The Coronavirus, and should we be worried ordering stuff direct from China?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stanga

Mu-43 All-Pro
With the recent news about the Corona virus, I am wondering about the direct implications for many of us. I saw news footage of people clad in protective gear going around spraying surfaces with disinfectant. So assuming that the virus can be passed on from a person onto the surface of an item, could there be a danger at the other end when someone then handles that item at a later date?
Are there any doctors or other qualified medical experts in the field of micro biology etc who would like to give their opinion on this?
I myself have a weak respiratory system, and do order regularly direct form China. But I have been reluctant to do so in the last few weeks.

Stanga

Mu-43 All-Pro
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
According to this documentary evidence, yes:

According to medical science: it's not actually airborne and requires inhaled droplets as from a cough or sneeze directly transferring deep into your lungs.
Well Homer did predict that Trump would be president, so.....

piggsy

Mu-43 All-Pro
The BBC says the virus can survive on a surface for up to a week.
The virus surviving (as in, not disintegrating or dessicating beyond recovery) is not the same as successful transmission/infection of a new host.

As far as I can tell the latest on CDC's page is still saying that as far as they know, cases are transmitted by droplets -

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/about/transmission.html

3tz8zFQ.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

further:

DrZkdv1.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

If this spread like, eg, measles, by even limited duration contact with infected surfaces to a membrane + infectious over the air, then you'd have an extremely serious problem (12-18 people infected per infected person!). It does not look like it's doing that, at all.

Stanga

Mu-43 All-Pro
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
According to the latest news images coming out of China, people are starting to drop dead in the street.

Brownie

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Tim
As scientists race to understand how the virus is spreading among people in China, at least 18 other countries have since reported cases. The United States and South Korea on Thursday confirmed its first cases of person to person spread of the virus.

Scientists say transmission of the virus is most likely between people with close contact, like families. But there have been reported instances of people who may have had less exposure to the virus in Japan and Germany.

The coronavirus has now infected more people in China than were sickened there during the 2002-2003 outbreak of SARS. Virologists believe it originated at a seafood market in the eastern Chinese town of Wuhan when someone or a group of people came into contact with wild animals being traded there.

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), coronaviruses are common in camels, cattle, cats, and bats. Person-to-person transmissions are thought to occur when an infected person coughs or sneezes, similar to how influenza and other respiratory pathogens spread.

Other ways the virus may spread from an infected person to others is through touching or shaking hands, or if a person touches a surface with the virus on it, then touches their mouth, nose, or eyes before washing their hands
, the CDC says.
The quote is an excerpt from a news article.

I think it's too early and there's too little information to declare anything at this point. Person to person, surface to person, it's all still a possibility. Stories and opinions are still too widely varied. Note that the quotes in this article are from the CDC, the same group that issued the statement in piggsy's post, yet in this article it mentions surfaces as a possibility.

In short, they still don't know.

wjiang

Mu-43 Legend
Actually because of all the unknowns with this virus maybe a healthy dose of fear is called for. But you go ahead with your visit to China and good luck to you.
Concern, yes. Caution, yes. Fear, no - rationality is a better response. Fear tends to spread and turn into paranoia and them-versus-us types of response.

I'd be foolish to visit China at this point - I'm not a fool.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom