The deluge

Discussion in 'Black and White' started by Iansky, Sep 18, 2011.

1. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    I was out with the GF1 and saw this fast approaching angry downpour, just had to grab the image - I guess it saw me and headed my way, torrential rain, thunder & lightning for about 20min then all gone - fun!

• Like Like x 24
  2. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Sweet photo!
  3. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Cool image Ian! I am curious how visible the rain area was before PP?
  4. nueces snapper

nueces snapper Mu-43 All-Pro

That would be a lifetime best for me. I should be so fortunate. :2thumbs:
  5. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Thanks all, the rain was very clearly visible and a clear column - at first I thought it was a Tornado as it looked like a large funnel but it was a continuous column of incessant, heavy rain
  6. ripleys baby

ripleys baby Straw clutcher

Aug 10, 2011

Birdlip ? Great image btw :smile:
  7. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    How great is that? All the drama of the surrounding and the downpour right in the middle. You don't often see it that clearly.
  8. nueces snapper

nueces snapper Mu-43 All-Pro

Reasonably sure that was what is called in weather parlance a micro burst. It is absurdly heavy rain accompanied by a hugely powerful downburst of cold air. They have knocked jet airliners right out of the sky.
  9. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
  10. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Yes Ripleys Baby - Birdlip, a great place for those wide open vistas and the surrounding hills often create interesting cloud formations / weather.

If it was a "Micro Burst" it was a good one and well worth shooting, also delivered a good downpour and mix of weather when it hit - would not want to be flying through that.

We do have some "interesting weather" here in the UK from time to time and I did not have to burn the image in at all.
  11. s0nus

s0nus Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 13, 2010
    Awesome dramatic shot. Really nice balance between the sky and ground and an excellence sense of scale and size. Nice!
    • Like Like x 1