The Coronavirus, and should we be worried ordering stuff direct from China?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Never made National news here. Not that I'm aware of it. But that sort of thing could happen over a Holden vs Ford, or a best beer dispute

Interesting reactions.
When fruitfly outbreak occurred here last year the place went into lock down.
Blueberry rust same.
Doing the wrong thing landed you in serious trouble.

Here too we have prohibition on pig products due to the African Swine fever.

One could argue "only a pig" or "its only a harmless fly", yet it's taken seriously by primary producers and governments alike.
Seems humans aren't treated same with such strict quarantine measures, at moment.

People are being called racist here because they react when they encounter a person of Chinese origins.
This virus kills, and when confronted with someone that is of the ethnic nature of place of origin it's a tough ask to be embraced, welcomed or however you put that, with welcome.

Brownie

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Tim
Never made National news here. Not that I'm aware of it. But that sort of thing could happen over a Holden vs Ford, or a best beer dispute

Interesting reactions.
Blueberry rust same.

One could argue "only a pig" or "its only a harmless fly", yet it's taken seriously by primary producers and governments alike.
Seems humans aren't treated same with such strict quarantine measures, at moment.

People are being called racist here because they react when they encounter a person of Chinese origins.
This virus kills, and when confronted with someone that is of the ethnic nature of place of origin it's a tough ask to be embraced, welcomed or however you put that, with welcome.
Yeah, same stuff here. I just thought it was funny. Not quite as funny as Mini Mouse beating the crap out of a security guard, but still pretty funny!

wjiang

Mu-43 Legend

Interesting reactions.
Blueberry rust same.

Humans don't tend to be treated like animals. We don't eat or otherwise kill humans when it suits us. It tends to be frowned upon by most cultures.

Quarantines are fine, I'm all for it. But don't apply racial profiling to it, and certainly don't treat every person with an east asian face like they're carriers, when they're already in the country, and haven't even been to China (or not even Chinese!).

I think that's all I'll say on that front... A reminder that politics is against TOS.

piggsy

Mu-43 All-Pro
Quarantines are fine, I'm all for it. But don't apply racial profiling to it, and certainly don't treat every person with an east asian face like they're carriers, when they're already in the country, and haven't even been to China (or not even Chinese!).
I'd like to go another angle and suggest: maybe this problem can kinda, solve itself? Let's say you have a group of people who are Definitely Not Racist, because they'll make sure to tell you that, and in doing their definitely not racist thing they self select to spend more time with people from countries with much larger clusters of unvaccinated people, spending time with famously non-zoonotic animals that are Definitely Normal such as chickens, cows, or pigs, and whiling away the hours over-consuming them, again definitely a thing with no health risks. Loneliness is known for its immune boosting effects in the elderly also, so might I suggest indulging their preference not to be embraced. We can end this disease together :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom