-show (I know), but I thought.....Static shots will be my main business there. I could get reasonably close so no problems as expected.:smile:
    After the flying started I thought..."What the heck" , lets see how the AF performs, just for the fun of it, not expecting any keepers with that mundane kit-lens, right? :eek:
    Ahummm......Was I in for a surprise when I loaded them into my PC at home.

Here are the details:
    E-PL5 with the 14-42 MKII Kit-lens
    Weather conditions: overcast with sun (if present) behind me
    All hand held with IS1 activated, AV mode + 1.0 EV (auto ISO)
    Most used aperture: anything between F6.1-8.0
    AF-S with the 1 or 9 center focusing points (a bit playing around) selected.
    Focusing was done on the lcd screen. (no VF-3 yet)
    ORF files converted to DNG and then loaded into LR 3.0 and processed.
    Enough talk, here are the results.

And now the flying ones

The numbers 4-9 are obviously heavenly cropped but that's not my point.
    I am so amazed about the AF and the resolving power of that little kit-lens.
    But maybe you think otherwise. Can't wait to get my hands on the panasonic lumix 100-300 though......:biggrin:
    Please share your thoughts, opinions.
  2. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    Nice shots. I also just got my Epl5 and after some shots I'm very happy with it.
  3. drp

drp Mu-43 Regular

Dec 13, 2010
    Virginia, USA
    Oh my. You're getting my GAS on here.
  4. pcake

pcake Mu-43 Regular

May 3, 2010
    thanks for sharing the pics.

i just got an E-PM2, and discovered that the kit lens delivers faster focusing and more, better bokeh than my previous panasonic kit lenses. i'm actually pretty impressed with the little thing, and your pics definitely do it justice.
  5. Savas K

Savas K Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 10, 2013
    Nice. I hope I get as good performance in this weekend's air show.

No warning is necessary when showing pics in a forum devoted to cameras.
  6. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
  7. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    I like these. Cool planes and nice pictures.
  8. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    The E-PM2 and the E-PL5 are the sleepers of the camera world right now. My E-PM2 is a blast.
  9. g_ngan

g_ngan Mu-43 Rookie

May 10, 2013
    It's obvious that it isn't a warning. It more of an attraction to people.:eek:
  10. Serhan

Serhan Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 7, 2011
  11. AceAceBaby

AceAceBaby Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 21, 2013
    I especially love #9, but I think you did a great job with all of the photos, and I'm glad to see the camera didn't let you down. I think the "kit" stuff is generally better these days, especially the 14-42II.
  12. Malo1961

Malo1961 Mu-43 Regular

May 17, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Thanks to all who posted. I am still amazed about the quality this combo showed. I ordered some prints of the nine pictures I showed here, and they will arrive tomorrow.
    They should be the "proof of the pudding". Meanwhile I am contemplating about buying another lens. The VF-2 will most certainly be bought, but what about a tele.
    I am torn between the Panny 45-200 and the Panny 100-300. The first one costs me € 275 at my regular dealer and the latter will cost me € 499.
    That's a big difference, not only in price but also in weight and portability, I guess.
    Air-shows are not my main subject so for that the extra reach is no valid reason. Any thoughts about what to choose?
  13. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    Well I have the same problema with also the new Oly 75-300II thrown in. But I think I'll get the 100-300 which is maybe the best value for money given it's 300 reach OR a 4/3 70-300 with adapter - that I have.
  14. Malo1961

Malo1961 Mu-43 Regular

May 17, 2010
    The Netherlands
    I just have made the decision to go for another option. The Panasonic 45-150 OIS. The overall sharpness at all the focal lenghts seems amazing according to the tests.
    The lens is more compact compared to the other two mentioned but,I gladly trade in 50mm on the long end for the overall IQ on the total zoom range.
    Specially because I concluded that my daily use of that lens will not need the 200-300 range. 90-300mm in full frame terms will cover most of my needs to be serious.
    So.....excellent IQ, in the smallest package seems the right fit for my E-PL5. Oh...of course I ordered the VF-2 also.
    To finish my GAS attack off, I grabbed the LH 61-C so my amazing 14-42 is now dressed up with a proper hood. The goodies will arrive in two days. :smile::smile::smile:
  15. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    Good choice but for me it's not possible for two reasons: I already have the 14-150 and need the extra reach but there is a new entry; the Oly 75-300 MKII which I read is really good and less expensive than the older one.
  16. jrod196

jrod196 New to Mu-43

May 21, 2013
    Very nice! Good eye --yours and you E-PL5. The colors are wonderful.
  17. Malo1961

Malo1961 Mu-43 Regular

May 17, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Seems logic to me, everyone has his own needs. I noticed the test about the Pana 45-150 here: Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm f/4.0-5.6 Lens Review and that made the decision easy.
    I reckon that if I ever need the extra reach I'll search for a adapted fast manual focus 1:2.8/200 prime. Or perhaps Oly starts making them in the future for :43: :wink:
  18. Malo1961

Malo1961 Mu-43 Regular

May 17, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Another one

This is another one. Only this time I processed it with OV-3.
    I think I might as well skip processing in L.R.3 and start using OV-3 instead.
    The program is fast enough on my PC and I think I like the output better.

19. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    Where did you get OV3?
  20. rfnikon

rfnikon New to Mu-43

May 22, 2013
    New York City
    I live in Manhattan, NY so I will not be posting airplanes with my new OM D -EM5, How about some NYC scenes instead?