The Digital Camera features I would like to have

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by, Sep 15, 2013.

1. New to Mu-43

Sep 23, 2012
    I hate the tiny little buttons on my digital cameras. I especially hate that inane mode dial on the top of the camera - its functions belong in the menu system. Who after all wants to switch back and forth between manual and iauto? I yearn for the simplicity of my Pentax Spotmatic where at least the aperature is controlled by a ring on the lens.

I use almost exclusively aperature priority mode. Here is how I think it should work. The camera has enough computer power to do voice recognition. I would say the command, "A" and the lens focus ring would become an aperature ring and every time you pause the twist, the camera would orally tell you the fstop setting. The command "E" would turn the focus ring into an exposure compensation ring, again with oral feedback and the command "I" would return the ring to its native usage. Also the command "O" would lock the exposure (or the focus if you had chosen that in the menu system) and "U" would unlock. Of course the ugly button controls would still have to work in case you are in a noisy environment. Also my choice of commands is just what I would use. You should be able to use the menu system to choose whatever words you want in your own voice.

All this could probably be done in firmware and be downloaded into existing cameras. Maybe Olympus would have to use more system memory and make some of this downloadable aps. Now, how about a budget version of the 35-100mm m43 lens.
  2. LovinTheEP2

LovinTheEP2 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    Voice.... Really... :rolleyes:

If you shoot solely in a mode why would a dial bug you...

I for one don't see how any of those features would help you take better photos.

The small buttons yeah ...
  3. gochugogi

gochugogi Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 8, 2013
    Oahu, gathering place of many cars
    Peter Gunn
    I'd rather have more physical controls and hope I never have to visit the darn menus! I'm really glad I don't have to talk to my cameras and all I have to do is twist the mode dial to switch from Av to M mode! But, yeah, I'd prefer larger dials and buttons on my M43...
  4. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I have one UI design wish... and only one camera I have owned has ever fulfilled it.

All relevant settings must be visible and adjustable via physical dials and indicators on the camera.
    • Like Like x 4
  5. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    I would never buy a camera with voice recognition unless I could turn it off.:biggrin: That being said, I used Pentax for many years and understand your nostalgia for the Spotmatic.
  6. JYPfoto

JYPfoto Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 27, 2013
    I like having dials and having the 2x2 system in the new E-M1 is nice. The new Galaxy camera with minimal dials and almost everything needing to use a touch screen is the opposite of what I think camera enthusiasts want and more of what the cell phone camera crowd wants.

And voice? No thanks.
  7. New to Mu-43

Sep 23, 2012
    The reason I hate the mode dial is that it is always changing by itself like when it brushes against clothing.

The voice controls would allow me to concentrate on taking the picture rather than cursing because I just pushed the ok button when I meant to push the up arrow. The lens focus ring, the zoom ring (when I am using a zoom lens), the shutter, and the power button are the only user friendly physical controls on the camera.

I agree the touch screen controls are corny, and also useless in sunlight.
  8. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    I think voice control would be an annoyance more often than not. At an auto race, for example, it probably wouldn't work at all because of all the ambient noise. At a wedding, or shooting any kind of live performance, the last thing I want is to be talking to my camera.

But I agree it would be nice to have aperture ring on the lens where it could be controlled with your left hand, as opposed to making your right hand do everything. And I share the desire for physical controls that provide visual feedback. That's why I have a GH3. It's not perfect (can't see shutter speed or aperture without looking in the VF or LCD), but it's better than most DSLRs, and definitely better than any other m43 (pending the EM-1, but based on pictures I still think the GH3 will be better in this respect).

I don't think the mode dial on my GH3 has ever changed accidentally, but that's really an easy problem to address during camera design. Just put a button in the middle of the mode dial that needs to be pressed in to turn the dial. I've had several cameras that were designed that way.
  9. broody

broody Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 8, 2013
    Not to mention someone could easily pester you by shouting orders at your camera and change settings while you're shooting! :biggrin:
  10. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    I much prefer buttons and dials to menus. The dial/button setup on my E-P3 is the closest thing to perfection for me. I like having the upper wheel under my thumb and , if anything, I would like another button or two on the back that I could program to my choice of function. I wish the fn2 button next to the shutter could be used for focus lock - it would be far more useful to me. I could focus with my finger, then slide left to the shutter and adjust exposure, then take the shot.
    No thanks on the voice command, but aperture control on the lens would be great.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I would hate having to control a camera via voice control. For one thing it could do things you don't want it to!

