The Deletion Problem

Real Name
Roddy
Well, it's been two years since I got into m4/3, and I love the system to bits. Size, convenience, price and both quality and range of the lenses one can buy is immense. I think back 30 or 40 years and never fail to be impressed by the gear we have on offer today. It's a 10/10 situation for many of us for sure.

However, with the ability to now shoot several thousand images a day - or more often, several hundred - I do wish there was a quicker way to delete, on camera, the rubbish and the 'not so great I really want to keep it - but probably will anyway' rubbish. On my G6 right now, there are three steps to delete a file, and for mass (and quick) deletion one has to revert to thumbnails. I would love a better method I could use to delete, while on a train, plane, in a car, just standing around even....the 70% or so (at a guess) of my shots I never want to have to download to my computer and wade through at home. It's a situation I am sure we all find ourselves in when shooting burst rates for sport, wild-like, macro, events and so on.

What I would love is a 'Delete Folder' on the camera, and here's how I would like it to work. During full-image Playback, there would be the standard 'rubbish bin' symbol on each image, but when tapped the image would go into a 'Delete Folder', with no second option for a user to waste time over. This would automatically, until you empty the 'Delete Folder', give you a chance to rectify a mistake in deletion, and mean the images in Playback are only the ones you are intent on working on. In turn it would speed up the process of sorting through many images quickly instead of taking the typical three steps each time in its current implication. The maths means that for deleting 100 images in-camera. you'd be able to do it in 101 button presses instead of 300 (with a pause between each button press). All of your choices would be in full frame view and not in thumbnail where mistakes are easily made, and where correcting your mistake takes a bunch of further time.

If one was able to do this, then your storage card would be full of just images you think are worthwhile, with a folder of rubbish that a user could choose to delete with a single tap of a button, when needed, or go through again if the need arises. This might mean deleting them when you want to, or perhaps when a message at some stage in the day may help you greatly - "Your SD Card is full, would you like to empty your Delete Folder to regain space?" a sort of thing.

I'm sure a lot of people with different cameras or different systems may already have a deletion protocol that works just fine for them, but I know for the G6 I have, and the GM5 I use that's my wife's, that I'd love something swifter and less clunky, and a Delete Folder would fit the bill really nicely.

Anyway, just a thought for the day, not a rant, I can assure you :)

Last edited:
I think there is no real answer to this problem - while on the move, until some kind of terrific smart glasses appear where you can see full size [what is good/mark it fast/delete all unmarked] we can only hope for 5G instant cloud upload and some ultra smart AI assistant discarding what we won’t care for after initially getting to know our habits very well with full effortless undo & garbage browsing ability built in

or just shoot singles instead missing awfully lot “critical moments” and living with it

bad times for OCD camera users, like me

comment23

mu-43 frequent flyer
Real Name
Simon
Well, it's been two years since I got into m4/3, and I love the system to bits. Size, convenience, price and both quality and range of the lenses one can buy is immense. I think back 30 or 40 years and never fail to be impressed by the gear we have on offer today. It's a 10/10 situation for many of us for sure.

However, with the ability to now shoot several thousand images a day - or more often, several hundred - I do wish there was a quicker way to delete, on camera, the rubbish and the 'not so great I really want to keep it - but probably will anyway' rubbish. On my G6 right now, there are three steps to delete a file, and for mass (and quick) deletion one has to revert to thumbnails. I would love a better method I could use to delete, while on a train, plane, in a car, just standing around even....the 70% or so (at a guess) of my shots I never want to have to download to my computer and wade through at home. It's a situation I am sure we all find ourselves in when shooting burst rates for sport, wild-like, macro, events and so on.

What I would love is a 'Delete Folder' on the camera, and here's how I would like it to work. During full-image Playback, there would be the standard 'rubbish bin' symbol on each image, but when tapped the image would go into a 'Delete Folder', with no second option for a user to waste time over. This would automatically, until you empty the 'Delete Folder', give you a chance to rectify a mistake in deletion, and mean the images in Playback are only the ones you are intent on working on. In turn it would speed up the process of sorting through many images quickly instead of taking the typical three steps each time in its current implication. The maths means that for deleting 100 images in-camera. you'd be able to do it in 101 button presses instead of 300 (with a pause between each button press). All of your choices would be in full frame view and not in thumbnail where mistakes are easily made, and where correcting your mistake takes a bunch of further time.

If one was able to do this, then your storage card would be full of just images you think are worthwhile, with a folder of rubbish that a user could choose to delete with a single tap of a button, when needed, or go through again if the need arises. This might mean deleting them when you want to, or perhaps when a message at some stage in the day may help you greatly - "Your SD Card is full, would you like to empty your Delete Folder to regain space?" a sort of thing.

I'm sure a lot of people with different cameras or different systems may already have a deletion protocol that works just fine for them, but I know for the G6 I have, and the GM5 I use that's my wife's, that I'd love something swifter and less clunky, and a Delete Folder would fit the bill really nicely.

