1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

the dumbest thing i did so far...

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by back alley, May 25, 2010.

1. back alley

back alley Mu-43 Regular

Feb 21, 2010
    was to sell the 14-45 zoom that came with my g1.

i quite like the 20 but when i look at my g1 pics, the kit zoom never fails to impress me with it's incredible sharpness.

i sold it when i got the 14-140 thinking it was a bit redundant but then sold the bigger zoom along with the gf1.

ah well...any regrets you care to share?

anyway, i'm now waiting for the 4/3 macro 35/3.5, along with adapter to play some close up.

• Like Like x 1
  2. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

I'm sorry for your loss, so to speak. I'm sure many could post about their "dumbest" moves, photographically speaking.

Sometimes I look back and think I should have ordered my original E-P2 with the 17mm and not spent the money on the Panny 20mm, but then I have much bigger regrets than that and I can't do much about them either. As they say - hindsight is 20:20.

You could always buy one again, possibly even for less than you sold yours.

Don't be too hard on yourself, backalley because if that is the worst "dumbest thing" you're ahead of 99.9999% of us - myself included.:flowers_2:

• Like Like x 1
  3. Jamus

Jamus Mu-43 Regular

Apr 18, 2010
    The dumbest move I've ever done was to buy a D5000, then buy a GF1.

My D5000 is sitting in the dust right now. :p

• Like Like x 3
  4. Bokeh Diem

Bokeh Diem Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 14, 2010
    Toronto
    14-45 Recent Awards - Impressive

LUMIX G VARIO 14-45mm/F3.5-5.6 ASPH./MEGA O.I.S. H-FS014045

ASSOCIATION
    Stiftung Warentest Germany 6/2009 test result: very good 1,5 [1x very good, 3x good, 1x satisf.]

MAGAZINE
    What Digital Camera UK 5/2010 Gold Award
    Foto Magazine GER 5/2010 Very good

• Like Like x 1
  5. Brian S

Brian S Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 11, 2009
    I bought/traded for three Canon P's.

I traded one of them off...

Three Canon P's makes the perfect combo.

• Like Like x 1
  6. PeterB666

PeterB666 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 14, 2010
    Tura Beach, Australia
    Peter
    I have done plenty of dumb things in my life and as far as photograpy goes, it was to trade in a Nikon F body as part payment for a zoom lens.

Argh, I wish I still had that camera body - THE CLASSIC SLR of all time.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Brian S

Apr 11, 2009
    BTW: The perfect SLR setup is Nine Nikon F's... Ten was too many...

But this is not the one that I sold... If I cut down to 8, I'll post it here.

• Like Like x 1
  8. richie15

richie15 Guest

you could always buy another one

9. PeterB666

PeterB666 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 14, 2010
    Tura Beach, Australia
    Peter
    If it is in top condition and you want to sell it for next to nothing, I have put in first offer ...

• Like Like x 1
  10. Brian S

Apr 11, 2009
    Once upon a time, cameras like the one shown, went for $100. But I'm keeping that one!

• Like Like x 1
  11. kwaphoto

kwaphoto Mu-43 Regular

Jun 4, 2010
    Colorado, USA
    Hmm....dumbest? I picked up a new in box clearance Olympus E-1 from Cameta Camera in Jan 2006 for $650 and the 14-54. I sold it. I missed it. So when I cam back to Oly (after a short sting with Nikon/Pentax DSLRs), I bought a used one again for $425. The used one since has had some issues (sticking CF door) and other minor quibbles that I think my original would not have had...and I would still have the original if the "grass is greener" syndrome didn't kick in....argh. Live and learn.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Tecpatl4

Tecpatl4 Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 16, 2010
    Midwest
    Dumbest: Through a series of misadventures, I obtained from my father a Leica kit, with an SLR and 4 lenses.

I was broke and hungry, and sold it to keep from having my car repossessed.

• Like Like x 1
  13. sinpig

sinpig Mu-43 Regular

Sep 2, 2010
    Superior, WI
    A few years ago, when I didn't think about cameras the way I do now,and thought P&S were the holy grail. My mum called me to tell me that she had some lenses that used to belong to my dad... I said I don't care for them!

In my ignorance I even remember thinking, who's going to want an off brand bunch of lenses (not Nikon or Canon, you know)

Fast forward to last year, the year of my photographic awakening, and I can only wish I had those lenses, they were awesome, the off brand, Voigtlander :(

Oh, well.....

• Like Like x 1
  14. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    In the m4/3 area I when the Oly 9-18 from BH Photo had the $450 price and I did not pull the trigger. I was late for a meeting and figured I would order it when I got back. Too late.

In photography in general probably selling my Minolta CLe. I wish I had those lenses now.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Rick Osman

Rick Osman New to Mu-43

Aug 3, 2010
    London, UK
    Selling my Minolta lenses when going thro' one of those tough times... amongst them Rokkor 50 mm f 1.2 and 250mm mirror f5.6. Would be soooo fine on the GF1.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    That 250/5.6 mirror was sweet - about the size of the 50/1.4 lens. I had a 300/5.6 off brand I sold recently that was not half as good.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Grant

Grant Mu-43 Veteran

So may dumb things so little time. That and I am not sure which is the dumbest as I still have a way to go. But if I limit myself ยต43 cameras then there are two dumb things. I bought a EVF and it was not at all how I wanted to shoot, but luckily they gave me a full refund. But the really boner was, the exact opposite to Back Alley's, I bought a 14 - 45 mm lens that it sits in my pocket day after day, unused. It is not that it is a bad lens it is just, for the way I shoot, a mediocre lens.

All this goes to prove that one man't meat is another man's poison.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Fiddler

Fiddler Mu-43 Veteran

Sold my Contax G2 with it's nice lenses, because I decided film was too much hassle.

Now I'm hankering to shoot some film...

All the best,

Colin

19. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    Tom
    I have a feeling the 14-45 is going to end up being a cult lens, sought after and fetching absurd prices on ebay long after it's gone. I agree with back alley--sometimes when I'm scanning through my pictures I'm absolutely blown away with how good the photos from this lens are.

It's not just sharpness, it's the great contrast and color rendition. An absolute gem.

Glad I held onto mine! LOL

• Like Like x 1
  20. jimr.pdx

jimr.pdx Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 5, 2010
    near Longview ~1hr from PDX
    Jim R
    my dumbest (so far)?

The biggest was probably y2k more or less, when I decided a compact 35mm Pentax could replace my SLR. :eek: That led to regret, digital, and in 2008 back to (d)SLR.

The second biggest followed immediately thereafter: I sold my 40mm f/2.8 Pentax-M pancake, since my new dSLR was an Alpha. Two years later I'd given up on Sony and returned to Pentax (along with :43:), and really wishing that 40 hadn't left me. My 3rd dumbest hasn't happened yet, assuming I give up on either Pentax or :43: :redface:

While I don't like the drifting I've done lately, I must say I've had good luck recently: snagged a K-7 at its minimum price ($745, June) and a G1 with the miracle 14-45 for $300 net. Those moves ease the pain of my dumb stuff.. :cool:

• Like Like x 2