It wouldn't be as bad as this but it could get close -

Touch screens are cool for some things{menu and picture review/edit} but even for basic shooting I want tactile buttons and dials. I do prefer having an aperture ring on the lens verses a dial.

I love having a mode dial but I wish they would leave the idiot settings off or make it so you can program them to custom modes. I can't remember ever having accidentally switched modes{a dozen or so different models from Nikon and Olympus}. I have forgotten to set them back and missed a shot because I had it set up wrong but that was user error.
  12. New to Mu-43

Sep 23, 2012
    Ok. Voice controls are maybe not in the cards. But my main point is why not make more use of the focus ring. Let one set it up as an aperature ring when not using manual focus. Focus is by wire so its merely a question of rerouting the twist information. That combined with making the adjustment wheel control the shutter and disabling all the other buttons would make the camera just as user friendly as a Pentax Spotmatic.
  13. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    :rofl: I have no idea if that's really true but it just made my day.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Not sure it is as simple as you make it out to be BUT I can agree that it would be great if you could set what the ring does. I hate the focus by wire and for the most part use native lenses in AF only because of it. Having the ability to make that ring the aperture or shutter speed adjustment would be nice. BTW this is the way the ring thing on the Olympus XZ works. It adjusts the aperture when in A mode and the shutter when in S mode.

You are welcome! It had me laughing when I found it and thought I would share it since it fit with the subject.
  15. yakky

yakky Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    It could be worse, Nikons are riddled with confusing menus and limited functions on "lower" models, ie non $2k pro models. Aside from a menu system designed by an engineer that never used a camera in his/her life, the fact that they INTENTIONALLY lock features is even more infuriating.

Pentax seems to be designed by people who actually use the things. I love my K30. Panasonic isn't that bad though, and Oly makes nearly everything customizable via secret menus.
  16. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    The E-M1 looks like it has the best implementation yet of a mode dial lock; one that you can actually leave unlocked if you don't want it.

P.S. Are you listening, Ricoh? :smile:
  17. dadadude

dadadude Mu-43 Regular

Jun 12, 2013
    San Carlos, CA
    Match needle metering.
  18. Petrochemist

Petrochemist Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 21, 2013
    N Essex, UK
    Voice control couldn't work, but it would be nice to have a camera that read my mind. Automatically switching to the settings I meant to use, focusing where I wanted... not likely in my lifetime!

More realistically I'd like:
    a switch-able hot mirror (similar to Sony's Nightshot, but giving IR & UV response without crippling controls)
    Interchangeable lenses that accept nearly any lens via adapters (as ยต4/3)
    Extreme ISO options in BOTH directions - iso 15 would be useful sometimes instead of ND filters, noise free ISO 25600 would also have it's uses.
    High dynamic range (14 bit or better)
    Good ergonomics
    Weather sealing to a specified IP rating (preferably IP67)
    good IBIS
    reasonable in built TTL flash (GN12+) with additional hot shoe
    quality EVF
    high quality articulated screen
    remote via wire or IR (giving options for sound/like activation)
    tethered shooting options (WiFi/bluetooth & USB)
    fast accurate AF, with focus peaking for manual focus
    rapid selectable burst modes (say 3ps, 5fps, 10fps)
    extended shutter speed range 1/8000s is fast enough, but I'd like to be able to enter speeds in minutes (even if only in a special mode)
    All in a lightweight/strong affordable body.

Note - video is not on my list. I have at least 5 cameras that support video and between them I think I've used it twice - but I don't mind the option being there as it helps sell the camera to others.

Between my cameras and any one of a few I'm drooling after (EM-1, GX7, or K5IIs), most of these are now covered (I don't know of the low ISO/long shutter options and my Nightshot is heavily crippled) - but I want them all in one!

I'm sure others can add one or two features to make the perfect camera. I'm sure there have been a few others I've read about and thought 'Yes, that could be useful'
  19. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Oh Boy, I used a lot of that in my Spotmatics and MX. I do wonder how much of my old exposure magic was due to the incredible latitude of Tri-X.:confused:
  20. Mike Ronesia

Mike Ronesia Mu-43 Regular

Sep 16, 2013
    Mark James
    I have no issues with my mode dial moving on any of my Panny's. They are all nice tight clicks and stay where they are put. What I would like to see is a third dial for ISO. It is good enough now that it should be more convenient to adjust.