1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

The E-M1, On set with Mutantville Productions

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by JamieW, Feb 2, 2014.

1. JamieW

JamieW Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 25, 2013
    I was invited to shoot the stills for the latest project from Mutantville Productions, an indie horror film company in Albemarle, NC. I had a really good time watching these guys work. You can read more about it on my blog:

http://www.jamiewilburn.com/blog/2014/2/2/on-the-set-with-mutantville-productions

And the larger images on my gallery (way too many to post here):

http://www.jamiewilburn.com/mvp/

All images were shot on the E-M1 with HLD-7 Grip attached, and the 12-40 2.8, 45 1.8, and 75 1.8 lenses. The lighting was a hodgepodge collection of hot lights, ceiling fan, fluorescent bulbs, and window light that all changed throughout the day. I set the E-M1 to cap at ISO 3200, AWB, and Aperture Priority. The color images turned fairly decent given the lighting, but I had intended to shoot the whole thing in B&W. I created a custom preset and applied it across all the images.

I'm pretty pleased with the results, though even with 2 batteries, I found the battery life to be quite depressing. If I hadn't ordered two more batteries last week (4 total) I wouldn't have been able to shoot through the day. I got 378 shots on the first two batteries before changing, but that was over a 4 hour period with the camera being turned off as needed. Out of the roughly 350 shots I took in the studio, I returned home with 2 images that weren't in focus.

Image quality, well, it's an E-M1. See for yourself.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

While I was there, I found the greatest prop ever. They had made a "Lighted mirror", without the mirror, that they were looking to use for the prop. I saw it tucked in the corner and the the first thing I though... "RING LIGHT!" I dragged it outside on the balcony and used it to shoot some of the actors.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 9
  2. fortwodriver

fortwodriver Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 15, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Frank
    Excellent! Very nice! No blimping required I see!

• Like Like x 1
  3. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Great stuff here - thanks for sharing!

• Like Like x 1
  4. nagual

nagual Mu-43 Regular

Aug 25, 2012
    Toronto
    Jamie,
    5 from the top is absolutely nice shot ... the best one for me

• Like Like x 1
  5. Musashi

Musashi Mu-43 Regular

Nov 17, 2013
    Chicago
    Last I was in Albemarle, there wasn't a lot goin' on - glad to see those guys taking advantage of all the filming out there!

6. JamieW

JamieW Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 25, 2013
    I don't know when you were there last, but I moved away in 1998 and it hasn't changed much since. The town has shuffled around, more restaurants and stores have moved in, but overall it's still pretty much about the same. It always had a certain charm to it that I still think back on fondly, but hard to make a living in a town of 6000 people.

7. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Excellent set - sharp, clean, vivid. Beautiful!

• Like Like x 1
  8. Musashi

Musashi Mu-43 Regular

Nov 17, 2013
    Chicago
    There was a girl I knew who lived in Albemarle (and probably still does), but grew up in Mt. Gilead - lots of memories of that place... Actually, I'm glad to hear it hasn't changed much - you're right, it did have a certain charm to it.