The E-PL2 at ISO 3200...

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Ned, May 23, 2011.

1. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    ... is surprisingly appealing!

I was out taking some snapshots last night in dim darkness, and I have to say that I was quite surprised at how my E-PL2 performed at ISO 3200 in comparison with past generation classics like the E-3 or even the E-P1. Now I won't go into the amount of noise and how it compares with other cameras... From a broad sense I have seen that this does not differ substantially on any of the mass of DSLRs and MILs out there, from Canon, Nikon, Olympus, Panasonic, or others. What's amazing is the complete lack of Chroma Noise. This was always a big problem with Olympus high-ISO images even in the E-P1 with its Trupic V processor (vast improvement over the E-3, still). Shoot ISO 1600 on an E-3 in a dark lit hall, and you get blue streaks all over the image. That's impossible to filter out. The E-PL2 with its weak AA filter and Trupic V+ Image Processor however, exhibited absolutely 0 visible chroma noise that I could pick out anywhere at ISO 3200. The blacks are completely black, and where the light falls is only natural color. This kind of image can be filtered out further with Noise Ninja, Neat Image, etc. to remove the grain, as long as there aren't all the bad color streaks that were prevalent in previous bodies...

E-PL2, 25mm, f/2.8, 1/60s, ISO3200

I expect the E-5 with the same sensor, image processor, and weak AA filter, to perform the same if not better. I have only been able to play around with the E-5, as the budget simply doesn't allow me to have one of my own... thus the intermediate purchase of the E-PL2 to tap into the best Image Quality Olympus has to offer these days. ;)
    • Like Like x 4
  2. eyeguy

eyeguy Mu-43 Regular

Feb 26, 2011
    Bay Area, California
    That's amazing! Which lens?
  3. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    25mm f2.8 4/3 Olympus...I believe
  4. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Correct. :) This is my "standard" lens to keep mounted on the PEN when toting it around day to day.
  5. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Thought some of you might be interested to see what this scene looks like in HD video with the E-PL2. :) Shot in Aperture Priority mode, 720p... Don't forget to turn on HD if you have a fast enough connection:

[ame=]YouTube - ‪Fire Show at Empire Ballroom‬‏[/ame]
    • Like Like x 2