1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

The E-M5 12-50 freeze

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Rig Vader, Dec 16, 2012.

1. Rig Vader

Rig Vader Mu-43 Regular

May 24, 2012
    So this happens:

Turning on the E-M5 with the 12-50 mounted, sometimes there is a completely black "image" on lcd/viewfinder. Most things still work, like menus, image playback and super panel. Lens related things, like shutter release, shutter speed and aperture are unresponsive.

Un-mounting and re-mounting the 12-50 does not help it. Taking out the battery and putting it back in, also does not help. Mounting another lens (like the 45mm 1.8 or 25mm) always fixes it and then subsequently mounting the 12-50, it works fine again..

I really don't use the 12-50 much and I've only had this issue a few times, but the pattern has been the same each time and of course it worries me!

Has anyone had similar experiences?

Things to note:
    * I only switch lenses with the camera off.
    * This is not to be confused with the issue, where the cameta froze and would not come out of standby, before taking out the battery (had that a few times with my 20mm, when I still used that).

Thanks for your help and for the awsome forum!
    Rig Vader

2. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    Sounds like you forgot to take the lens cap off. :) Just kidding of course, I am really no help at all.

I would like to see the schematics of these lenses and camera circuits, but then they are likely ASPs and you couldn't tell anything from the schematic anyway. Electronics are getting to be more and more like that. It forces technicians to depend on the manufacturer's troubleshooting procedures (and they usually just say "replace U3").

3. Alf

Alf Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 23, 2010
    Northeastern Tuscany
    I noticed a similar behaviour when using the 14-42mkI on my old epl1, and traced the cause to humidity accumulating on the lens contacts, maybe due to it being a plastic mount. Cleaning the contacts always fixed it.

4. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    Make sure when you attach the lens that you AREN'T holding down the lens release button, as you can turn the lens PAST the locking point, and in that situation you will get those symptoms.

Also make sure the contacts are clean, and that includes the hole for the locking pin as that's also an electrical contact.

5. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    If you've already cleaned the contacts, it could be that you have a defective lens. There have been other reports of issues with the 12-50.