The Dedicated Black & White Image Thread

saladin

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
jason
5EM80323_Nik_Nik_DxO.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited:

mcgillro

Mu-43 Top Veteran

When I was a child (quite a while ago) my grandfather after a beer too many would have a whiskey and sing "Mountains of Mourne". He was born in Coleraine and came to NZ in 1926 (I think). Unfortunately he never got back for a trip, and also unfortunately never spoke of his mother. Tracing my family history was very difficult and rather incomplete as a result. He was ashamed because he was illegitimate .... a reflection of the times, and the pressure on women and children, often the victims of circumstance beyond their control.

CD77

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Chris

stagor

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Stan
When I was a child (quite a while ago) my grandfather after a beer too many would have a whiskey and sing "Mountains of Mourne". He was born in Coleraine and came to NZ in 1926 (I think). Unfortunately he never got back for a trip, and also unfortunately never spoke of his mother. Tracing my family history was very difficult and rather incomplete as a result. He was ashamed because he was illegitimate .... a reflection of the times, and the pressure on women and children, often the victims of circumstance beyond their control.
Just for you,
Where the Mountains of Mourne sweep down to the sea.

Sawdust

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Carroll
At the start of the Katy Trail in Clinton, Missouri.

Barking

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Jeff
It's sad when families lose track... we're English, so just blow-ins, even though we've been over here 10+ years!!...my wife has an Irish grandparent but we've found it really difficult to trace her birthplace...the 1901 and 1911 census details are online and the people at the GRO in Dublin are really helpful..you can email them...if you know their place if birth of County it's much easier for them to trace as the names are all very similar...stay safe😁

D7k1

Mu-43 Hall of Famer

PS IR

mcgillro

Mu-43 Top Veteran
It's sad when families lose track... we're English, so just blow-ins, even though we've been over here 10+ years!!...my wife has an Irish grandparent but we've found it really difficult to trace her birthplace...the 1901 and 1911 census details are online and the people at the GRO in Dublin are really helpful..you can email them...if you know their place if birth of County it's much easier for them to trace as the names are all very similar...stay safe😁

Yes I did manage to find my great grandmother's birthplace, and have her birth and death certificates, and also her father and grandfather's probable birth dates. GRONI was closed for covid19 last time I tried to order more certificates. It's probably time I looked again.

Secretaries at some of the Catholic parishes have also been really helpful ....

Don W

Mu-43 Regular
GX9, Pana-Leica 12-60

Yesterday's snowy scenes

PJ2

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Footbridge, South Stoke, near Arundel, West Sussex

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom