Alpha Whiskey Photography

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Having greatly enjoyed the Dark Knight Trilogy with Christian Bale I happily agreed to shoot this figure of him with his batpod, sent to me by a collector who wanted some action scenes and poses to print.

The sculpt of the face was a pretty good likeness of Bale so that made things easier, although given the mood and tone of the films I still resorted to dark contrasty images, predominantly in a bluish tint. The Batpod model was also quite impressive with lots of detail and even laterally rotating wheels as per the film.

Since I couldn’t find a Gotham City PD cruiser, I used a model from the NYPD that I had bought to make an homage to a friend of mine (a detective in the NYPD), and it’s also a good likeness for the cruisers used in the films.

As with previous projects, I planned a variety of poses that were reminiscent of the film and associated media, all shot on a practical set with lighting and explosion effects added in post.
Backgrounds came from my archives of various city skylines, including New York, London and Toronto.

I used a lot of low angles to make the figure and the Batpod imposing but also to evoke the feel of a graphic novel, which by necessity exemplify the art of making a still image look dynamic.

I enjoyed this one a lot. Some of the images work better than others (as always) but I hope you like them.

1.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

This one below is probably one of my favourites from this project. How a 15cm figure can look like the real thing...
2.jpg

This shot below was lit from multiple angles to have light on the face and the batarang.
3.jpg

For this shot below I added a text box at the top to make the image look like it came from a graphic novel. The figure is standing on a big rock I found by a stream.
5.jpg
6.jpg
6a.jpg

Took this one just to show that the wheels rotate laterally on the batpod as per the movie.
6b.jpg

A good example below of how a not-so-great image would probably make a good poster. Pasted the cruiser shot multiple times.
7.jpg
8.jpg
9.jpg
10.jpg
11.jpg
12.jpg
12a.jpg

For this shot below, I tacked the figure to the surface and then propped the whole thing at an angle, with the camera aimed perpendicular.
This way I didn't have to try and shoot from directly overhead and cast a shadow with the camera and tripod.

13.jpg

Not sure which of these flying shots work so made a few of them :)
14.jpg
15.jpg
16.jpg

Didn't have a shot of Gotham Tower so used a shot of Gothia Towers from my Gothenburg pics :)
17.jpg

This one an old shot I took on Tower Bridge, London. The angle and position happened to be right to fit the shot of Batman on his Batpod.
18.jpg

Well, anyway, that was me keeping busy :)

MORE HERE

VIDEO with BTS EDITING HERE

Last edited:

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Some behind the scenes pics....

Took some images straight out of the box to see how convincing it could be....
19a.jpg

19b.jpg

Made some quick, crappy sketches to plan some of the positions...
19.jpg

20.jpg

21.jpg

21a.jpg

21b.jpg

22.jpg

23.jpg

Some of the city backgrounds I used from my archives:

Toronto (you can see more of my Toronto skyline shots here)
24.jpg

New York
25.jpg

London
26.jpg

29.jpg

27.jpg

Gothenburg
28.jpg

Last edited:

Mu-43 Legend
As masterful as always. The minute I saw the title I figured what it was and who did it, and you didn’t disappoint. As always. Thanks for sharing

Mu-43 Top Veteran
@Alpha Whiskey Photography - yep, they're incredible as always! Surely must have taken ages to plan, set up, shoot and post-process? But very well worth the time and effort for such great shots. Thanks for sharing.
Many thanks! Didn't take that long to plan, I had an idea in my head of the images I wanted but yes, executing them took a bit of time! Post-processing is getting quicker with each project :)

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Legend
As always "winner" does not really indicate how good these are.
Looking forward to seeing your next project.

Edit,
I would be happy if I could take photos as good as your stock archives, never mind the finished product.

Mu-43 Top Veteran
As always "winner" does not really indicate how good these are.
Looking forward to seeing your next project.

Edit,
I would be happy if I could take photos as good as your stock archives, never mind the finished product.
Many thanks! I'm lucky that my travels gave me such a large archive but it reminds me that when all the pandemic privations are lifted I need to get out and do some more real world shooting :)

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Brilliant! What a lot of work must gave gone into these.

Did you indicate anywhere what lens it was you used for the shots? Sorry if I missed it.
Thanks! I probably didn't indicate the lenses. I used the Oly 12-40mm F/2.8 mostly, the Panasonic 8-18mm (for the low angle wide shots) and the Oly 40-150mm F/2.8 (for the shot of Batman and the batarang - his hand stuck out a little too far for my liking so the zoom gave me a little more compression).

Last edited:

beeker

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Haha, amazing work!
I worked on the visual effects of "The Dark Knight" (mostly the batpod sequence actually), so these are fun to see!

Danny_SWE

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Wow! Great as usual. Good scenes there! I especially liked the Gothia Towers photo :) Appreciate your behind the scenes photos also! It gets you to appreciate the main photos even more with greater understanding.

(I saw this Justice League flick a few weeks ago with Flash asking Batman, "What are your superpower?", Batman replied "I'm rich" :D )

(Somewhere deep in some box I have this He-Man figure, will try find it. Great inspiration for boring days this)

Latest threads

Top Bottom