1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

The cheapest macro option

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by thomastaesu, May 8, 2013.

1. thomastaesu

thomastaesu Mu-43 Regular

Nov 16, 2012
    ATL, GA
    Thomas
    With 14, 25, and 75, I got most of the FOV covered. What would be the cheapest macro option? Legacy with adaptor or Raynox 250?

Any help would be appreciated.

2. iamajai

iamajai Mu-43 Regular

There's a few options, but the ones I'm familiar with are:
    1. Vivitar 55mm f2.8 of which I have the Canon FD mount. It focuses down to 1:1 and in my opinion is really sharp. Purchased in Canada for ~$100 + cost of adapter.
    2. Canon 50mm f3.5 macro FD mount is also around the same price, but only goes to 2:1 unless you find it with the matching extension tube or can find your own.

3. mnhoj

mnhoj There and back again

Dec 3, 2011
    Los Angeles
    John M
    Legacy close up lenses will allow infinity focus which IMO is very useful for that shot just out of the focus range of the raynox.

I'd also like to recommend a 50mm 1.8 and extension tubes. Decent for the close up and w/o tubes will fit nicely in between the 25 and 75 for portraits.

4. mh2000

mh2000 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 3, 2010
  5. juangrande

juangrande Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 2, 2012
    COLORADO
    There is a pentax 50 f4 macro w/ adapter for $75 in the buy/sell.

6. heli-mech

heli-mech Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2012
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Andrew
    There are extension tubes on ebay for $50 with full electronic contacts that would work with your 75mm.

7. thomastaesu

thomastaesu Mu-43 Regular

Nov 16, 2012
    ATL, GA
    Thomas
    I have a Nikon 50mm f1.8 from FG20 with cheap adaptor to m43. Will extension tubes work?
    How do I control exposure?

8. mh2000

mh2000 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 3, 2010
    They're kind of short, so probably need to use the 25 for 1:1, but yeah, that is cheap!

9. heli-mech

Mar 9, 2012
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Andrew
  10. mnhoj

Dec 3, 2011
    Los Angeles
    John M
    Exposure is done automatically in aperture mode.
    I use a K ring set. Keh.com had the K2-K5 set for $11. Now it looks like all they have is the full set. Still not a bad deal at $25.

Nikon Manual Focus EXT TUBE SET K (K1-K5) NON AI - - KEH.com

A pic of them on my 50mm 1.8.
    8722592746_23d7e88352_c.

Max magnification @ F5.6.
    8722597662_2d099fc10d_c.

I really like them because I can vary distance/magnification.
    Without the K5- my favorite extension length. F2.8?
    8689864464_eae71469be_c.

Some literature..

Extension Tubes - Nikon F2 Macro-photography

Also take a look at the M2 tube or/and PN-1(with tripod mount). Both can be had a relatively good price as they are non-AI spec and will damage modern bodies unless modified. Here's a pic of the setup with a 55mm micro. Not too practical but fun.
    No idea as to the magnification factor. :confused::biggrin:
    [​IMG]

11. christofp

christofp Mu-43 Regular

Jul 21, 2012
    A very nice option is the cheap but very sharp Oly mFT 40-150mm zoom combined with a +2 or +3 diopter.

You pay about 150$E for the zoom and 50$E for a Marumi diopter.

You get 1:2 magnification (35mm FOV), sharp lens, fast AF and comfortable working distance of 33cm.
    Oh, not to forget: you get a good tele zoom.

I had a Oly35/f3.5 and I tested the new Oly60mm macro. The 35mm AF is very slow and the 60mm was very comfortable but I could not justify spending 600E.
    The zoom lens makes nearly as good images, at the end I sold my 35mm and did not buy the very compelling 60mm macro.

Note 1:
    Meanwhile I have replaced the 40-150 by a 75-300mm which might not be an option for you. This is also a very nice macro lens combined with the macro converter.

Note 2:
    If you don't mind the fixed FOV of 5cm (about 1:3 mag) you can combine your 75mm with the +3 diopter. Very sharp but the fixed FOV makes it less useful for me compared to the tele zoom. And aperture 1.8 is not really helpful for macro ...

12. Petrochemist

Petrochemist Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 21, 2013
    N Essex, UK
    Mike
    Or a stacking ring - allowing one of your lenses to be reversed in front of another.
    Some lens combinations don't work well, due to vignetting, but results can be very good. The reversed lens basically works as a highly corrected diopter, giving magnifications around the ratio of the lens focal lengths.

25 reversed on 75 = 3x
    14 reversed on 25 = 2x

Working distance with µ4/3 lenses will unfortunatly be very minimal (~2cm), but trying your existing kit first makes sense. For test shots you can just hold the lenses with the filter threads in contact, if it works connecting rings are ~$5. I use this technigue quite a bit with my SLR, when the 100mm macro doesn't get close enough :biggrin:

Slightly more expensive but still giving reasonable results can be some of the c mount lenses on e-bay, No AF but for macro that's no loss.
    I got a 25mm f1.4 c mount, with adapter & 2 extension rings for under $30. I'm now tempted to get the similar 35mm set as well.
    Here's my trial shot with the c mount (fully open & handheld):

Attached Files:

13. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    I find that inexpensive extension tubes offer the least expensive macro method, and don't risk introducing additional glass that could compromise the image.

14. heli-mech

Mar 9, 2012
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Andrew
    Agreed, with the understanding that the longer the focal length of the host lens the less effectice extension tubes are but the more effective closeup filters are.

15. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    I hadn't seen those extension tubes but it looks like there are a handful of different options - I would go that route with the 75mm as well, that should give a good close focus capability. Interestingly they look like direct knock offs of the Kenko tubes for about 1/3 the price. Wouldn't surprise me if it is the same Chinese company making them in a different factory and undercutting Kenko's profits.

16. mnhoj

Dec 3, 2011
    Los Angeles
    John M
    Is the increased effectiveness due to greater working depth?

17. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
  18. darosk

darosk Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 17, 2013
    Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
    Daros
    Looks like 26mm of tubes will get you close to 1:2 mag on the 75mm, which is cool to know since I've been looking at the ebay auto tubes as well.

19. heli-mech

Mar 9, 2012
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Andrew

Magnification is greater with tubes the shorter the lens is, opposite is true for closeup lenses.

See here for more info ->Macro Extension Tubes & Close-up Lenses