1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

The curse of IS

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Kiwi Paul, Mar 12, 2012.

1. Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 15, 2011
    Aberdeen Scotland
    Now I'm using the G3 and the only lens with OIS is the Lumix 100-300 so I'm shooting most of the time without any form of IS at all.
    I'm a fairly good hand holder and take care to brace myself to minimize any camera movement.
    Over the last few years all my cameras have had IBIS and I've adjusted to what I can shoot handheld without any appreciable blur, even when viewed 100%.
    But now using the G3 and no IS at all I have been still shooting the same way, old habits die hard, with the result that the pics look fine.......until viewed at 100% when small amounts of motion blur can be apparent even with reasonable shutter speeds :\
    Typically now I use the rule "Min shutter speed is 2x the focal length" (this is for 4/3 and m4/3 for FF and 35mm the rule is min shutter speed = focal length, but this is only ever a guide) but even this isn't enough at times and motion blur is still apparent on shots viewed at 100%.
    The only solution is too really ramp up the shutter speed and the ISO as well assuming the aperture needs to be a set value for DOF reasons. I'm also going to use a monopole a lot more now, something I used to do but I got lazy and stopped using one.
    It's surprising how much IS helps, something you just take for granted, get used to it then have to revisit your technique when you don't have it.
    IS isn't a necessity but without it you do have to be a lot more careful.
    Just my observations from my own experience.

Paul

2. Aegon

Aegon Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 3, 2011
    Portland, OR
  3. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I see an OM-D E-M5 in somebody's future...... :cool:

4. Kiwi Paul

Aug 15, 2011
    Aberdeen Scotland
    Maybe, I like the G3 though and can learn to cope with no IS, it's just old habits die hard.

Paul

5. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Quit checking things out at 100%. My father said that every time he goes to the doctor he gets bad news ... so he quit going to the doctor. (rim shot)

While typically, if it's not sharp at 100% I will can the image ... but lately I've been accepting a hint of blur.

Gary

PS- No IBIS will make you a better photog ... but it will also drive you to an early death.
    G

• Like Like x 1
  6. BSH

BSH Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 18, 2012
    WI
    I've never had IS of any sort. I say you're spoiled. ;)

Heck, I'm only one step removed from film, and I marvel at people who complain about usable ISO that only goes up to 3200. (!)

:)

• Like Like x 1
  7. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    I'm still having trouble getting used to the idea that shooting at 800 isn't an act of desperation! I still rarely go over 400.

Fred

• Like Like x 1
  8. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    LOL ... any manipulation, above or below the native ISO, is an act of desperation.

G

• Like Like x 1
  9. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    Every time I've bought a panasonic camera, I inevitably end up selling it for this exact reason. I've just become used to having IBIS, and hand holding down to 1/10th or less at wider angles (where I do most of my shooting).

10. My A3 Trash file contains the most images. Darn loupe. Adopted a new perspective. If the image is acceptable except for the hint of blur at 100% just limit the print size!

Paul, recent acquisition of the 100-300mm. Have yet to take more than a few practice images free holding. At 300mm there is no ways I can hold the lens without seeing shake through the G2 evf. Real apparent motion when boosting the image while using manual focus aid. Only one series of images taken of some Canada Goose. All on tripod. Forgot to shut off OIS. That & a real narrow dof is adding a new challenge. More images for the Aperture3 trash can.

11. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    And the relevance of viewing at 100% is what, exactly?

I never show people my photographs at 100%. And if I'm showing them on a large screen (say, a TV), they're viewed from further back. So yes, by all means try to eliminate camera shake induced loss of sharpness, but if the problem is only visible at 100% my reaction is "so what?".

12. Kiwi Paul

Aug 15, 2011
    Aberdeen Scotland
    A photo with visible blur at 100% looks less sharp and detailed at "normal" viewing sizes than one that is sharp when viewed at 100%.
    Also I do occasionally crop a photo and the remaining cropped section is a 100% blow up.
    Here's an example, this is a 100% crop, if motion blur was evident I wouldn't have been able to use it like this.
    The uncropped version is below it.

Paul

P1020033.

13. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    I think it's fair to say that the image quality at 100% is not necessarily relevant. However, I don't think it's right to say it doesn't matter. If an Olympus which has otherwise the same hardware and lenses will turn out a better picture at 100%, you've got better data period. I, too,rely heavily on IBIS even with the primes and it's that lone fact keeping me from jumping ship entirely to Panasonic.