1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

The E-M1 IS TOO a cracking good video camera!

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by jurgen, Feb 1, 2014.

1. jurgen

jurgen Mu-43 Regular

Jan 27, 2014
    Just found this on reddit - shot on E-M1, graded in DaVinci Lite.

http://vimeo.com/85603562

Who says the E-M1 can't do video well!?

• Like Like x 5
  2. marcr1230

marcr1230 Mu-43 Regular

Nov 28, 2013
    Nice! What does grading mean? Is that how the camera seems to stay so steady while moving?

3. jurgen

jurgen Mu-43 Regular

Jan 27, 2014
    Grading means color grading, or the process of tweaking the look of the image in post using color adjustments (levels, three way color correctors, curves, etc.) It's similar in a lot of way to the color work you might do in Lightroom or Photoshop, only generally not as comprehensive in terms of local adjustments as you're talking about hundreds or thousands of frames as opposed to just one still image. In this particular case, it looks like he maybe did a minor desaturation, a little post sharpening and then maybe a general curves adjustment through the mid-tones?

Re: steadiness - that's all IBIS, my friend! (I confirmed this on reddit with the user who shot it). Isn't it a wonderful little trick?

4. zlatko-photo

zlatko-photo Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 8, 2014
    Wow! Are you saying he did not use any sliders or steadying devices — just the the IBIS built into the camera?

5. jurgen

jurgen Mu-43 Regular

Jan 27, 2014
    Just the IBIS! Said he was trying to be a "human slider." I'd say it worked!

• Like Like x 1
  6. WasOM3user

WasOM3user Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 20, 2012
    Lancashire, UK
    Paul
    Very very impressive

7. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    he also slowed all the footage down which helps... though some of it does get a bit jittery....still pretty impressive

but a lot of that has to do with his composition and understanding of the medium as opposed to the quality of the camera

in making a good watchable video, the quality of the camera is way down the list

K

• Like Like x 1
  8. WasOM3user

WasOM3user Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 20, 2012
    Lancashire, UK
    Paul
    Sorry I will rephrase "very, very impressive technique"

9. Matero

Matero Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 22, 2013
    Finland
    Very impressive indeed. Is this video a proof of mind over matter? A man has been capable of creating this with useless (according to reviews) video gear :)

10. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I wonder if he used an anamorphic lens or simply cropped to get the 2.4:1 aspect ratio. Great job of color grading for a vintage film look, worked well with the Rome footage.

11. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

So very right! I have seen footage shoot on $10k camcorders that was pure crap and wonderful videos recorded with an iPhone. It is what, where, and how you shoot and then edit it that matters. Heck watch the Digital Rev TV video where they challenge Phillip Bloom to make a video using a camcorder built into a Barbie doll!

[video=youtube;9VS3C183G8g]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VS3C183G8g[/video]

• Like Like x 1
  12. memzinla

memzinla Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 31, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Wow the video was very impressive. Very nice!

13. zlatko-photo

zlatko-photo Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 8, 2014
  14. klee

klee Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 20, 2013
    Houston, TX
    Kevin
    The IBIS system in the EM1 is supposed to autodetect panning motions and reduce some of the periodic "catch up" pans that the EM5 exhibits in IBIS mode 1. But even in the ROMA video I still see some of that going on.

When panning with the EM5, I have to set the IBIS to mode 2 and pan very smoothly. It's great to know that slowing the footage helps a lot.

15. nstelemark

nstelemark Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 28, 2013
    Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada
    Larry

I was very impressed with this review. Makes me much less interested in buying something dedicated to video.

16. broadway

broadway Mu-43 Regular

Mar 27, 2011
    UK
    More like not as flexible as it should be.

17. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
    Once again this shows, that it doesnt matter the gear on hands that 'know' what they are doing.

thanks for posting!.

18. dolbydunn

dolbydunn Mu-43 Regular

Dec 28, 2013
    Ohio
    I would like to see more forum members post videos that they have made with their E-M1 cameras. There are many VERY talented photographers here with Olympus cameras; surely some E-M1 owners are poking that video button when they observe a video moment happening? Let's see them.

By way of a challenge I submit this video clip I made 10 days ago using a Lumix GX7 & 20mm f1.7 lens, handheld high over my head, No editing . . . NO Image stabilization (and it shows).

[video=youtube;wfSCPMadQ1E]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfSCPMadQ1E[/video]

Best watched in 1080p HD.

19. RamblinR

RamblinR Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 16, 2012
    Sunshine Coast, Qld Australia
    Maria
    For those using the EM1 (and also the EM5) for video can you please advise the best way to set this up.

A link to an article on this would be great as I'm new to video and I have little understanding of it at this time (hoping to change that!!)
    Don't want to just push the record button but set up the camera manually to get the best video.

Would appreciate links to setting up OMD cameras for video
    m43 video group/sites to help with the learning process.

Really appreciate any assistance with this.

Maria

20. Andym72

Andym72 Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 4, 2013
    Reading, UK
    I think the judder that is visible in some shots is actually caused by the slowdown. It is probably when the E-M1 chose a shutter speed higher than 1/60s, whereas if the intention was always to slow this down to 24fps, then shooting in M and locking to 1/50s might have avoided some of that.

No doubt this guy has got a bagful of ND filters too.