Anyway, just a thought for the day, not a rant, I can assure you :)
Can be achieved (kind of) on an E-M1 Mark II:
  • Card slots set to dual same (same content on both cards
  • Menu —> ⚙ —> H2 —> Quick E
Now when reviewing photos delete is a single press operation but, importantly, it only deletes from the card you’re viewing them on (normally slot 1). This way slot 2 effectively becomes your recycle bin.

In fact, I think I might just set mine up like this now.

Last edited:
Can be achieved (kind of) on an E-M1 Mark II:
  • Card slots set to dual same (same content on both cards
  • Menu —> ⚙ —> H2 —> Quick E
Now when reviewing photos delete is a single press operation but, importantly, it only deletes from the card you’re viewing them on (normally slot 1). This way slot 2 effectively becomes your recycle bin.

In face, I think I might just set mine up like this now.
that seems very useful indeed

Deleting on camera is usually not very convenient indeed. I just keep all photos on the card, copy them to the computer when I get home and then start the selection process. This is 10 times quicker and also safer (because when I accidentally delete a good picture, I can still recover it). But I agree it would be useful if this could be done quickly and safely on camera as well.

With burst shots in particular, it would be useful if the photos in a burst were grouped. And it would be nice if I could select one good picture from a burst and delete the rest, or delete one burst altogether. At least on my G80, all pictures are shown separately, regardless of whether they were taken in a burst or not. Then if I don't like one burst, I have to delete the pictures one by one... (Burst shots taken in 4K photo mode are presented a bit better though, but I almost never use that.)

Bidkev

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Brisbane Australia from Blackpool UK 23yrs ago
I never delete anything from camera as I don't think that a small screen can give you a true representation of the image unless it's grossly bad focus. In thje field I concentrate on taking pics and nothing else as time is precious. I don't even chimp unless I'm taking shots that don't look too good in the viewfinder and I decide to bracket.

I really don't see the "need for card space" as I judge my shots carefully and can't remeber the last time that I shot bursts. I can go camping on a photography field trip for 3 or 4 days and a 16gig card still has space left even when I've shot BIF.

threeOh

Mu-43 Regular
Hats off to all of you. You make it sound like you need to pixel peep to decide what images to trash. I could probably cull on a 2” low res display.

I like the idea.

Bushboy

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Charlie
My m5ii deletes with one press of the trash button.
It’s in the Playback menu.
I know it’s fun to play with the camera, but sometimes you just gotta refrain from taking the pic you know is trash. That’s what I do anyway.

Real Name
Roddy
I know it’s fun to play with the camera, but sometimes you just gotta refrain from taking the pic you know is trash. That’s what I do anyway.
It's typically when I am out shooting insects, especially ones moving on flowers and seeds, that I tend to take too many photos. Trying to catch a bee in the perfect position may take a hundred shots, for example, even in single-shot mode (I long ago stopped taking bursts). If you don't have that eye in focus, it's destined for the trash! I'm sure the BIFfers have the same problem.... :D

this way 5 years ago I trashed by a one-click-too-many the only photo of my wife with her lips apart that she did like (a lot) while waiting to be served at a holiday restaurant... the only one I managed taking in 16+ years of common living (that she liked and did not mumble to me about) :crying:
and no “undelete” available, no delayed trash disposal, no PC around to try recovering it

only double confirmed deleting for me since then... oh how I love my mYPhone... Olympus should copy a trick or two

With burst shots in particular, it would be useful if the photos in a burst were grouped. And it would be nice if I could select one good picture from a burst and delete the rest, or delete one burst altogether. At least on my G80, all pictures are shown separately, regardless of whether they were taken in a burst or not. Then if I don't like one burst, I have to delete the pictures one by one... (Burst shots taken in 4K photo mode are presented a bit better though, but I almost never use that.)
LR allows you to group images in a stack and delete the entire stack. I don't think it will import bursts into a stack, though.

ralf-11

Mu-43 All-Pro
Decades of shooting Kodachrome allow you to refrain from taking the pic you know is trash.

I also use LR to quickly evaluate & delete a lot of stuff.

My problem is finding pics to re-process and improve with LR: I have my photo library piped over to my TV as a screensaver and slide show while listening to music, and often see a pic I think could be improved. But then I have problems finding it on the computer.

JanW

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Jan
Maybe I found a solution for your G6. It works on my GX800 but I haven't tried it on my G5.
In playback mode you can assign a button to mark an image as favourite. One click.
If you mark your keepers as favourite you can then choose 'delete all' and 'delete all except favorites'.

It is not exactly what you want because usually you will have more keepers than trash. But you can try if it works for you.

Edit: it also works on the G5, you have to go into the playback menu, select 'favorite' and 'single'.
The photo's are displayed and with one click you can set them as favorite. Sounds like a hassle but it's quite easy.

Last edited:
Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom