1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

The Dinner Party

Discussion in 'Street, Documentary, and Portrait' started by bullmrkt, Mar 30, 2011.

1. bullmrkt

bullmrkt Mu-43 Regular

Jan 9, 2011
    Here are some shots from my parent's 40th anniversary dinner party last Saturday night. I'm still learning both the GH2 and the Voigtlander Nokton lens so go easy on me, but I'd appreciate any input! Thanks! :thumbup:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Show more

• Like Like x 5
  2. jalex

jalex Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 24, 2010
    Jane
    Your parents make a lovely couple and I think you captured the occasion beautifully.

3. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

I'm with jalex, I think you did very well - it can be quite difficult to get good candid shots. I'm sure your parents will be pleased - and congratulations to them (and to you) upon their 40th anniversary!:thumbup:

You might want to play around a bit with the white balance in some. I don't know what sort of post processing software you use, but you might want to tone down some of the tungsten yellow tones.

I'm sure they'll love to have some prints, bullmrkt!

4. zpuskas

zpuskas Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 25, 2011
    Santa Barbara, CA
    I agree with the previous posts. Nice photos! Though I like the tungsten warmth, it could be toned down a little.

5. Stephen Geis

Stephen Geis Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 13, 2010
    Charlotte, NC
    Looks like a great party! I must have misplaced my invitation ...

Joking ...

Seriously - great captures of the mood of this event. I especially like the shallow DOF in the first couple of photos.

Is it just me, or does the lens seem sharper wide open, than when you stop it down? Not what I would have suspected ...

6. bullmrkt

bullmrkt Mu-43 Regular

Jan 9, 2011
    Thanks guys! Yep, I struggled with the white balance a bit. I used the dynamic setting with +1 sharp and +1 saturation on cloudy wb as recommended by many here. It turned out well in some shots, but too warm in others as you can see. All of these have been cooled down a bit in LR3.3. The house (my sisters) has fairly warm light as is, so I guess I need to tone the camera down, probably tungsten wb.

7. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

bullmarkt, sometimes white balance is part of the creative process, so if you like the warmer ones - keep them that way. Your sister's house is beautiful. I think I could be quite comfortable in that living room.:wink:

I've never used any in camera settings to change my white balance - I set it on Auto WB and correct as needed afterwards...but I know we all have our different methods.

Do you think you might make them a little book of these?

8. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    Nice place, good party, happy people, good food, well documented!

Well done - I'd like to have been there!

-Ray