The Dedicated Black & White Image Thread

CD77

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Chris
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited:

Seahawk

Mu-43 Regular

Panolyman

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Brian
There's a fantastic range of tones in that photo Richard.
I don't know how you've done it but the variations are incredible.
I love the graduation in the sky and am baffled by the lack of light on the foreground grass.

Please enlighten me?

RichardC

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Richard
There's a fantastic range of tones in that photo Richard.
I don't know how you've done it but the variations are incredible.
I love the graduation in the sky and am baffled by the lack of light on the foreground grass.

Please enlighten me?
Hi Brian,

It is a fairly contrasty colour original.

I applied a LR black and white profile - I don't know if they ship as standard - should do. (you are seeing the panel after I've applied my split tone - you get monochrome previews normally).

Screenshot 2020-07-27 at 22.07.02.png

Then made a few adjustments to highlights and shadows, nothing radical, plus a bit of dehaze

Screenshot 2020-07-27 at 22.07.44.png

The biggest alterations in tone were made in the Black and White adjustment panel in Lightroom. I got big shifts in tone on the building, sky, pathways and grass with a few sliders.

Screenshot 2020-07-27 at 22.07.58.png

And finally, split toned with a bit of orange in the highlights and a bit of blue in the shadows.

Screenshot 2020-07-27 at 22.08.20.png

That's all in Lightroom. Then over to Photoshop for smart sharpen and a frame.

I've also started using Greg Benz's free web sharpen plug-in to create my jpegs. I've seen a marked improvement in rendering in the shadows for posts on this site.

Last edited:

Panolyman

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Brian
Hi Brian,

It is a fairly contrasty colour original.

I applied a LR black and white profile - I don't know if they ship as standard - should do.

View attachment 837748

Then made a few adjustments to highlights and shadows, nothing radical, plus a bit of dehaze

View attachment 837749

The biggest alterations in tone were made in the Black and White adjustment panel in Lightroom. I got big shifts in tone on the building, sky, pathways and grass with a few sliders.

View attachment 837750

And finally, split toned with a bit of orange in the highlights and a bit of blue in the shadows.

View attachment 837751

That's all in Lightroom. Then over to Photoshop for smart sharpen and a frame.

I've also started using Greg Benz's free web sharpen plug-in to create my jpegs. I've seen a marked improvement in rendering in the shadows for posts on this site.
I thought I asked to be enlightened not baffled. :biggrin:

Actually, that's all quite clear..........

if I only used Lightroom :doh:

But thanks very much for taking the time Richard.

Now, back to your beer....:drinks:

RichardC

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Richard
I thought I asked to be enlightened not baffled. :biggrin:

Actually, that's all quite clear..........

if I only used Lightroom :doh:

But thanks very much for taking the time Richard.

Now, back to your beer....:drinks:
Most of the things I did to that picture would be available in any decent editor. You wouldn't necessarily get the black and white starting profile, but you get very similar options in Luminar. What do you use?

Panolyman

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Brian
I've got Affinity and have very limited skills with it.
I must admit though, that all the technical terms I'm discovering through this site will surely come in handy one day.
There's one big problem though, and I really should have it as my signature:

I'm not a slow learner; just a fast forgetter. :rolleyes:

RichardC

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Richard
I've got Affinity and have very limited skills with it.
I must admit though, that all the technical terms I'm discovering through this site will surely come in handy one day.
There's one big problem though, and I really should have it as my signature:

I'm not a slow learner; just a fast forgetter. :rolleyes:
One step at a time.

I have been using Photoshop on and off for years picking lots of advice up from Youtube.

It is only since lockdown that I have taken the time to follow some online, structured, courses. I'm 55, I don't do manuals, I buy them and put them on the bookshelf, I'm very much a visual learner. I have to watch the courses over and over again until they make sense.

After a while...EUREKA....fantastic, I've finally absorbed and understood Taz Tally's colour correction tutorials on the fifth attempt. Great. Except that now everything I've edited in the past has an obvious colour cast, including rather a lot of stuff that I was paid for.

I have just (as in, last week) started to watch a course on monochrome - I've not really bothered with black and white before.

I have no clever advice for you other than don't waste your money buying other people's profiles/colour grade/LUTs. You can manipulate colours by split toning easily enough in Affinity (see youtube). Also look at gradient maps for black and white.

Panolyman

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Brian
I think I should report one more thing.........

I am officially colour blind. :wtf:

It goes back to when I was at school with those coloured circle charts.
I'd seen some in a magazine my Aunt gave me and couldn't decipher all the numbers.
When we had a medical at school I knew I'd struggle and asked the lad in front of me what the numbers were when he emerged.
During the test I declared what the numbers were and the doctor immediately said I was colour blind.
The reason....they swapped the charts between each pupil!
Even trying again I failed to identify all of them and was told I was red / green colour blind and that I couldn't become an airline pilot.

A few years later (thanks to a pathetic careers officer) I attended an entrance exam for what was then Post Office Telephones.
After passing the exam I was asked to attend an interview, during which I was given a sample of coloured wires.
I thought Id identified them all until I was told there was no grey wire.
Somewhat mystified, I was informed it was 'slate' :rolleyes:

Anyway, I passed the interview and spent the next 40 years crossing peoples lines :rofl:
(That last bit was a joke by the way).

Apparently something like 15 to 20 % of males are supposed to be colour blind, so I'm probably not even alone on this forum.
If my wife says "look at the berries on that tree" I'll not immediately notice them and we've had numerous "discussions" about carpet colours etc.
but on the whole I see most colours fine.

It may seem bizarre discussing all this in the "black & white" thread and maybe I should consider more greyscale work,
or should that be "slate scale" :whistling:

Thanks for bearing with me Richard and I feel somewhat comforted with your mentioning that it takes you more than one look at a video or whatever, to finally sink in. :thumbup:

John King

Mu-43 Top Veteran
@Panolyman Brian, I also cannot do the Ishihara colour blindness test due to a failure of visual pattern recognition. I can see the different colours and shades, but cannot see the patterns. I can easily trace them with a finger, and have learned to do this by eye.

I also passed the PMG wire test with 100% accuracy.

Much later in my psychology degree, I discovered the visual pattern recognition issue.

So I'm not colour blind either ... :).

Colour perception is very interesting - to me, anyway.

Pluttis

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Peter

Will Focus

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I'll call this one...Leaf Erikson

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom